Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

13 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

Surely you can understand after the last 5 years it's incredibly difficult to be remotely optimistic about anything churned out at Station Park? 

The players we've signed already tell you how we'll set up for the season, the same as the last campaign. McKinnon is living off of his name at this point, hasn't actually achieved all that much & clearly thought he'd be away by now.

As for the price increase, yes the old price was reasonable & yes £30 is a reasonable increase, but when is anyone ever happy about anything going up in price? It's still £30. Also shows the sad state of affairs in our game when a ST works out to £12 a game in L2 & it sounds reasonable

fwiw, a price increase would've been a lot more palatable if the club would stop behaving like everything is fine. The constant rhetoric last season of maintaining we weren't actually shit was laughable.

£12 a game doesn’t show the sad state of affairs in the Scottish game - everything goes up in price, literally everything, over time - I was in the Oz not so long ago and was nearly £10 for 2 pints of Peroni. £12 is really good for a home league game every couple weeks. 

I get that Forfar are hardly setting the heather alight with the signings but what can you expect from a club that finished mid table in L2 with an average crowd of 500 or whatever. Not sure you’ll be bursting with cash. 

Just have a look at EF. Dick had been giving it beans about how he was going to sign this or that player and they’ve ended up with basically exactly the same squad as last season. 

Think it would be for the best to try and put everything aside and try get behind your club they’ll be doing the best they can. Seems like a solid enough L2 group of players so far? 

If you get complacent you could end up in Stranraers position or even worse in Brechins. Know it’s easy to get a bit scunnered with the football but don’t take the club and its current position for granted because there are a few teams outwith the leagues at the moment getting ideas that are above their station and chucking some short term cash at it. 

The negativity seems just a wee bit over the top from the outside looking in and I get that nobody actually knows how fans feel unless they support the club themselves but would hate to see Forfar or any other L2 club at the moment fall out of the leagues because fans got a bit complacent 

Stranraer will have had a kick up the arse now I’m sure and maybe realised having a decent L2 team is much better than the alternative 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you get complacent you could end up in Stranraers position or even worse in Brechins.

The negativity seems just a wee bit over the top.

Sorry, but being on downward trajectory over a five year period brought on by a succession of poor decisions warrants the negativity imo. The league table last year flattered us (and others). I, like many others were in fact probably over optimistic when we appointed Malcolm even though he was massively under qualified for the job. Ourselves, Stranraer & Albion Rovers have all been on a similar trend, one gone, another survived in the playoffs.

Some won't like hearing it but I think we'll end up in the same place as brechin & I'm honestly ok with that, if we're doing the same this season as under Irvine & signing west coast based players (who'll obviously cost more due to travel), then we are spending over the odds. The pyramid will even out many clubs financial capabilities eventually & I genuinely believe the HL will be our home.

5 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

Sorry, but being on downward trajectory over a five year period brought on by a succession of poor decisions warrants the negativity imo. The league table last year flattered us (and others). I, like many others were in fact probably over optimistic when we appointed Malcolm even though he was massively under qualified for the job. Ourselves, Stranraer & Albion Rovers have all been on a similar trend, one gone, another survived in the playoffs.

Some won't like hearing it but I think we'll end up in the same place as brechin & I'm honestly ok with that, if we're doing the same this season as under Irvine & signing west coast based players (who'll obviously cost more due to travel), then we are spending over the odds. The pyramid will even out many clubs financial capabilities eventually & I genuinely believe the HL will be our home.

Really defeatist attitude.

I mean I’m not sure there are many clubs outwith the pyramid I’d class as definitely bigger than Forfar. You’ve obviously got Tranent and Linlithgow Rose and a couple of teams like that who are of a good size and have some good set ups and then there’ll be the team like EK who chuck the cash at it every now and then but Forfar are definitely capable of being a league club and should be looking to continue to be a league club absolutely. 

Every club has peaks and troughs but fans have to stick with them that’s part and parcel of it. 

I think it is a bit over the top and I get you’ve had f**k all to be excited about for a while but that’s just life when following a lower league Scottish football club. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Every club has peaks and troughs but fans have to stick with them that’s part and parcel of it. 

I'll continue to attend home & away, continue to throw my money at them in the form of ST, merchandise etc. I'm just being realistic. I'd much rather be at peace with what may eventually happen instead of being delusional.

1 minute ago, May Rckinnon said:

I'll continue to attend home & away, continue to throw my money at them in the form of ST, merchandise etc. I'm just being realistic. I'd much rather be at peace with what may eventually happen instead of being delusional.

It might happen but then again it might never, good to see you’ll still be supporting your club though and not chucking it purely on the basis that things are a bit meh. You’d hope that every club in L2 now knows that that’s not a smart thing to do because you might not realise how much you would give for a mediocre season in L2 if you’re lost in the abyss of the Highland League. 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

It might happen but then again it might never, good to see you’ll still be supporting your club though and not chucking it purely on the basis that things are a bit meh. You’d hope that every club in L2 now knows that that’s not a smart thing to do because you might not realise how much you would give for a mediocre season in L2 if you’re lost in the abyss of the Highland League. 

