-Grand Theft Premiership V- (Hamilton Academical 2018/2019 thread.)

My first time seeing a lot of the new signings. Taiwo and McGowan look decent the rest were poor/average. Miller has stepped up a bit but he won’t be the answer to replace Temps.

Penny looked poor I imagine Ziggy will replace him in that position once we sign this mythical “commanding centre half” because Ziggy won’t be comfortable playing the position he did today all season.

Hopefully one of A. Smith or Phillips can step up and give the team something creative in midfield, because when Daz is the only one trying to create that is a problem.

Some baffling decisions tonight and the decision to replace Taiwo with Lyon for the last 5 minutes while leaving our 2 apparent creative midfielders on the bench seemed bizarre. MacKinnon's decision to try to score the winning penalty kick with a Panenka (which he floated over the bar) also takes some understanding and perhaps sums up how importantly the club rate this club competition and it's priorities for the season ahead.

Too early to panic and despite the welcomed positivity over the new signings it was always going to be a challenge to bed in 10 new signings (almost all young players new to Scottish football) and play "competitive" games after less than 2 weeks of pre-season, however the lack of creativity and not making the Livi keeper make a serious save is a worry. 

Thought the team looked extremely leggy from about 60 minutes in (even more bizarre why Canning would make only 2 subs) but in that hour I thought of the new players MacGowan and Penny looked decent while Sam Kelly looked ok for a player who hasn't featured at all in pre-season to date. Thought Taiwo was neat and tidy but nothing more.  The way Ziggy times his tackles is still a joy but he doesn't look like a centre half to me which puzzles me as to where Canning plans to play him as I doubt he's come back to provide back up to McGowan at RB.

Of last season's squad McMann was best and worryingly was our most creative outlet for the last half hour, Miller looked decent for about 10 minutes, Bingham was abject and Dougie was Dougie where he couldn't defend, can't beat a man or hit a decent cross.

Early days and I remember watching a very similar performance from Alex Neil's team at Airdrie when we lost 1-0 without creating a chance when the league cup was still a knock out before taking us to 2nd in the SPL, probably a tad optimistic but thought I would put it out there anyway.

15 minutes ago, yummy fur said:

Some baffling decisions tonight and the decision to replace Taiwo with Lyon for the last 5 minutes while leaving our 2 apparent creative midfielders on the bench seemed bizarre. MacKinnon's decision to try to score the winning penalty kick with a Panenka (which he floated over the bar) also takes some understanding and perhaps sums up how importantly the club rate this club competition and it's priorities for the season ahead.

Too early to panic and despite the welcomed positivity over the new signings it was always going to be a challenge to bed in 10 new signings (almost all young players new to Scottish football) and play "competitive" games after less than 2 weeks of pre-season, however the lack of creativity and not making the Livi keeper make a serious save is a worry. 

Thought the team looked extremely leggy from about 60 minutes in (even more bizarre why Canning would make only 2 subs) but in that hour I thought of the new players MacGowan and Penny looked decent while Sam Kelly looked ok for a player who hasn't featured at all in pre-season to date. Thought Taiwo was neat and tidy but nothing more.  The way Ziggy times his tackles is still a joy but he doesn't look like a centre half to me which puzzles me as to where Canning plans to play him as I doubt he's come back to provide back up to McGowan at RB.

Of last season's squad McMann was best and worryingly was our most creative outlet for the last half hour, Miller looked decent for about 10 minutes, Bingham was abject and Dougie was Dougie where he couldn't defend, can't beat a man or hit a decent cross.

Early days and I remember watching a very similar performance from Alex Neil's team at Airdrie when we lost 1-0 without creating a chance when the league cup was still a knock out before taking us to 2nd in the SPL, probably a tad optimistic but thought I would put it out there anyway.

It was 2-1, m9. 

52 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

My first time seeing a lot of the new signings. Taiwo and McGowan look decent the rest were poor/average. Miller has stepped up a bit but he won’t be the answer to replace Temps

Taiwo played for us. It's a very strange signing, even for Accies.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Good draw on the away goals count double rule for us IMO

Louis Longridge was our scorer, so they didn't feel right letting us go through, despite said rule. 

Thought the first half was just about OK where most of the guys did some good some bad.

2nd half, as has been said we went to 5 at the back and McGowan, Kelly and Miller fell out of it completely. Unlike most I thought Taiwo was pretty rotten and it is frightening that Canning thinks our best options down the left are McMann and Imrie who are both awful.

Ziggy never won a header all day and should be getting moved out to full back if/when we get a centre half in.