The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s going to be one of those players who’s two or three steps ahead of the rest of our players and that might go against him. 

The amount of stick he was getting yesterday was unreal. People saying he should’ve been subbed off earlier or that he looks like he can’t be arsed are so far off it. Someone was moaning at him because the ball kept “rolling under his foot” when he was doing it deliberately to get the ball out his feet quicker. Only thing I can criticise yesterday was his corner kicks but then again I’m not sure if he’s been told to aim for the near post. 

I don’t actually think he was great yesterday considering how much he has to offer, but he was still our only creative outlet. We also managed to get him one v one with someone a total of one time - at the end of the first half. I think you can already see signs of him getting frustrated as he ends up dropping so deep to get the ball. Once we have him in a team with Murphy and Chalmers that should help him hugely as he will actually have people on his wavelength to link with. 

I noticed people moaning about him too, I’m going to put that one down to certain attitudes. In terms of our starting side he was probably about tenth in line in terms of players to complain about. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread as well, he still has a decent initial burst of pace - which I wasn’t remotely expecting. We haven’t as players as exciting as this behind the striker for a long time - it’s just a shame about what’s in behind them. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t actually think he was great yesterday considering how much he has to offer, but he was still our only creative outlet. We also managed to get him one v one with someone a total of one time - at the end of the first half. I think you can already see signs of him getting frustrated as he ends up dropping so deep to get the ball. Once we have him in a team with Murphy and Chalmers that should help him hugely as he will actually have people on his wavelength to link with. 

I noticed people moaning about him too, I’m going to put that one down to certain attitudes. In terms of our starting side he was probably about tenth in line in terms of players to complain about. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread as well, he still has a decent initial burst of pace - which I wasn’t remotely expecting. We haven’t as players as exciting as this behind the striker for a long time - it’s just a shame about what’s in behind them. 

Yeah I don’t think he’s going to be suited to playing as a ten which is where I thought he’d end up for us. He’s a player you want to get squared up to a full back and get crosses or shots away. Think at this level it’ll be too easy for teams to crowd the midfield and make it hard for him whereas if he’s out wide he should get more space. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I don’t think he’s going to be suited to playing as a ten which is where I thought he’d end up for us. He’s a player you want to get squared up to a full back and get crosses or shots away. Think at this level it’ll be too easy for teams to crowd the midfield and make it hard for him whereas if he’s out wide he should get more space. 

At the same time though I do like when he drops in a bit and takes the ball as he is so good at progressing it. Like you say, I don’t think that is where he is at his absolute best though, but I guess it all just depends who is best suited to that central role out of the three of them. Ultimately they can all interchange throughout the game!

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The North Terrace being out of commission might be a factor as is cost of living but I think they wouldn't be as big factors if the performances were better.

It's very fickle of me and I don't mind admitting, but I like to stand at the football and have done since I was 5  when I first went, now 39.  Always done half way line shooting up the way,in line with 18 yard box into SRE.   My son is 7 and has a season ticket for the terracing, as does his grandpa. 

It's rubbish now - we have to either go to the stand and sit (me and grandpa don't like it) or stand behind the nets at the front row so wee man can see a wee bit (shite view for the rest of us).  

The fact that it's awful football, and in my personal situation a rubbish experience compared to normal, and 2 quid dearer, I just can't find any motivation this season.   

Edit - it's a very personal moan that, and I am of course 100% in favour of the work that's getting done on the new stand etc 

Edited by Hursty

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

At the same time though I do like when he drops in a bit and takes the ball as he is so good at progressing it. Like you say, I don’t think that is where he is at his absolute best though, but I guess it all just depends who is best suited to that central role out of the three of them. Ultimately they can all interchange throughout the game!

Suppose if nothing else it leaves us with options on the bench to change a game. Start with Chalmers and McGeady and then you’ve got Amartey or Murphy on the bench or vice versa and so on. At the end of the day I think we need something else up front. Rose looks quick and he presses well and won the ball on a few occasions but I’m not sure if that’s all he’s bringing. He’s not had much a sniff of goal in the last couple of games but that’s more of how we’re setting up with zero attacking intent besides one or two players. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Suppose if nothing else it leaves us with options on the bench to change a game. Start with Chalmers and McGeady and then you’ve got Amartey or Murphy on the bench or vice versa and so on. At the end of the day I think we need something else up front. Rose looks quick and he presses well and won the ball on a few occasions but I’m not sure if that’s all he’s bringing. He’s not had much a sniff of goal in the last couple of games but that’s more of how we’re setting up with zero attacking intent besides one or two players. 

We’ll have a far better idea in terms of Rose after Saturday, but we still need another striker ideally anyway. I would still be getting three of the guys in behind on at the same time as they are our best players but it’s good to have options. I’m assuming Rose can play up front himself, given I’m guessing they had this formation in mind when they recruited him!

