The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Ultimately any new players will come in when they and their agents decide to.

That's the market we're playing in.

They don't really care when our league campaign starts or that they might miss out on a trip to McDiarmid.

Surely you're playing in a better market than 'we'll get to you when nothing else is available'?

If you're willing to spend cash, you're at the front of the queue in this league, and even in front of several Premier clubs. 

28 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Ultimately any new players will come in when they and their agents decide to.

That's the market we're playing in.

They don't really care when our league campaign starts or that they might miss out on a trip to McDiarmid.

If I remember correctly we had this same conversation last year and the year before.

Maybe Season Tickets should only run from September then......

4 minutes ago, baba douche said:

Surely you're playing in a better market than 'we'll get to you when nothing else is available'?

If you're willing to spend cash, you're at the front of the queue in this league, and even in front of several Premier clubs. 

I honestly don't think we're paying transfer fees or suddenly shopping in a different market to where we were before.

In fact I'd be interested in knowing if our average wage is going up as a result of Dipo being sold.

I don't think much, if anything, changes.

28 minutes ago, baba douche said:

You'd certainly like to think so but sadly our board still has the "Wee Ayr United" mentality. It seems to be infecting a few posters on here too. 

23 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I honestly don't think we're paying transfer fees or suddenly shopping in a different market to where we were before.

In fact I'd be interested in knowing if our average wage is going up as a result of Dipo being sold.

I don't think much, if anything, changes.

If that's the case then what was the point in selling him? 

As I've already said with Dipo being away aswell as our two highest earners (probably) off the wage bill then we should have plenty to bring in 4+ top quality championship standard players. Failure to do that is a terrible look for the club imo. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think there's 250,000 points to selling him. You'd rather have it than not obviously.

Maybe I'll be proven totally wrong but I can't see us going out and dramatically outbidding teams for players whether that be in a transfer fee or wages, nor doing anything different than what we've been doing before.

hope I'm proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

As I've already said with Dipo being away aswell as our two highest earners (probably) off the wage bill then we should have plenty to bring in 4+ top quality championship standard players. Failure to do that is a terrible look for the club imo. 

Say we use it to get a bunch of guys we couldn't normally afford. 

What happens next season when we once again can't afford them?

250k also just isn't a large sum of money. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Say we use it to get a bunch of guys we couldn't normally afford. 

What happens next season when we once again can't afford them?

250k also just isn't a large sum of money. 

I guess the argument to that would be better players = better league position, better cup runs, better crowds and more prize money for the following season. 

If we don’t add a top end championship level striker we’ll be getting relegated. We might avoid a relegation battle if we only brought in two of that quality. 

38 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If I remember correctly we had this same conversation last year and the year before.

Maybe Season Tickets should only run from September then......

It shouldn't come as a surprise then.

That's the way it is, as I see it the player has a massive power edge in negotiations at this stage of the season, not always, but usually. Especially if they have other teams very much interested and not a lot of other alternatives for clubs to move onto.

Like every team we’ll have a process and budget and it will be a case of playing the waiting game, especially for the types of players that will see themselves as difference makers at our level.

Wattoo was spot on earlier, there is no way the squad as it stands is costing as much as last season in terms of wages. There will be money to make additions and it should be 4/5 quality additions as well. Right now, there is a real dearth of quality in the starting 11.

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I guess the argument to that would be better players = better league position, better cup runs, better crowds and more prize money for the following season. 

If only it was that easy. 

You forgot the bit about administration when it doesn't quite go as smoothly as you predict.

7 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

£250,000 won't matter a shit if we're languishing in the bottom four all season, which is where this squad currently sits for me.

Agreed, but I don't think anybody thinks there aren't other players still to come in.

Its just a case of when.

25 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You'd certainly like to think so but sadly our board still has the "Wee Ayr United" mentality. It seems to be infecting a few posters on here too. 

I don’t think they do. I think that’s something that’s thrown around when they don’t think the board are being “ambitious” enough. 

I'd just add that getting in a replacement for Dipo using the money we got for him has two factors - the purchase price and the salaries of the new players (taking into account what we pay the current group). I wish my club good luck.   

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

If only it was that easy. 

You forgot the bit about administration when it doesn't quite go as smoothly as you predict.

We literally have a transfer fee of 250000 plus the prize money from last season to finance it, no idea how that ends in administration. At no point did I suggest wildly signing players out of our budget, we are discussing bringing in four good championship players.