The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Celtic or Girvan seem like the obvious choices. 

Is it common to get a testimonial from a team who you merely supported?

Undoubtedly deserves it, though wouldn't put it past them to send their U17s.

16 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Somerset Boab telling folk on twitter who we are signing. 

He seems to be getting back in with the bricks, how long before the next tantrum. 

I noticed he's decided to try to apply the same nonsense onto the Tartan Army. Peak 'yer da' material. 

Yep looking like Murphy.  No sure how we will lineup with him. Won't be a direct replacement for Dipo, can't seem him playing as a central lone striker and won't be a winger in a 442.  So most likely supporting striker.  Will reserve my excitement as with these older experienced pros, never seems to work out for us.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

Yep looking like Murphy.  No sure how we will lineup with him. Won't be a direct replacement for Dipo, can't seem him playing as a central lone striker and won't be a winger in a 442.  So most likely supporting striker.  Will reserve my excitement as with these older experienced pros, never seems to work out for us.

He had Chalmers and Mullen playing as narrower wingers for a couple of months as part of a front three, Assuming he doesn't fancy playing JML or O'Conner every week and rightly not playing Ashford and McKenzie there, we need another wide player. 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

He had Chalmers and Mullen playing as narrower wingers for a couple of months as part of a front three, Assuming he doesn't fancy playing JML or O'Conner every week and rightly not playing Ashford and McKenzie there, we need another wide player. 

Possibility, hopefully has the legs for that role, sure Saints fans like know a little more.

57 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Think it’ll be a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with Murphy on the left and able to cut inside. 

7 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

:lol: Literally word for word what I put in the whatsapp earlier.

I presume it’s a done deal then. I’m guessing it’s basically a Mullen replacement but on the other side. Fits the experienced type that Bullen was on about but I’m hoping he contributes more than Maguire. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Will reserve my excitement as with these older experienced pros, never seems to work out for us.

Was going to say that the club had more success in this area with centre halves and midfielders, but there is one standout over the last 10-15... Mark Roberts.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I presume it’s a done deal then. I’m guessing it’s basically a Mullen replacement but on the other side. Fits the experienced type that Bullen was on about but I’m hoping he contributes more than Maguire. 

Yeah, the one we were all sure on.  He has been more active than Maguire so you would hope so.  If it's that type of role from the left, you sort of hope that we bring in a left footer to have that balance we had with Chalmers and Mullin.  That allows one or 2 of Ashford, JML or O'Connor to leave.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Was going to say that the club had more success in this area with centre halves and midfielders, but there is one standout over the last 10-15... Mark Roberts.

I still think he is unfairly left out when we talk about the likes of Dipo, Shankland and Moffat. An unbelievably intelligent striker and if he hadn’t played for Killie he would’ve been more appreciated amongst our fans. 

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Mendes, Beattie, Kyle et al give me the shivers thinking about them.  Steve Bowey one of the better ones.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I still think he is unfairly left out when we talk about the likes of Dipo, Shankland and Moffat. An unbelievably intelligent striker and if he hadn’t played for Killie he would’ve been more appreciated amongst our fans. 

Think it was his managerial stint rather than the Killie link.  He was brillaint for us and I think he was even a popular choice once he took over from Reid.  However some of the teams and players he signed and reluctance with youth etc just gnawed away all the good faith with the fans.  

Murphy feels like a very high risk signing.  Will take a big wage out of us and there are obvious concerns about whether he still has the legs to play out wide.  Sounds like he was never more than an impact sub for St Johnstone which is no use to us if that’s all he’s now capable of.   It’s a decade since he was a vaguely prolific goalscorer, so not sure why anyone thinks we would be playing him as a forward.