The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 minutes ago, Thumper said:

For what it's worth, it doesn't fucking matter if it's his weaker foot. If you can't hit a wide open net at a stretch from ten yards with your weak foot and your name isn't Arjen Robben, you should be having fucking nightmares for weeks.

Arjen Robben is one of my favourite ever football players. He was one-footed as f**k - but what a foot it was.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Partick Thistle's recruitment strategy would like to have a word.

It's nice that Chalmers came back. I still don't have any hope that if another team in this division came along and offered him better money that he wouldn't take it.

He could undoubtedly make more money at other clubs but in terms of game time and playing his own game, Ayr would be the best option for him currently. 18 months with Ayr, putting in the type of performances he has been and he’d move well beyond the Scottish Championship 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Partick Thistle's recruitment strategy would like to have a word.

It's nice that Chalmers came back. I still don't have any hope that if another team in this division came along and offered him better money that he wouldn't take it.

Are we right in thinking he can't play for anyone but Ayr and Dundee Utd for the rest of the season? You'd think in the circumstances, given the experience he had last year when he made a different decision and given the fact he seems to be happy that there might be a deal to be done if minds are focussed and the club is willing to take a small risk. With the right marketing it's the sort of thing that could encourage more people to donate to the player fund as well (though important not to give the appearance of bait & switch if you're doing that).

The fact that Chalmers has had no contact with anyone at Dundee United since he signed for us on loan would suggest that there’s no chance they’ll want him back. I doubt we’ll be able to keep him beyond this season but I’d be fairly confident of having him beyond January. Dowds as well although it might be wiser to negotiate something with him in January so we aren’t hamstrung in games against Thistle. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Arjen Robben is one of my favourite ever football players. He was one-footed as f**k - but what a foot it was.

So what you're saying is, your gran could have scored that but Arjen Robben couldn't. (I agree.)

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

He could undoubtedly make more money at other clubs but in terms of game time and playing his own game, Ayr would be the best option for him currently. 18 months with Ayr, putting in the type of performances he has been and he’d move well beyond the Scottish Championship 

Ehhhh. To be quite honest I have no idea why nobody else took him up in the first place, but the notion that he's slotted into some sort of magical synergy doesn't convince me. He's very good and other players look better when he's there for them. The same could happen at most clubs.

Bullen was, in the end, absolutely correct to bet the farm on bringing him back. I very much hope that next summer will not yet again be spent begging people.

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Are we right in thinking he can't play for anyone but Ayr and Dundee Utd for the rest of the season? You'd think in the circumstances, given the experience he had last year when he made a different decision and given the fact he seems to be happy that there might be a deal to be done if minds are focussed and the club is willing to take a small risk.

Anything is possible. But it's worth remembering that the situation with Josh Mullin was not very different at all, including his public satisfaction with playing / staying with Ayr. And look how that turned out.

Edited by Thumper

44 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ehhhh. To be quite honest I have no idea why nobody else took him up in the first place, but the notion that he's slotted into some sort of magical synergy doesn't convince me. He's very good and other players look better when he's there for them. The same could happen at most clubs.

Bullen was, in the end, absolutely correct to bet the farm on bringing him back. I very much hope that next summer will not yet again be spent begging people.

I’m basing my opinion on the fact that he’s been at Dundee United for several years and never got a sniff. He had a loan spell at Inverness where he did ok (he was younger as well) and a loan spell at Tranmere that failed to boost his profile or game time. 
Also the players comments after his first loan spell, saying he had a lot more freedom.

In certain teams, wide players are expected to track back, cover full backs, some are even told not to cut inside, Get ball, go to byline, cross. Stick to the side you are on and pick up a full back. 

Chalmers is all over the pitch and wants the ball at every occasion. There are very few teams, I can’t think of any in the championship, that play with an out and out attacking only winger. 

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

In certain teams, wide players are expected to track back, cover full backs, some are even told not to cut inside, Get ball, go to byline, cross. Stick to the side you are on and pick up a full back. 

Chalmers is all over the pitch and wants the ball at every occasion. There are very few teams, I can’t think of any in the championship, that play with an out and out attacking only winger.

Right but the notion that anyone is going to look at what is surely his player-of-the-month run for October and go "he doesn't do what we want" strikes me as unlikely.

With that said, at least he's here for the rest of the season, barring the fairly unlikely event of Ayr rocketing up the table and challenging Dundee United for the trophy. I would be astonished if Dowds isn't recalled one second after the window opens given Partick's history. That leaves the club looking for another striker at the bare minimum in January.

Chalmers very much does track back, he probably just needs a manager willing to allow him the freedom to go and do his thing in an attacking sense. When you think of some of the other managers he has played under such as Ross, Goodwin, Mellon etc they are all pretty defensive/rigid managers. He clearly just needs the right type of set up to be successful - tbf that is harder to do in the top league but it reflects well on Bullen and not so much Goodwin that he can see that. 

ETA - I actually don’t think he was at his best at the weekend but the difference at us is that we all have patience knowing that something special isn’t far away. 

Edited by No_Problemo

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Flashbacks to the Kerr McInroy saga.  

19 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Flashbacks to the Kerr McInroy saga.  

It could be the same scenario, Livi, Kilmarnock or St Johnstone sign him, he plays half a dozen games before sitting on his arse for the remainder of the season, then forcing his way out on loan the season after. 

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The fact that Chalmers has had no contact with anyone at Dundee United since he signed for us on loan would suggest that there’s no chance they’ll want him back. I doubt we’ll be able to keep him beyond this season but I’d be fairly confident of having him beyond January. Dowds as well although it might be wiser to negotiate something with him in January so we aren’t hamstrung in games against Thistle. 

How do we know Dundee United haven't contacted him?

Also noticed last night we're away to Patrick away next Tuesday night for some reason?

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

Also noticed last night we're away to Patrick away next Tuesday night for some reason?

We currently only have one Saturday fixture v Partick this season. Fitting in midweek league games yet reserving a Saturday in August for an early league cup game and finishing the league on a Friday night is the thought process of a bellend.

26 minutes ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

We currently only have one Saturday fixture v Partick this season. Fitting in midweek league games yet reserving a Saturday in August for an early league cup game and finishing the league on a Friday night is the thought process of a bellend.

Totally agree the Friday night finale is a horrible idea, makes it a total pain for anyone with commitments on a Friday that then faces an away tie. (Inverness last season for example). It is clearly only there for the benefit of BBC Scotland rather than the fans. 

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

It could be the same scenario, Livi, Kilmarnock or St Johnstone sign him, he plays half a dozen games before sitting on his arse for the remainder of the season, then forcing his way out on loan the season after. 

I was just coming on to ask about his contract situation as our reserves could do with an extra diddy or two.

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Keep it as something to stimulate discussion in your own clubs thread that hasn't been posted in since the 2nd of September.

That can't be right surely, there's been 6 games in that time