The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No idea what the state of play is with right backs or who’s even out there that could do a job. 

Michael Smith but he has been on trial at Cheltenham lately.

Apart from that most likely to be a premiership loan or loan from down south 

*which don't usually get decided until near deadline once squads are finalised

Edited by Rb123

It's bad enough that we don't have a RB BUT It's actually doubly bad (potentially a nightmare) as our right sided centre back is also going to be a makeshift stand in and the right sided midfielder is going to be making his scottish league debut.

What could possibly go wrong......

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Same goes for left back. We've known about the fullback issue since the start of the summer and the club still haven't addressed it which is a shame as the rest of our business seems really promising. 

Don't think it's a fact of it hasn't been adressed but our targets have chosen to go elsewhere. I know of two left backs we tried to get who went elsewhere and i'd imagine an approach was made to Liam Smith who down at Cheltenham will likely be on £2/3k a week which would have blown us out of the water in terms of being able to compete with that. 

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Same goes for left back. We've known about the fullback issue since the start of the summer and the club still haven't addressed it which is a shame as the rest of our business seems really promising. 

We’ve at least had a decent looking left back in the league cup games. If Reading can half as good as that in the league we’ll be fine but we either need to see Ecrepont push him more or replace him with someone who can. 

12 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's bad enough that we don't have a RB BUT It's actually doubly bad (potentially a nightmare) as our right sided centre back is also going to be a makeshift stand in and the right sided midfielder is going to be making his scottish league debut.

What could possibly go wrong......

Morton only have 4 defenders in total on their books and one of them, Broadfoot, will be 39 in a week. None of the 4 are a right back (Broadfoot at 39 no longer counts).

We had been playing centre back Darragh O'connor there until Jack Baird got injured, reducing our number of defenders to 3 and meaning O'Connor was needed in the centre of defence again.

We have since been playing midfielder Cammy Blues there.

Blues is suspended for Saturday.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Morton only have 4 defenders in total on their books and one of them, Broadfoot, will be 39 in a week. None of the 4 are a right back (Broadfoot at 39 no longer counts).

We had been playing centre back Darragh O'connor there until Jack Baird got injured, reducing our number of defenders to 3 and meaning O'Connor was needed in the centre of defence again.

Call it a draw and all meet in the Norseman? 

24 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'd agree with that. Recruitment in all other positions has been really good. We do really need full backs though - I would be pretty disappointed if we don't get some in soon, because it's been a clear and obvious weakness of the team for a while now. The current full back options are not going to cut it.

When we last signed a right back, our only natural one currently was 14 years old.

We last signed a competent left back in 2018. 

The problem predates the current recruitment setup but those involved have done nothing to fix it.  

12 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

When we last signed a right back, our only natural one currently was 14 years old.

We last signed a competent left back in 2018. 

The problem predates the current recruitment setup but those involved have done nothing to fix it.  

Who was the last competent left back? Daniel Harvie? IIRC he wasn't rated by some in his 1st season. 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Who was the last competent left back? Daniel Harvie? IIRC he wasn't rated by some in his 1st season. 

It was the usual folk, mostly on Facebook, writing Harvie off. 

He really stood out once we had Forrest in front of him in his second season. Probably the best left hand side we’ve had in my time watching Ayr. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve at least had a decent looking left back in the league cup games. If Reading can half as good as that in the league we’ll be fine but we either need to see Ecrepont push him more or replace him with someone who can. 

You have to remember the opposition. Reading ain't the answer. I would be delighted to be proved wrong but he's on Houston trajectory at the moment. I fully expect him to rock up at Queen of the South in the summer. Maybe even sooner.

58 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I'm feeling strangely optimistic for Saturday now... 

Happy John Candy GIF by Laff

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I see ex Sheffield Wednesday player Matt Penney still hasn't got a club.  

Hide contents

Christ, you'd wank yerself into oblivion if he signed eh? He's even SCORED for St Pauli

Edited by mugen_power