What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

I can definitely recall saying that I was unconvinced Forbes was not a religious bigot, but I don't recall ever describing her as Right Wing.

Plenty of folk were calling her a 'tory in disguise' and whatnot, but maybe it wasn't so far from the truth given the amount of actual Tories and other assorted unionists who turned out to cheerlead for her.

Scottish politics is clearly skewed by the constitutional question, and there’s loads of people in, or voting for, parties that they don’t really fit in with. 

I don’t think that everyone who votes Labour is a Tory, but the current leadership of the Labour Party are undoubtedly pushing Tory policies. They’re attacking the Tories from the right on a lot of issues. It doesn’t take a genius to work out why so many on the left fucking hate Starmer. 

I don’t think actually think that everyone who votes Lib Dem is actually a Tory (a fair number of them are though). I do believe that a lot of them disagree with the Tories on stuff, especially socially. However, they’d all definitely side with the Tories over someone like Corbyn (as indeed would all centrists).

There are some within the SNP who clearly fit right in in the Conservatives. Fergus Ewing, for example, would be a through and through Tory had he been born in Gloucester instead of Glasgow.

The point about the Lib Dems shifting in the Tories' wake is absolutely spot on.

Once upon a time I was a Lib Dem myself, so I'm well aware of the diaspora of outlooks and opinions within that party. I met a lot of Lib Dem students and suchlike who it would be perfectly reasonable to describe as 'left-leaning', given their predominantly socially liberal views and attitudes to tax/spending, but I wouldn't say there were many Lib Dems of the type who own an enormous house in Murrayfield, Corstorphine, Barnton or the likes, have three cars parked on the drive, and send their kids to private schools, who you could describe as lefties. 

In that respect, they really are the only people who align with a mainstream party in any sort of numbers who are to the right of centre aside from actual Tories, so to an extent, they are standing shoulder to shoulder with Tories, and if it looks like a Tory, acts like a Tory, and thinks like a Tory...

You could say UKIP/Brexit Party or whatever these things call themselves, but while they are invariably Right, they are not 'mainstream' because they are largely single-issue, fleeting, and/or pop up and disappear just as quickly as they arrived, and they all seem to have terrible bother actually getting anyone elected.

I accept there are factions and divergent views in most parties, the difference is, Labour, the Greens, SNP and so on are, or formerly were, considered to be Left or Centre left, so the right-leaners tend to be fewer and not as far to the right as those in a 'Centrist' party to begin with, although I will accept that the SNP and Labour could rightfully be described as Centrist now, but again, I think that's in part down to the entirety of UK politics having shifted.

I think it's also relevant that a lot of the politicians who are viewed as aberrant or out of place are Highlands & Islands types. It's clearly a different world, with different outlooks, and different priorities than most of mainland, central, and lowland Scotland. Not surprising in the slightest.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Wes Streeting has been rent-a-quote in the papers lately, including lots of old-school ScoLabour SNP-bashing. I wondered why. I found out in Blackwells' yesterday: he has a new book out.

Haud, me, and back are the words that spring to mind.

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Classic Sun tactics from Goldsmith, backing the perceived winner. If Labour do manage to Hibs this he will be quick enough to pledge his "unwavering" support for the Tories.

Don't ever equate anything with my club to that lot, ever.

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Classic Sun tactics from Goldsmith, backing the perceived winner. If Labour do manage to Hibs this he will be quick enough to pledge his "unwavering" support for the Tories.

Probably trying to protect his position in the (unlikely) event of Starmer reforming the HoL.

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That's proper Foulkes behaviour. "How dare the SNP try and make some folks lives a little bit better!"

The biggest laugher recently is the number of furious yoons genuinely claiming that the SNP putting a block on cooncils raising CT has been an outrage. I'm sure they've aw been queuing up ootside cooncil HQ for the past 4 years desperately trying to get someone to take a cheque on top of the monthly DD.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Remember when he spent his entire London Mayoral campaign implying that Sadiq Khan loved ISIS?

Aye, absolutely. More dog whistles than Crufts.

35 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Starmer has quite an impressive political antennae: he fundamentally understands that a significant number of British voters care much more about the welfare of dogs than they do about human beings. 

Has it been confirmed that the dog didn’t bugger off in the first place because Starmer tried to talk to it?