Active Shooter

Karpaty

Next Wednesdayy sees the release of a school shooting simulator. What will they think of next. Sorry for the Daily Mail link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5779545/Active-Shooter-video-game-lets-children-simulate-murdering-classmates-sparks-outrage.html

Having extensively studied the Columbine shooting I'll probably have a go for interest (note: I've no intention to commit any school shootings).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Aaaaaaaaaaand let's balance out the no doubt awful Daily Mail link (not like such a thing would be written about on websites about video games) with someone who actually knows what he's talking about

Sterling's journalistic merit is right about the level of that of the Daily Mail, I dare say. He might know more about this particular case but peddles mindless trash all the same.

Regardless, from a gameplay perspective Active Shooter is a very interesting concept (perp/SWAT dichotomy, being able to play as civilians), but any potential will be drowned in overblown controversy and the fact that this is obvious a quick cash-grabbing asset flip which will generate a fair bit of money (for a game of this scale) thanks to edgy/morbid consumers.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Being able to shoot people in a video game isn't really an interesting concept.

Nowhere did I imply it is the shooting itself that is the interesting bit; in fact, the gunplay looks about as pish as you might expect from a game like this.

Rather, it is the different roles filled by players - perp/SWAT/civvies - and how these interact with one another that could put an interesting spin on the regular rooty-tooty-shooty action if handled competently.

"Won't someone think of the video-game-playing children?" has been selling newspapers for decades. It's also been made undeniably meaningless since ratings were introduced, and now exists solely for people whose greatest pleasure in life is feeling angry at what other people might be enjoying...(Daily Mail readers, in other words).

Anyone have ideas for controversial games that the Mail would jizz over? I'd suggest a concentration camp management sim, but...y'know.

Edit: I guess I must have heard about it at some point and forgot, because...it exists!  :lol:

Archived