Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

31 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Its been seen as wrong to use it since the 70's - even in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

Sorry, but that's not quite correct. That article is a typical BBC nonsense piece which originated in 2015.

I was taught at school in the 80's to use the word "coloured" as "black" was apparently "offensive", that's not a BBC piece by some 19 year old "journalist" it's a fact that our school curriculum was teaching this.

I've also asked a few people of similar ages to myself around my office who all grew up in different areas of Scotland to myself and they agree that "coloured" was what they were told was the "correct" way to reference someone who is now known as "Black".

Once again, certain people are attempting to rewrite History..............

Edited by WATTOO

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Sorry, but that's not quite correct. That article is a typical BBC nonsense piece which originated in 2015.

I was taught at school in the 80's to use the word "coloured" as "black" was apparently "offensive", that's not a BBC piece by some 19 year old "journalist" it's a fact that our school curriculum was teaching this.

I've also asked a few people of similar ages to myself around my office who all grew up in different areas of Scotland to myself and they agree that "coloured" was what they were told was the "correct" way to reference someone who is now known as "Black".

You'd also have been taught that Pluto was a planet, that Columbus discovered America and thought that Rolf Harris was a top boy rather than a screaming nonce - but thirty year can fair change some shit.

5 hours ago, WATTOO said:

People who prefer to be referred to as black rather than coloured. What's your objection?

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

People who prefer to be referred to as black rather than coloured. What's your objection?

The only people this has come from is the "give racism a red card" mob. 

Who made them the owners of language and terminology ?

Why is what we were taught 20 years ago wrong suddenly and why should the rantings of some teenage journalist, who's quite obviously done very little research, be treated as some sort of sacred gospel ?

The only people this has come from is the "give racism a red card" mob. 
Who made them the owners of language and terminology ?
Why is what we were taught 20 years ago wrong suddenly and why should the rantings of some teenage journalist, who's quite obviously done very little research, be treated as some sort of sacred gospel ?

You could listen to black people on this. The woman Amber Rudd’s comment was about for example.

IMG_4180.jpg

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You could listen to black people on this. The woman Amber Rudd’s comment was about for example.

IMG_4180.jpg

Give yourself a break Abbot was political point scoring as you well know and this is almost an identical situation to the right wing Jewish mob going on and on and on and on about anti semitism when the left wing mob don't see it as an issue. It's politics pure and simple and nothing to do with race or religion.

I could quote you Trevor Phillips with the alternative view,

"As the public face of the EHRC for over six years, I was forced to spend many hours on TV and radio, wearily opining on whether it was racist to use the word ‘coloured’ (Amber Rudd can be reassured it isn’t, and people of colour have many better things to be offended about)"

Frankly, I'm really sick of the lot of it..........

Minister who was responsible for wrongly deporting Black people makes racist comment live on the BBC. 
Labour has the problem though....
It's important to note the context of what she was saying though.

She was defending Diane Abbott, and other women of colour (which is what I think she meant to say).

She apologised, and said she'd was mortified (as she should be).

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There's only so long you can peddle the same stuff before the zzzzzz factor kicks in, and we are now in that territory.

A banner running continually throughout the Sophy Ridge show.

45 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:
A banner running continually throughout the Sophy Ridge show.

I'd expect no less, but that doesn't alter my point - people are moving on, everything has a shelf-life.

The paper review on Radio Scotlandshire basically said it was an albatross round Labours neck that they'll unlikely get rid off. They did kind of concede that it's a go to  tool for the Tory press and said there would be an anti Islam story out tomorrow in the left leaning press to slander the tories. So tit for tat deflection stuff.