I don't think the HL is near the level of abyss that Stranraer could've fallen into but I get the point. My attitude towards L2 since the introduction of relegation is that everyone should be doing their utmost to get out of L2, brechin & almost Clyde have shown how quickly it goes tits up.

I'll never chuck it, but I'll not happy clap like I've only just discovered FB. A lot of us watched Jim Moffat have us bottom of the rock bottom, but even then their was some semblance of joy (Paul Lunan for me). I'm just not into the whole play for a draw and still nearly get dragged into a relegation scrap nonsense.

Mitch Taylor could be a very good signing. When he played last season he was generally decent but didn't seem to be rated as highly by Hale as most of the fans I speak to and found himself in and out the team. There are still flaws to his game, his crossing has improved since he first signed but is still erratic. His work rate is exceptional though, he is very good at beating his man one-on-one and his pace is a huge asset. There was a moment against Stenny in February where he picked the ball up not far from our own box, sprinted 60 yards with it, evading a couple of slide tackles on the way, and set up a chance which was one of the most exciting pieces of play I've seen from an Elgin player in years. This time last year I think most Elgin fans thought he'd go down as a dud but given his improvement last season I think the vast majority were very disappointed not to get the chance to see if he could improve further.

What are people seriously thinking we should be signing ? Simon Murray? Messi? 

we are what we are.  No rich fermer ploughing in the cash . Living within our means . Most L2 clubs are fishing in the same pond for players and it’s usually who ever can get a couple of good loans in that can make the difference 

1 hour ago, C_titz said:

we are what we are.  No rich fermer ploughing in the cash . Living within our means . Most L2 clubs are fishing in the same pond for players and it’s usually who ever can get a couple of good loans in that can make the difference 

I can only speak for myself, but I'd like to have seen the glaring holes in the squad dealt with relatively quickly.

However, I do understand that it's very early in the window, and some players won't want to commit until much later.

2 hours ago, C_titz said:

Are we living within our means? the 'local policy' was brought in last season because we were spending too much on players not based on the east coast. Our 3 signings are all west coast based...

20 hours ago, C_titz said:

Nobody’s saying we’ve got money to chuck about, just feel like there are better players available than we are bringing in. 

Looking at stats over the past few season Taylor, Malcolm & Maclean look like absolute bang average players. 
Malcolm’s looked decent whenever I’ve seen him, but he’s gonna just do the job that Whatley or Morrison does? So what’s the point in bringing him in? 
A couple of Elgin fans I’ve spoken to are absolutely shocked that Mitch Taylor is staying in league two, he’s non league standard in their opinion. 
Maclean I haven’t seen enough to comment but going by comments above it doesn’t sound very promising.

At least it looks like Finn Robson’s away with no announcement regarding his contract yet, so that’s a positive. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Nobody’s saying we’ve got money to chuck about, just feel like there are better players available than we are bringing in. 

Looking at stats over the past few season Taylor, Malcolm & Maclean look like absolute bang average players. 
Malcolm’s looked decent whenever I’ve seen him, but he’s gonna just do the job that Whatley or Morrison does? So what’s the point in bringing him in? 
A couple of Elgin fans I’ve spoken to are absolutely shocked that Mitch Taylor is staying in league two, he’s non league standard in their opinion. 
Maclean I haven’t seen enough to comment but going by comments above it doesn’t sound very promising.

At least it looks like Finn Robson’s away with no announcement regarding his contract yet, so that’s a positive. 

Malcolm is likely Whatleys replacement, don't expect Whatley to be starting as much he's probably in squad player territory now.

Maclean only played half a season cause of work commitments so can't really judge his stats last season.

Don't know what Elgin fan you were speaking to cause everything I've seen from Elgin supporters has been pretty positive about Taylor apart from erratic crossing. seems the reason he left was mostly cause he was Glasgow area based, and wasn't even able to train with Elgin. 

Wouldn't be so sure Robson's definitely away btw, pretty sure the reason there's been no news on him was because of being on holiday.

Edited by ScottishLoon

4 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Malcolm is likely Whatleys replacement, don't expect Whatley to be starting as much he's probably in squad player territory now.

Maclean only played half a season cause of work commitments so can't really judge his stats last season.

Don't know what Elgin fan you were speaking to cause everything I've seen from Elgin supporters has been pretty positive about Taylor apart from erratic crossing. seems the reason he left was mostly cause he was Glasgow area based, and wasn't even able to train with Elgin. 

Wouldn't be so sure Robson's definitely away btw, pretty sure the reason there's been no news on him was because of being on holiday.

Keeping Robson at this point would be mental. All 3 signings so far have been midfielders, he's surplus to requirements at this point.

As for Whatley being in 'squad player territory', he's still better than any other midfielder at the club.

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

Looks like we're playing Brechin on 29th June according to Brechin's socials. Wonder what other friendlies will be arranged, if any!

Half expected we might have a friendly with them, be nice to go to glebe for the first time in a while.

Edited by ScottishLoon

46 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Looks like we're playing Brechin on 29th June according to Brechin's socials. Wonder what other friendlies will be arranged, if any!

Formartine at home the following week going by a Facebook post last night.