-Grand Theft Premiership V- (Hamilton Academical 2018/2019 thread.)

So fellas, what's your thoughts going into the first international break of the season? 

Our record this time last season was:

• Played: 4 
  • Won: 2 (v Dundee & Hibs)
  • Drawn: 1 (v Killie)
  • Lost: 1 (v Aberdeen)
  • Scored: 8
  • Conceded: 5

Contrasted to:

• Played: 4
  • Won: 1 (v Motherwell)
  • Drawn: 0
  • Lost: 3 (v Hearts, Celtic & St Johnstone)
  • Scored: 3
  • Conceded: 7

We've got a weaker first XI than last year and have faced tougher opponents. You've also got to account for bedding 15/16 new players into the squad, compared to a handful last season. 

Other than County and Thistle being abysmal, the team's record against their relegation rivals kept us up, and we'll see if that can also be done in this coming month. 

6 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m definitely team Aaron Smith now. He has every right to be raging he can’t get a look in when the midfield offers the strikers nothing. Him not playing says more about Canning as a manager than it does about him as a player IMO

Does Boyd get in that team if he didn't come through the youth system? 

Does Boyd get in that team if he didn't come through the youth system? 

Does Boyd get in the team if he didn’t score the cracker against Motherwell?

We all know he’s not good enough he proved it any time he played bar 1 goal last season as well. Then he got papped to Livi who also deemed him not good enough.

Boyd does show some flashes of promise but he's clearly not ready to start every game yet. His first touch in particular is horrific and the cause of far too many potentially promising attacks to break down.

Our lack of creativity is going to be our downfall this season.

Gotta hope Martin is a creator, otherwise we're going to be hugely reliant on crosses from McGowan and McMann. 
ETA: That said, I'm not so sure Martin will go straight into the first team. 

Definitely wouldn’t class Martin as a creator. His strengths lie in recovering the ball and moving it on really, even in League One I thought his passing was a bit off at times.

Just now, Lichtie78 said:

Definitely wouldn’t class Martin as a creator. His strengths lie in recovering the ball and moving it on really, even in League One I thought his passing was a bit off at times.

Jesus, the exact same as MacKinnon, Taiwo and Tshiembe. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Some 'stream of consciousness' rambling about what I've seen so far:

Woods is a good keeper, but his distribution and kicking is woeful. I've lost count the amount of times he's booted the ball straight out of play trying to find McMann. Annoying.

Since day one of Canning's reign, we've been a shambles at the back, no matter who plays there or what formation we play. From a manger who was a centre half himself, this is criminal.

Our set pieces are abysmal, especially our corners. We waste them time and time again.

I'll give most of the new signings the benefit of the doubt, but I've not been impressed with Taiwo or Kelly (just to name two who have seen extended paying time). Taiwo looks every inch the Championship jobber and Kelly wants an absolute age on the ball every time. Still early days though.

Boyd is another one who wants too much time on the ball. He also tries to do too much and seems to pass when he should shoot and shoot when he should pass. He had a shocker yesterday.

Miller has been our bright spot so far. The much maligned Bingham has also done well and yesterday I thought he caused St Johnstone problems.

I saw enough yesterday to be optimistic about the season. Friday's signing should all add something to the squad as well.

A much changed line up against Livi I would imagine.

Has to be a completely reshaped starting XI against Livingston.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:52, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m definitely team Aaron Smith now. He has every right to be raging he can’t get a look in when the midfield offers the strikers nothing. Him not playing says more about Canning as a manager than it does about him as a player IMO

Aaron Smith does exist  - on the bench for the reserves today.

Looking at our next few games that'll complete our first 11 games. 

Livingston (A) - D

St Mirren (H) - W

Dundee (H) - W (Pumping and will be the game where we empty their manager for the 2nd time) 

Hibernian (A) - L

Rangers (H) - L

Kilmarnock (A) - L

Aberdeen (A) - D