Club v Country

We had the debate on here a while ago.  And virtually every single poster said club.  Clearly, as I told you at the time, you were all full of shit.

Look at lineker freely admitting he cried when England beat Colombia on penalties in the last fucking 16 FFS.  Did he cry when Leicester won the league, a much more miraculous achievement?  No he did not.

Look at the emotion in the fans and the players the last few weeks.  International football simply means more, it is special in a way that club football never could be.  It can energise and unite a whole country, and has political significance.

Yet virtually to a man every single poster on here said club by a mile.  You petty, insular, parochial, myopic little weirdoes.  Yet they would all be the ones cracking a month long stauner if Scotland went on a run in the world cup.

This tournament is conclusive proof international football is infinitely bigger and more important than club and always will be.  I will accept your apologies below.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no surprise that affection for international football increases during the big tournaments. The truth is though, that outside the big events every 2-4 years, international football is shite.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's no surprise that affection for international football increases during the big tournaments. The truth is though, that outside the big events every 2-4 years, international football is shite.

Erm those events ARE international football champ.  There isn't anything else.  Good post though will definitely revisit.

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Erm those events ARE international football champ.  There isn't anything else.  Good post though will definitely revisit.

In your quest to be permanently angry with everything in life you appear to have not understood my post. Take a deep breath and start again.

We had the debate on here a while ago.  And virtually every single poster said club.  Clearly, as I told you at the time, you were all full of shit.

Look at lineker freely admitting he cried when England beat Colombia on penalties in the last fucking 16 FFS.  Did he cry when Leicester won the league, a much more miraculous achievement?  No he did not.

Look at the emotion in the fans and the players the last few weeks.  International football simply means more, it is special in a way that club football never could be.  It can energise and unite a whole country, and has political significance.

Yet virtually to a man every single poster on here said club by a mile.  You petty, insular, parochial, myopic little weirdoes.  Yet they would all be the ones cracking a month long stauner if Scotland went on a run in the world cup.

This tournament is conclusive proof international football is infinitely bigger and more important than club and always will be.  I will accept your apologies below.

The Club Vs Country debate in Scotland isn’t comparable at present I’m afraid.

The desperate desire to see another country fail, so overwhelmingly powerful amongst the TA/ABE brigade (and self evident amongst these pages) is a sorry indictment of where our National side is (or isn’t) at present.

It isn’t any great wonder that most football fans in Scotland have a stronger allegiance to their club side when the National set up at Hampden is so hopelessly weak from top to bottom. It wasn’t always so.

The rivalry has always been there yes, but the Scotland support of 35-40 years ago (even up to the 90’s) didn’t pay much attention to our neighbours as we had a decent side of our own to follow and who regularly punched above its weight. We suffered a number of ‘shock’ results in return (it became part of our make up), but we showed a quality on the park sometimes that the support yearned to see in numbers. The rollercoaster was addictive and the away trips were fantastic back then, when we regularly qualified for tournaments.

Our conveyor belt of talent has long since shuddered to a halt sadly, the reasons why, make for a separate debate I guess. But a generation of fans have drifted away proportionally.

Rose tinted spectacles perhaps, but I think it’s easy to see why Club football takes precedence over the general interest in the fortunes of the National side in Scotland, certainly over the last 20 years.

48 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

The rivalry has always been there yes, but the Scotland support of 35-40 years ago (even up to the 90’s) didn’t pay much attention to our neighbours as we had a decent side of our own to follow and who regularly punched above its weight.

Shite.

Club. It isn't really close for me. The last time I felt anywhere near the emotion for the national side as I do Aberdeen is after we lost to Italy in 2017. I've gone to a few games since and still support Scotland but not to the extent of when I was younger, or to the extent I support Aberdeen.

Scotland pulls the country together in a way that's unique but still club first.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

The Club Vs Country debate in Scotland isn’t comparable at present I’m afraid.

The desperate desire to see another country fail, so overwhelmingly powerful amongst the TA/ABE brigade (and self evident amongst these pages) is a sorry indictment of where our National side is (or isn’t) at present.

It isn’t any great wonder that most football fans in Scotland have a stronger allegiance to their club side when the National set up at Hampden is so hopelessly weak from top to bottom. It wasn’t always so.

The rivalry has always been there yes, but the Scotland support of 35-40 years ago (even up to the 90’s) didn’t pay much attention to our neighbours as we had a decent side of our own to follow and who regularly punched above its weight. We suffered a number of ‘shock’ results in return (it became part of our make up), but we showed a quality on the park sometimes that the support yearned to see in numbers. The rollercoaster was addictive and the away trips were fantastic back then, when we regularly qualified for tournaments.

Our conveyor belt of talent has long since shuddered to a halt sadly, the reasons why, make for a separate debate I guess. But a generation of fans have drifted away proportionally.

Rose tinted spectacles perhaps, but I think it’s easy to see why Club football takes precedence over the general interest in the fortunes of the National side in Scotland, certainly over the last 20 years.

Got to agree with Ned nederlander, this is just absolute total crap! In the 70s and 80s when scotland were doing well and qualifying for tournaments, England was still the big game every year, the country stopped for it. Tv showed the cup final and this game every year plus half a hour highlights on Saturday and Sunday, scotland v England was a huge event. Wanting England to lose is not anti English, it's because they are our traditional footballing rivals. 

For me club wins everytime over country. The unfortunate reason a successful club doesn't unite a town the way scotland can is simply almost every town in Scotland has half it's population supporting 2 Glasgow teams due to a century and a half of sectarian bigotry.

Club everytime.

Given the choice between St Johnstone winning the Premiership or Scotland winning the World Cup, its the title for Saints all day.

The World Cup is great because it's a four-yearly festival of football. You get to see players and countries you wouldn't normally. It's a feast for a month.

But then picture the qualifiers for major tournaments. Many of us resent losing Saturday fixtures to this, they should be bumped back to Wednesday nights out the way.

We've all been where you are right now, your team is a forgotten championship outfit and domestic football holds little attraction for you. 

11 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

:lol:

Not that it means anything, but yes, he did.

He also cried when his club sacked their league-winning manager FFS.

Scotland pulls the country together in a way that's unique but still club first.
Got to agree with Ned nederlander, this is just absolute total crap! In the 70s and 80s when scotland were doing well and qualifying for tournaments, England was still the big game every year, the country stopped for it. Tv showed the cup final and this game every year plus half a hour highlights on Saturday and Sunday, scotland v England was a huge event. Wanting England to lose is not anti English, it's because they are our traditional footballing rivals. 
For me club wins everytime over country. The unfortunate reason a successful club doesn't unite a town the way scotland can is simply almost every town in Scotland has half it's population supporting 2 Glasgow teams due to a century and a half of sectarian bigotry.

The Home International games were huge, but the focus was on US. (The Wembley 81 trip forever etched in the memory) I don’t remember fans really giving a shite how England fared against Wales or Northern Ireland though.

Archived