Bo'ness United 2018/19

Half time. 0-1 to Jeanfield. We have Gemmel, Morgan and Donnelly all in central midfield but none of them bossing it. Watt right midfield. Mackenzie wide left. No centre forward with Keast playing like a no 10.

A forward, a forward, my kingdom for a forward.

41 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Half time. 0-1 to Jeanfield. We have Gemmel, Morgan and Donnelly all in central midfield but none of them bossing it. Watt right midfield. Mackenzie wide left. No centre forward with Keast playing like a no 10.

A forward, a forward, my kingdom for a forward.

Sounds like a Craig Levein line up there !

Sounds like a Craig Levein line up there !

Two defensive errors = two goals. It happens. Jeanfield were faster and looked fitter than us. They also had a bit more shape and balance than us.

The main gripe from me was that on the attacking front we were dire. Mackenzie and Keast were usually dropping back into the cluttered midfield to take possession. From there they have to turn and then beat midfielders and defenders to get a shot on goal. What's wrong with Mackenzie just sitting up front between the centrehalfs ??
Our central midfielders have no pace and are too easily ran around. Watt when out wide carries a bit of an attacking threat but his crossing was poor.
The Jeanfield keeper pulled off a great save from Keast but apart from that he was hardly tested.
We still lack a direct playing no 9 and an attacking midfielder with pace.

Spoiler

Struggling to find a positive to take out of this.  Only one I can come up with is that at least League points weren't at stake.

Apart from the obvious forward deficit, we are also carrying an old team.  Three of the starting back four are in their thirties and Dougie has age and fitness against him just now.

A big turn-around required.

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Struggling to find a positive to take out of this.  Only one I can come up with is that at least League points weren't at stake.

Apart from the obvious forward deficit, we are also carrying an old team.  Three of the starting back four are in their thirties and Dougie has age and fitness against him just now.

A big turn-around required.

A bit late for the big  turn around you desire. As for the ageing back four, this was evident at the end of last season and has not been addressed, therefore it should not come as a big surprise after the first game into a new season that age is catching up.

A little early to be too critical and perhaps the Manager can make something of his new signings. Time will tell.

We have too many similar type players in midfield with Gemmill,Morgan,Donnelly and Gray. We need a midfielder who has pace and can go box to box.  Philp was that type of player when we had him.Too many times Mckenzie and Keast were wide and no one was in the box waiting on the ball coming in. The fact that Hunter ended up from must surely demonstrate how badly we need a new centreforward.

2 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Early days but I do think Jeanfield might be a surprise package this year.  Last year they were a young team and maybe lacked a bit of experience but they were full of pace and very fit.

No doubt Jeanfield were the better side today.      There were several times when the BU's rode their luck against the counterattack.   It was a 0-2 defeat but it could have been more. 

37 minutes ago, Standalone said:

A bit late for the big  turn around you desire. As for the ageing back four, this was evident at the end of last season and has not been addressed, therefore it should not come as a big surprise after the first game into a new season that age is catching up.

A little early to be too critical and perhaps the Manager can make something of his new signings. Time will tell.

In reality, it's not even who is at the club but who isn't.  The loss of Millar & Kelly has not been addressed at all, so our striking options are limited.  The new signings are decent.  Syme is a 'proper' full-back.  Morgan could be the box to box we need but is not utilised as such and Watt can play, although the wind today did nothing for his delivery.  MacDonald at the back is a good utility player who can pass a ball.  However Kegs needs to tighten them up into a functioning team.

3 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Early days but I do think Jeanfield might be a surprise package this year.  Last year they were a young team and maybe lacked a bit of experience but they were full of pace and very fit.

I think you could be right there.  We were well beaten in the second half.

Have Jeanfield brought in many new players?