Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Whatever has happened or is happening it's important that it's sorted out quickly for sake of the season.

We were already playing catch up having to sign 2/3s of a squad as it was so the quicker we have someone 100% committed come in and sort out a competitive team the better.

On a positive note I think us having signed more locally should benefit the next manager giving most of them we would of been looking at, whoever the manager was.

Edited by ScottishLoon

No confidence in the board not to f**k the next appointment up, but f**k me there’s slim pickings surely . To get a new manager in and then for him to assess what’s already been signed & search for the remainder of a squad is an absolute disaster 

Realistically what manager would be available to take a punt on?

Mcinally is the main stand out, wouldn’t be my preference but probably the main name in the hat.

Kevin Thomson? Ian McCall? Allan Johnston? Danny Lennon? Jim McIntyre? Peter Grant? Davie Robertson? Jamie Hamill? Gavin Price? Brian Reid? Owen Coyle? David Hopkin? John Hughes?

A list of managers out of contract.  A couple would be ambitious in that list & there’s a few I’d definitely want to avoid. 

56 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Mcinally is the main stand out, wouldn’t be my preference but probably the main name in the hat.

Kevin Thomson? Ian McCall? Allan Johnston? Danny Lennon? Jim McIntyre? Peter Grant? Davie Robertson? Jamie Hamill? Gavin Price? Brian Reid? Owen Coyle? David Hopkin? John Hughes?

A list of managers out of contract.  A couple would be ambitious in that list & there’s a few I’d definitely want to avoid. 

Jesus Christ the only ones I’d want in that list are waaaaaaay out of our league 

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

You could narrow that particular list down to Gavin Price and maybe Davie Robertson if he’s even still in the country 

Just now, Dan Steele said:

Before we get into who might come in, what's the position of any players - strikers, obv, - getting signed if we're without a manager or is this the squad we have until a new manager comes in? 

I’d imagine there would be no more players signing until the new manager is in place.

although I’d imagine there will be a couple of trialists on show tomorrow night.

Ok, lads had a night sleep on it.

At the anger stage now, thank Ray for saving us from Highland league, but you can f**k off you rat arse c**t.

Edited by SlipperyP

19 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

I think I’m in the minority here that wouldn’t want Jim Mcinally… 

Aye I really don't understand the McInally hype.

McKinnon was a risk precisely due to the prospect of him leaving in this fashion, but there was no question that he's capable of being a very good lower league manager, despite having had one job that was a total disaster.

It's absolutely questionable whether McInally is capable of being a good lower league manager: he's the biggest underachiever in Scottish football. He's had about three good seasons in his entire managerial career and even his title wins came in circumstances where failing to win them would have been a sackable offence. He'll eventually get a team promoted if he has a significant financial advantage over most of the competition but the only genuinely impressive achievement in his career was taking Peterhead into the promotion playoffs in League One, an achievement more than cancelled out by the number of times he bottled something with them.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

McKinnon was a risk precisely due to the prospect of him leaving in this fashion, but there was no question that he's capable of being a very good lower league manager, despite having had one job that was a total disaster.

It's absolutely questionable whether McInally is capable of being a good lower league manager: he's the biggest underachiever in Scottish football. He's had about three good seasons in his entire managerial career and even his title wins came in circumstances where failing to win them would have been a sackable offence. He'll eventually get a team promoted if he has a significant financial advantage over most of the competition but the only genuinely impressive achievement in his career was taking Peterhead into the promotion playoffs in League One, an achievement more than cancelled out by the number of times he bottled something with them.

I don't think it's necessarily McNally hype. It's just the most realistic option available for us, as he's someone with plenty of experience and would likely accept the offer if the Forfar board approached him. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Understand that. And Morton fans disdain for him, but we are in a bit of a bind here, clearly moving towards a local based approach, clearly a bit hard up and losing manager literally as season is about to start. We have also just risked a couple of new manager appointments that have failed miserably and with the trapdoor looming below us this is no time for another punt.

If there are other realistic options hopefully we will investigate, Weir might be better but something went wrong there beyond his accident last time while Price nearly took Elgin down despite having the best striker in the league.

Also our Board will, in almost every instance, take the easy option. Of course McInally may not fancy the job at all..

36 minutes ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

Stenny away will really show what kind of level we are at and if we are capable of challenging for the title 

Is that not us started the past 3 campaigns away from home now?

Bonnyrigg away last season

annan the season before.

now away to Stenny first game!

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Is that not us started the past 3 campaigns away from home now?

Bonnyrigg away last season

annan the season before.

now away to Stenny first game!

Yeah, it’s disappointing that. I’m also disappointed that we start and end the season with away fixtures, both against sides we’ve considered bogey teams over the last couple of seasons.