The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I keep saying this but there is a big big difference between League 1, League 2 sides and a poor St Johnstone side compared to seasoned Championship sides. Morton were always going to be a very different proposition. Our first three league fixtures are a proper test.

Rose has to start tomorrow and lead the line. I'd be tempted to pair him with Amartey tbh. With Bryden and McKenzie on the bench. It'll be interesting to see how we line up especially if Murdoch can't make it. I'd personally like to see Smith play (if Murdoch is out) because I think he helps the defence in a deeper role (collecting the balls from the centre backs - especially McGinty) and his range of passing is pretty good.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I agree that Bryden and McKenzie aren't yet capable of leading the line, however they were entitled to a shot as the previous week they were both excellent and Bryden in particular looked like he'd come on leaps and bounds since last season.

It didn't work but ultimately we didn't really have anyone else to play there (which is an indictment in itself) as Rose obviously wasn't ready and McGeady also looked well off it.

The bottom line is that we're still a few players short in some really important positions and until we get people in / people fully fit, then we're likely going to struggle.

I was impressed with Bryden against Alloa, but I thought McKenzie was pretty anonymous and didn’t look like scoring even against a geriatric Andy Graham.  

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I keep saying this but there is a big big difference between League 1, League 2 sides and a poor St Johnstone side compared to seasoned Championship sides. Morton were always going to be a very different proposition. Our first three league fixtures are a proper test.

Rose has to start tomorrow and lead the line. I'd be tempted to pair him with Amartey tbh. With Bryden and McKenzie on the bench. It'll be interesting to see how we line up especially if Murdoch can't make it. I'd personally like to see Smith play (if Murdoch is out) because I think he helps the defence in a deeper role (collecting the balls from the centre backs - especially McGinty) and his range of passing is pretty good.

Pendlebury has to start tomorrow as he's made a telling contribution in every match he's been involved. Yes, it could be argued that he had a big part in the Morton equaliser but he did score and looked more involved than Dempsey and Murdoch when he was on. Smith would possibly be much more involved than McKenzie and give us much more control of the game.

Whatever the formation or the personnel, tomorrow has now become massive, especially as Inverness also lost their first match and if it ends in another defeat for us then there's no doubt the knives will be out !!

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I was impressed with Bryden against Alloa, but I thought McKenzie was pretty anonymous and didn’t look like scoring even against a geriatric Andy Graham.  

McKenzie seems to be favoured for his running, workrate and nuisance factor as opposed to being any sort of threat himself.

He's a good guy to have in terms of the squad and a 100%'r, however he's definitely not good enough to be a regular starter.

24 minutes ago, Iain said:

I sometimes think when McAllister is at RB and Reading at LB that when Murphy tucks in and Reading bombs on that, until Reading gets back upfield, McAllister could/should rotate round to make it a back 3, with the two central midfielders shifting to their right to effectively make it a 3-4-3. Might be because I love a 3-4-3 though.

Doesn't McAllister do that anyway? That's like fullback 101 when the opposite side goes forward. 

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Pendlebury has to start tomorrow as he's made a telling contribution in every match he's been involved. Yes, it could be argued that he had a big part in the Morton equaliser but he did score and looked more involved than Dempsey and Murdoch when he was on. Smith would possibly be much more involved than McKenzie and give us much more control of the game.

Whatever the formation or the personnel, tomorrow has now become massive, especially as Inverness also lost their first match and if it ends in another defeat for us then there's no doubt the knives will be out !!

Okay then, how's about? 4-1-4-1 transitioning to 4-3-3 in possession with Amartey and Murphy pushing up so Rose isn't isolated.

Albinson

McAllister Musonda Stanger Reading

Smith

Amartey Pendlebury Dempsey Murphy

Rose

8 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

At least it seems we got fees for O’Connor and Hewitt thou paid for Stanger, Pendlebury and Amartey according to that post

Knew they’d paid a fee for Stanger as it was reported Alloa were due a development fee. 

Presume Amartey and Pendlebury were under contract or are English club due a fee if a player is under a certain age? 

10 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

At least it seems we got fees for O’Connor and Hewitt thou paid for Stanger, Pendlebury and Amartey according to that post

Was just gonna post that. Didn't believe Ayr had received anything for Daire 🤔 that's not necessarily a bad thing mind.

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Knew they’d paid a fee for Stanger as it was reported Alloa were due a development fee. 

Presume Amartey and Pendlebury were under contract or are English club due a fee if a player is under a certain age? 

My guess is (assuming off FM logic as usual) it’s probably developmental for Pendlebury and possible Amartey as well

Would it not be more sensible if we either scrapped the transfer window altogether or had it open during the Summer but closed tonight since most major league seasons begin tonight / tomorrow ??