Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

It's usually good to hear of youngsters getting a chance to gain experience and I wish Finlay all the best but I'd rather see it happening from a Forfar position of strength - we're languishing near the bottom of the league. I'd have thought a stronger presence with experience is what's needed. I'm struggling to understand this loan. Talking of strength, I saw Seb bouncing off two very strong defenders standing their ground at the Stenny game, as just one example, and I'm not sure a youngster will do any better (but I'll be delighted if Finlay proves me wrong).

A couple people are gonna hate hearing anything positive somehow but think it's worth mentioning in the last 6 league games only stenny have had more points, we've won 3 drawn 2 and the 1 loss was against stenny.

I'll balance that out by saying that the tactics and games are still fucking dire to watch 90% of the time. Manager has been got out of jail by the defensive unit really standing up and being counted in recent weeks. 

It's a weird situation we're in now where the managers clearly still got no long term future or likability and the footballs still terrible to watch but we're now grinding out the results and can't justify sacking him until there's a complete collapse.

Edited by ScottishLoon

55 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

A couple people are gonna hate hearing anything positive somehow but think it's worth mentioning in the last 6 league games only stenny have had more points, we've won 3 drawn 2 and the 1 loss was against stenny.

I'll balance that out by saying that the tactics and games are still fucking dire to watch 90% of the time. Manager has been got out of jail by the defensive unit really standing up and being counted in recent weeks. 

It's a weird situation we're in now where the managers clearly still got no long term future or likability and the footballs still terrible to watch but we're now grinding out the results and can't justify sacking him until there's a complete collapse.

The points are always a sight for sore eyes, but the way we're picking them up isn't sustainable. 

The fact McKinnons first thought after taking a very early lead is to sit in says it all.

This league is bereft of any quality, outside of Stenny & maybe Peterhead, everyone else is honking.

59 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

I’d also give a special mention to the defence , they do get stuck in . 

Anyone see what happened at FT? Judging by the FB comments the stewards were once again a shitshow.

The club need to be held somewhat accountable if it was as unsavoury as some have stated. Not like they've not been told numerous times in recent seasons that the stewards are an issue.

As for anyone who behaved like a moron, you're a jobbie & deserve your cornflakes shat in.

3 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

Anyone see what happened at FT? Judging by the FB comments the stewards were once again a shitshow.

The club need to be held somewhat accountable if it was as unsavoury as some have stated. Not like they've not been told numerous times in recent seasons that the stewards are an issue.

As for anyone who behaved like a moron, you're a jobbie & deserve your cornflakes shat in.

Heard a bit of commotion walking to car actually . Wondered what was going on

Noticed at the final whistle some of our younger supporters were having a back and forth with one of the adult Spartan supporters on the way out and then when I got to the gate I noticed they were waiting for the guy to come out to have another go.

Feel like the young Spartans supporters were maybe getting caught in between an argument but could be wrong.

A very welcome, unexpected 3 points.

As someone has said, winning like this just isn’t sustainable though.

But saying that, when we are down near the bottom I’ll take it. The biggest downside is the fact that it keeps McKinnon in a job.

Great 3 points though lads, keep them coming please.

Edited by ForfarLoon84

10 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

The group I’ll describe as the New Ultras were across at Gammie’s gate shouting abuse at the Spartans fans. While I’m usually first to criticise the stewards I would question where their powers end, is it solely within use walls of Station Park. I’m aware that the noisy group of Spartans ultras are all about 10 years old and this group of Forfar fans are 14/15 ish which is not on, no wonder the wee kids were scared. The police were there at the match, I heard that a number of flares were confiscated though I’m unaware who tried to bring them in. I’m not pointing fingers but the police had a long conversation in the first half with a couple who appeared to be with the away ultras.

1 minute ago, theSilverFox said:

the police had a long conversation in the first half with a couple who appeared to be with the away ultras.

Noticed this, looked like they were getting a telling for something.

Can't say I saw a police presence after this though, saw them disappearing up the tunnel. Could be wrong.

Main issue with the stewarding is that our club is becoming notorious for having absolute dumplings doing the job. The only time you see any action taken is towards a child who did nothing wrong.

I understand getting decent stewards in would cost the club, but surely it's a small price to pay for a competent safety net.