6 minutes ago, Hursty said:

It's very fickle of me and I don't mind admitting, but I like to stand at the football and have done since I was 5  when I first went, now 39.  Always done half way line shooting up the way,in line with 18 yard box into SRE.   My son is 7 and has a season ticket for the terracing, as does his grandpa. 

It's rubbish now - we have to either go to the stand and sit (me and grandpa don't like it) or stand behind the nets at the front row so wee man can see a wee bit (shite view for the rest of us).  

The fact that it's awful football, and in my personal situation a rubbish experience compared to normal, and 2 quid dearer, I just can't find any motivation this season.   

Edit - it's a very personal moan that, and I am of course 100% in favour of the work that's getting done on the new stand etc 

I think it's the people that's doing me in about it, I've avoided standing in the Somerset Road End for years because of the roasters and being in surrounded by them is pretty depressing.  

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I think it's the people that's doing me in about it, I've avoided standing in the Somerset Road End for years because of the roasters and being in surrounded by them is pretty depressing.  

I’ve been going for the enclosure, a limited view due to the dugouts in places but better than sitting or behind the nets and it seems okay roaster wise so far…

I actually wanted to try there to get a sense of what Bullen was like on the touch line, but he doesn’t do very much from there at all. 

Is it Bullen to blame, or the recruitment team.    

Pendlebury is the perfect case to discuss.  He's been signed on I think a 2 year deal while Murdoch and Dempsey are fit. Maybe 3rd choice, would like to think Is a centre mid so will presumably be better than or challenging them considering it's a new signing.  Paul Smith presumably 4th in line at this point. 

Pendlebury Has scored 2 goals but possibly at fault for conceding one at Morton.    The first 2 get injured and he still can't get a start.  Smith comes right in and Musonda who is never a CM in a million years becomes the main man. 

We then sign Jack Young. A centre mid. 

Is it just me or is something going seriously wrong here? Who signed this guy that by mid to late August is  5th choice CM behind Murdoch Dempsey Smith and Musonda, and then we sign ANOTHER in the same position? So Pendlebury is now presumably 6th choice on a 2 year deal.  That's mental.   

And no amount of Bullens shite tactics should deflect from that.

8 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

If Bullen doesn't fancy Pendlebury and he ends up released in Jan or next summer then the recruitment process needs serious questions asked about it. Would be an utter joke if that happened.

It's just not clear if Bullen has any input in the signings or not for me. 

The "head coach" being given a squad to work worth is what they do at Chelsea etc at the top level but I'm not sure it's working here.  

Edited by Hursty

16 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Will Ahkeem Rose score 10 goals for Ayr Utd in all competitions this season.  1 so far v Alloa.  

I'm saying no.  

The poor guy had to win hoofballs, head them on and then run onto them himself - which he almost did on more than one occasion on Saturday.

He has strength and power, but I think he needs someone up with him, and I mean close to him.

30 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Will Ahkeem Rose score 10 goals for Ayr Utd in all competitions this season.  1 so far v Alloa.  

I'm saying no.  

No, but it won't entirely be his fault.  

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

With the Hibs job available and the usual list of suspects as likely candidates, it got me thinking if there comes a time when Bullen is shortlisted for a job in the Premiership? 

Surely that, or a job back down South, would be his long term ambition?

I don't think you need to worry about that 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We'll see. 

There's no doubt he'll get jobs elsewhere after us.

I can't see him being the main man somewhere else but, no doubt will get a backroom job somewhere. Unless we're all pishing the bed prematurely and he suddenly takes us on a run which is looking highly unlikely at present. Still atleast another body to come and a few missing yesterday are the straws I'm clutching to. 

The highlights genuinely give me the fear as to what the rest of it was like as some of the defending made us look properly at sea and completely lost. 

10 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

The poor guy had to win hoofballs, head them on and then run onto them himself - which he almost did on more than one occasion on Saturday.

He has strength and power, but I think he needs someone up with him, and I mean close to him.

Rose started very well on Saturday where he got the ball and ran at the opposition taking on players without a problem, he looks to me like a guy who needs the ball at his feet as opposed to any sort of target man.

The Pendlebury situation is strange but perhaps he had a slight niggle or maybe Bullen thought Musonda would provide a bit more dig and stature as both Smith and Pendlebury are pretty slight for the middle of the park ??

On the subject of playing McGeady and Chalmers wide but leaving a fit Murphy on the bench then I'm thinking that would be pretty crazy given the couple of games he's played for us he absolutely stood out as being by far our best player and levels above the rest.

A fit Murphy would be my first name on the teamsheet.