Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

10/10 banger 

I thought that the "people in power" had come up with an elaborate subterfuge by one of them sacrificing themselves at the end of HP4 to get close to Voldemort for some reason. Not sure he's thought this analogy through. 

41 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I thought that the "people in power" had come up with an elaborate subterfuge by one of them sacrificing themselves at the end of HP4 to get close to Voldemort for some reason. Not sure he's thought this analogy through. 

Ok.

On 21/05/2021 at 22:15, Detournement said:
Even Krishna goes Gammon when faced with an intelligent Palestinian.

The last question is ridiculous. "Will Palestine hand over terrorists and suicide bomber planners to the ICJ?" Well if it means getting a internationally recognised state obviously they will go jail for the rest of their lives. Lib Brain can't comprehend that.

He's not considered the practicalities
Sure you  can hand over a terrorist but you  could  only hand over a bits of a suicide bomber

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

Ah c'mon that whole thing was about playing on people's ignorance of a country to get them to betray their own prejudices.

Right, and in the meantime (at least amongst high school students in my experience) had kids running around thinking the Jew jokes and the concept of central Asian people in general was incredibly funny. Also exploiting those folk in Romania etc. There's a reason Borat endures far more than his other characters and it's not because he played on people's ignorance more than any of the others did 

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Right, and in the meantime (at least amongst high school students in my experience) had kids running around thinking the Jew jokes and the concept of central Asian people in general was incredibly funny. Also exploiting those folk in Romania etc. There's a reason Borat endures far more than his other characters and it's not because he played on people's ignorance more than any of the others did 

you may be correct, theres always been a hint of racism in Borats comedy. A particular middle class kind, the same unconscious bias they would probably accuse others of having

15 minutes ago, Pato said:

QED. We as a society think anything east of Warsaw is full of swarthy people with monobrows hitting turnips with lumps of wood and it's on us if we take the jokes at face value. Same as it was for Alf Garnett.

I mean if you like, sure. The point being that someone who contributed to the trivialization of anti semitism, whether it was in the noble cause of showing people that Americans can be racist (a shock to everyone I'm sure) or not, getting mad about people being mean online is funny.

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

That isn't what he's getting mad about though. He's saying quite specifically real world antisemitism is spiking because of activity online. In the same way a load of Polish guys got their heads kicked in the night of the brexit referendum. Why would twitter allow that hashtag? What possible justification could someone concoct?

Where's the connection, the "because" there? And if it's fine for people to say Jews did 9/11 or throw Jews down the well as long as it's great satire definitely not making fun of kazakhs or exploiting Romanian people, how do we know that people aren't using that hashtag to point out the ignorance and bigotry of others? To be clear it's obviously disgusting for anyone to say that, or to commit any form of anti semitic attack, but SBC is a bit of a hypocrite imo (and apparently the ADLs given they were unhappy about the song at the time).  

Just now, Pato said:

Just to get this straight - are you asking me what the connection is between antisemitic comments online and vandalism of synagogues in the real world and whatnot?

No not at all, more linking specific incidents of something to generalized "this is happening online" but tbf that's pedantic nonsense on my part in any case 

8 minutes ago, Pato said:

What are they?

There's traditionally a rise in antisemitism when the 'situation' in Gaza 'intensifies'.

The widening definition of antisemitism itself will inevitably lead to more incidents being reported.

There's a not small number of weirdos who are currently comparing coronavirus restrictions and wearing masks to the holocaust and jews wearing yellow stars.

1 hour ago, Pato said:

Ah c'mon that whole thing was about playing on people's ignorance of a country to get them to betray their own prejudices.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I mean Sacha Baron Cohen probably isn't Baddiel levels of hypocrisy given he is Jewish himself and poking fun at stereotypes of his own religious group but I had the same experience as GHB and it's either Borat or South Park which has to take the L on teaching a load of Scottish weans about Jewish stereotypes. 

Pato if I knew how to make the meme of the point going over someone's head while he laughs at the surface reading I would put your quote as the point and have the guy saying "jagshemash!" The thing about that meme tho, IMO, is that it can be both. I still laugh at Borat despite it being puerile and I usually try to justify it on the intellectual grounds you're giving but on some level it is just a guy saying "my wife!" in a funny accent.