It’s okay lads, the voice of the stewards has spoken on Facebook, they have never done anything wrong and it is the fans fault they don’t get involved.

Personal favourite of mine was when said steward on FB got in the face of two young supporters earlier this season for absolutely no reason. Of course this warranted another four stewards approaching the individuals involved & telling them to 'stop taking the piss'.

F**k me! Did I miss something yesterday? Was there a full scale riot that I managed to walk through?

Some of the comments on FB. 🤣

I heard a few shouts going back and forward between two sets of young fans as I was leaving the ground, nothing even really registered with me, just 2 sets of fans having a go, it’s a football match ffs! Nobody got hurt.

Does that really merit a club statement these days? 

How very Forfar. We actually manage to win a match (even if we made it a hard job) but we can't take any small positive from it because it becomes overshadowed by the infamous Forfar Stewarding and "unacceptable conduct of fans."

Just as a bit of atmosphere is returning to Station Park I imagine these new ultras are going to be hounded out of the club like the "LoonsOnTour" ultras from pre-covid were and end up spending their Saturdays at Tannadice or Dens rather than Station Park. 

Now I know I can't really comment because I wasn't aware of what actually happened and what the unacceptable conduct was but surely the club needs to try and encourage these younger fans make them feel part of the club and not the enemy, now I'm sure they'll need some guidance and support because we want ultras who motivate the squad and not a hooligan gang.

Look at the Sons of the Rock. Those bunch of primary/early high school kids are a proud part of the Dumbarton family. Also the majority of the Spartans ultras appeared to be 10 years old or so, that is lovely to see young ones supporting local teams and not just the Auld Firm or a Man City.

I am not condoning the actions of what or may not have taken place with our fans but we need a new generation of younger fans for Forfar otherwise attendances will continue to drop and the club may well go unsustainable. 

On 04/02/2024 at 12:53, Bridie Vision said:

How very Forfar. We actually manage to win a match (even if we made it a hard job) but we can't take any small positive from it because it becomes overshadowed by the infamous Forfar Stewarding and "unacceptable conduct of fans."

Just as a bit of atmosphere is returning to Station Park I imagine these new ultras are going to be hounded out of the club like the "LoonsOnTour" ultras from pre-covid were and end up spending their Saturdays at Tannadice or Dens rather than Station Park. 

Now I know I can't really comment because I wasn't aware of what actually happened and what the unacceptable conduct was but surely the club needs to try and encourage these younger fans make them feel part of the club and not the enemy, now I'm sure they'll need some guidance and support because we want ultras who motivate the squad and not a hooligan gang.

Look at the Sons of the Rock. Those bunch of primary/early high school kids are a proud part of the Dumbarton family. Also the majority of the Spartans ultras appeared to be 10 years old or so, that is lovely to see young ones supporting local teams and not just the Auld Firm or a Man City.

I am not condoning the actions of what or may not have taken place with our fans but we need a new generation of younger fans for Forfar otherwise attendances will continue to drop and the club may well go unsustainable. 

To be fair, it took a while for us to weed out the arseholes in the young group. The first bunch of wee dicks who turned up were nothing but trouble, looking for fights at every turn and culminating in the play offs when Alloa beat us with them launching things at Alloa players as the celebrated. We got rid of them and a slightly younger bunch took over, and whilst on the whole they have been well behaved there have been moments they let themselves down. We ended up inviting them down to the stadium before a game for pizza and cans of juice and then had the manager and chairman explain to them what is expected of them conduct wise. If you want them to toe the line you need to engage them instead of just putting out statements condemning them. 

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair, it took a while for us to weed out the arseholes in the young group. The first bunch of wee dicks who turned up were nothing but trouble, looking for fights at every turn and culminating in the play offs when Alloa beat us with them launching things at Alloa players as the celebrated. We got rid of them and a slightly younger bunch took over, and whilst on the whole they have been well behaved there have been moments they let themselves down. We ended up inviting them down to the stadium before a game for pizza and cans of juice and then had the manager and chairman explain to them what is expected of them conduct wise. If you want them to toe the line you need to engage them instead of just putting out statements condemning them. 

"If you want them to toe the line you need to engage them instead of just putting out statements condemning them."

100% agree!