England v Colombia

throbber

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
6 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:
No voter found.
I'm not worried about England, they're pish.  They haven't beaten a good team in years.

Stating the bloody obvious there champ. Indeed I am a No voter. Yet England are in the quarter finals of a World Cup. What have Scotland ever done of note?

Yeah Scotland's shite eh.  You're totally right.

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

Sweden are why Italy and the Netherlands aren't there, they beat France in qualifying and they clinically found out Mexico. They have been in as many World Cup finals as England and twice as many semi finals. In the last 15 meetings between them Sweden have won 5 (including the most recent one), drawn 8 and lost 2.

They're not as good as the opponents you might normally get in a World Cup quarter final but let's not write them off. That's the English media's job.

This. You'd think Sweden were some 2nd rate club from Luxembourg the amount people are going on. Fair enough, one out of England, Sweden, Russia and Croatia will get to the final, and none of them are typical world cup final sides.

From an Anglo/Welsh perspective, it's nice seeing England do well - they have a decent side with relatively few players I actively dislike. Not the best team in the tournament, perhaps not in the top 8 - but they don't need to be. It's a team game, not a competition for the best individual players.

I like Gareth Southgate - wrote a letter to him when he was at Villa, after he'd missed that penalty at Euro 96. Few weeks later he replied with a really nice letter that's I've kept to this day. Comes across as a really decent chap, I've a lot of time for him.

The English media headlines are as deluded as always. People buy it (literally and figuratively) though. Sweden will be difficult, they're a handy side and must fancy their chances against England. There's the problem for England - it might be seen as the 'piece of pish' side of the draw, but if every game goes to extra time, it isn't going to be. And it's difficult to see England outright beating any of the 3, they'll all be tight games.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
2 hours ago, nsr said:
Any Englishman who says "Why do Scotland hate us, we don't care what they think" is a baldfaced liar. They care deeply what we think.

Why would a nation with 10 times the population care what we think. We are just shit on their shoe.

I've no idea, but they do. Their first instinct after a victory is to rub it in Scotland's face. It is rather pathetic, but hey, they're English.

The absolute state of Highlandmagyar here [emoji38].

Imagine being so desperate for some negative attention on a football forum that you actually want everyone to think you're "shite on a shoe" [emoji38]

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Falcao calling the ref a cheat in interviews after the game.

Superb stuff. 

It did strike me as quite bizarre how the referee started to suddenly favour England in second half of extra time. Failing to give Colombia an incredibly obvious corner was the first of a few odd decisions.

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
5 hours ago, nsr said:
Any Englishman who says "Why do Scotland hate us, we don't care what they think" is a baldfaced liar. They care deeply what we think.

Why would a nation with 10 times the population care what we think. We are just shit on their shoe.

That's just you.
You're shit on everyone's shoe.

Archived