The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I wonder if he's stretching himself a bit too thin with all these ideas he's got and whatever else is going on in his daily duties. Lots of half measures and things unfinished or take too long to implement. The highlights for example shouldn't have taken that long to sort out.

5 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Aidan mcgeady- he’s holding off on that so he can introduce him as manager after emptying bullen late Friday night after getting pumped by partick (and another singsong in the hub)

If Mathie does that after everything he's said in these interviews then you can never believe another word he says again.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I think people are being overly negative about it here.  The interviews are absolutely fine. 

There was a bit less info on this one but it was fine and it's unfair to suggest he isn't speaking frankly (where he can).  He isn't going to be able to answer something about e.g. our home form being poor and maybe impacting season ticket sales (I asked it in full knowledge it would be right in the bin).  

His area of focus (so the prism he sees everything through) is just a really boring thing to football fans because it's all just about hoovering up our cash as much as possible.  

What the hell they have left to talk about I simply do not know 

I don't think he isn't speaking frankly, however...

Last week people were demanding answers and possibly blood, so far they have got just over an hour of filibustering. The first part of part two was him actually answering the questions he spend half an hour on Sunday talking around. Not every answer needs to come with a story attached. 

What did you have for breakfast Graeme? 
When I first got the the kitchen, I had to have a look at the available options, but before I tell you about the options I want to mention a podcast I listened to about breakfast and nutrition in general........

Hopefully part 3 will be more quickfire.  

11 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Wait is there a third part to this too??

I'm hopeful that part 3 is the moonhowler stuff, already had one in part two asking "will we win a cup?" and Callum saying we've had about 20 questions on x topic feels like we are getting right down into the weeds now. 

Just now, United1973 said:

It of curiosity  what do you think stops more people coming through the door at Somerset Park? 

Quality of product on show is limited, maybe one game in 3 or 4 is actually exciting. Whatever about the actual talent, the games are often dreadful to watch. Winning often papers over these cracks but when the rot carries on it will only get worse. 

Gloomy atmosphere - place is like a library. If the team goes 1 behind instead of getting the place bouncing it goes dead silent. Even when we’re winning it’s no better. Winning 5-0 against QP last year and you’d swear the crowd were paid to stay silent. 

5 minutes ago, United1973 said:

It of curiosity  what do you think stops more people coming through the door at Somerset Park? 

I think it is something that needs to be divided into short term and longer term targets. 

There isn’t enough being done to target groups of young people for the longer term, and the short term is obviously the style of football and home form - whenever we attract a bigger crowd we are also absolutely terrible. 

2 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Entry fee will certainly be one factor, the other in my mind is how easy it is to sit in the warmth of your home and watch football on TV. There are alot of other competing entertainment demands out there as well. If I was a random driving past the SRE wall looks more akin to a low security prison. For years the place has looked well past its best - I appreciate there is alot of work going on to rectify this which has already brought Somerset on leaps and bounds. 

Why don't thay ask people on a questionnaire about there footballing experience in watching football at somerset(no games but how it could be better).

for 1 thing is the rip of prices for some stuff like drinks etc + other things could be asked about is ladies football either before or after the mens game.

12 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Folk love an event, something they can build up to, like the races, a concert or even Scotland games. There isn't any excitement about going to an Ayr game unless it is a massive game. Alcohol is the incentive for most of that though.  

You need extended groups of friends to go, male and female and that doesn't happen. There just doesn't seem to be a massive presence in the town 

Maybe the new stand will help with some of that. 

15 minutes ago, United1973 said:

A multitude of factors:

- some people just have an inexplicable aversion to supporting their local club so will not go to games no matter what the club does.

- the cost of living.

- whenever we get a bigger crowd, the team usually shits the bed or the game is a poor spectacle.

- an aesthetically unattractive style of football.

- poor engagement with the local area.

11 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

For years the place has looked well past its best - I appreciate there is alot of work going on to rectify this which has already brought Somerset on leaps and bounds. 

Unfortunately the people who know this, and appreciate it, are the ones who attend on a 'very' regular basis.

IMO Ayr United have lost a whole generation of Support, which looks as if it is being addressed.

Just now, Aliayr76 said:

Why don't thay ask people on a questionnaire about there footballing experience in watching football at somerset(no games but how it could be better).

I recall that The Honest Men Trust carried out such a survey, over a decade ago, which received 'File 13' treatment.

46 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

A multitude of factors:

- some people just have an inexplicable aversion to supporting their local club so will not go to games no matter what the club does.

- the cost of living.

- whenever we get a bigger crowd, the team usually shits the bed or the game is a poor spectacle.

- an aesthetically unattractive style of football.

- poor engagement with the local area.

Your last point about poor engagement with the local area is definitely untrue. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Folk love an event, something they can build up to, like the races, a concert or even Scotland games. There isn't any excitement about going to an Ayr game unless it is a massive game. Alcohol is the incentive for most of that though.  

You need extended groups of friends to go, male and female and that doesn't happen. There just doesn't seem to be a massive presence in the town 

Maybe the new stand will help with some of that. 

Once the new hospitality is open they should be looking at a Ladies Day . The Rugby Club do one and its probably their main event of the year . With Presidents Day being a close second . Plenty of way to bring in the money once the building is finished .

A season ticket is not great value. You get 1, maybe 2 games “free” on it but chances are, you will miss at least one game a season.

So the only people who buy them are doing it through duty. 
You used to get Friendlies and cup games on season tickets, that changed in the late 90s to no cup games and then the friendlies went as well so the value has diminished at the same rate the price has gone up. 

Apart from the slight price decrease, there is very little advantage in having one. Not knowing what will happen in your personal financial circumstances during the season, at least your football on a Saturday is covered.

They offered the Stranraer friendly on the season and fucked it up. They offered a limited amount of tickets to the Q&A and fucked it up….So it annoys me when Mathie gave a verbal shrug about numbers.

Make season tickets more valuable. Have more season ticket holder events, make having a season ticket an exclusive club that gets you better access to things. Season ticket only merchandise, have entry to the hub after games season ticket holders only at some games. There are loads of things he can do but I guess, having never been a paying supporter from outside the business of football, he’s never asked. 

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

A season ticket is not great value. You get 1, maybe 2 games “free” on it but chances are, you will miss at least one game a season.

So the only people who buy them are doing it through duty. 
You used to get Friendlies and cup games on season tickets, that changed in the late 90s to no cup games and then the friendlies went as well so the value has diminished at the same rate the price has gone up. 

Apart from the slight price decrease, there is very little advantage in having one. Not knowing what will happen in your personal financial circumstances during the season, at least your football on a Saturday is covered.

They offered the Stranraer friendly on the season and fucked it up. They offered a limited amount of tickets to the Q&A and fucked it up….So it annoys me when Mathie gave a verbal shrug about numbers.

Make season tickets more valuable. Have more season ticket holder events, make having a season ticket an exclusive club that gets you better access to things. Season ticket only merchandise, have entry to the hub after games season ticket holders only at some games. There are loads of things he can do but I guess, having never been a paying supporter from outside the business of football, he’s never asked. 

Was there not a supporters club you used to be able to sign up to along side the season ticket which gave a range of additional perks? 

Just now, Hawk89 said:

Was there not a supporters club you used to be able to sign up to along side the season ticket which gave a range of additional perks? 

Think it was just discounts from local companies, they moved that to the lottery when it started and then the lottery is now the online version that doesn’t appear to ever be won