Forfar versus Airdrie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think about it, JW signed the whole defence that let us down time and time again last season, not only that but having signed a decent looking Left back from Thistle he then plays the decent Right back-midfielder at Left back to accommodate the new Right midfielder....anyway the collapse today came as no surprise as this has been on going for years. Oh and Airdrie are strong but still Airdrie albeit not the real Airdrie, a sort of Clydebank Airdrie. On a positive note, we beat Airdrie last season 1st game and almost got relegated so....

5 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

If you think about it, JW signed the whole defence that let us down time and time again last season, not only that but having signed a decent looking Left back from Thistle he then plays the decent Right back-midfielder at Left back to accommodate the new Right midfielder....anyway the collapse today came as no surprise as this has been on going for years. Oh and Airdrie are strong but still Airdrie albeit not the real Airdrie, a sort of Clydebank Airdrie. On a positive note, we beat Airdrie last season 1st game and almost got relegated so....

You having a good day aside from all that?

Guest bernardblack

Put the kiss of death on that before the game.....

We looked very very good for 75/80mins but fair play to Airdrie getting 3 chances and scoring all them.

Two subs that came on changed the game

Bl**dy McIntosh. Every time he plays against us - Peterhead, Arbroath and now Airdrie. Could see it coming after we passed up at least 3 very good chances to take the game away from Airdrie.
Early season optimism disappeared before 4:45pm on day 1. I hate football.

We were poor for 80 minutes, our subs gave us a different dimension though and the work rate of McIntosh and Vitoria was followed by goals.

McIntosh looked offside for his goal, would be good to see that again in the highlights, I’ll take it though!

1 hour ago, tbsouth said:

1 hour ago, tbsouth said:

Yeh i even managed to avoid the #FREETOMMY mob...

fd70c9214808434d64c4cfe4cf46dc6e--jack-nicholson-jack-oconnell.thumb.jpg.2a0364a4feeeb6d9983745a65a2f16ea.jpg

Guest bernardblack

Easton looks a different player this season.

Moore pulled out of a couple of challengers which is never good to see. Decent game from him though

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

Easton looks a different player this season.

Moore pulled out of a couple of challengers which is never good to see. Decent game from him though

No idea how he got MOTM though, Murray was our top performer, new guys not any better than what we have (as per usual)

Away on holiday so missed the game - shame, as I always like trips to Forfar.  Such a nice change to see us scoring late goals rather than letting them in!

At 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go, previous teams would have just conceded the game! Last season, we would make substitutions for the sake of it but to have players like McIntosh and Victoria who can come on and actually influence games this season shows the strength and depth we have. Very early days but to win championships, you need to be able to dig out a result when you’re playing poorly which is exactly what we did today.

9 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Very excited for this today.

If we score first it’s game over

Up until the Airdrie subs you were almost right in that pre match optimism. Thought the first half was very even although Forfar had the better chances and did score a good counter attack as our back three were posted missing. At half time Airdrie needed to change from 3=5-2  to something else so that Meechan at RB was exposed to some sort of attacking threat and so it proved when Vittoria came on. Had Forfar got a second I don't think we would have responded so well. Felt that Wilkie never gave us any attacking width and high balls to Carrick?Duffy were predictable. It was only when we went 4-4-2 that it turned in our favour. Until the 80th minute the howls of frustration around me for each mis placed pass and long bouncing balls on their way out the pitch, were perfectly justified. Vittoria turned the game with a great individual move tho the goalie looked weak in spilling it. Conroy is on way to being my hero this season as that equaliser changed the whole game. A long ball from Crighton ( I think) managed to fool the Forfar CB and if McIntosh was offside he did what was needed by that cute lob. Only the Lino will know if he got it right or wrong till highlights appear. The third was a good cross from Conroy which Vittoria did well to create space and score. If the game had finished at 80 minutes we would all have been entitled to be annoyed but it lasts 90+ so I was delighted on home journey. Showed quality of competitive squad. Forfar looked a solid side with Baird and Hilson looking good up front and will be a tough match for everyone

2 hours ago, loon00 said:

Thought we played really well with Dale, Murray and the new boy Moore being particularly impressive but need to be putting the game to bed while we were on top, bit of a meltdown

I wonder how many footballing cliches JW will use during the post match interview? "we need to stop giving away soft goals".."inexperience showed today".. "we have got to be stronger in defensive positions" etc etc..

Was that robbery or the good use of subs

The Loons front 3 will trouble a few defences this season but then again how many saves did our goalie make? 

Edwards I hope will have learned much from today, including perhaps that he's not really a left back; we missed Kieran

The Forfar defence and midfield nullified our attack until the subs came on and ultimately we had 4 forwards on the park. Cred to Findus for doing that and at least going for a victory that looked unlikely after 80 mins.

Victoria and McIntosh are unpredictable but effective so why not give them a start in place of Carrick and Duffy?

Scottie and Wilkie and Gallagher will have better days. 

Will Conroy become the new fans' favourite???

Maybe a tight pitch affected the play. Let's see what happens when we have Forfar on the larger surface of Nou Broomfield

3 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Victoria and McIntosh are unpredictable but effective so why not give them a start in place of Carrick and Duffy?

Scottie and Wilkie and Gallagher will have better days. 

Will Conroy become the new fans' favourite???

Agreed with your debate about robbery etc but I can't see the Carrick/Duffy front two being replaced. They both worked really hard today largely on scraps and the change was justified  if only to use McIntosh's physical edge, which allowed Carrick to drop into where Wilkie had been. I wonder if Stewart was fully fit? Gallagher seemed a bit off from last week but I do like his role and efforts. As for Conroy it has been a remarkable turn around as he seems so much better with experienced players around him- I would quibble by saying he does not have to take every free kick?  Impact subs a la Andy Smith are always welcome. 

Archived