Nipper Salmond

RadgerTheBadger

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont think and I may be wrong, that he is an advocate?

Eta im aware he may hire him as a solicitor but I dont think AA has rights of audience to lead a defence. Be funny if it’s Findlay.

Paul McBride would have been the go to man before he went his holidays with Anwar.....

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Damn it....That's not so good. I must admit I didn't think he was looking very well last time I saw him.

So any suggestions as to who AS should engage to defend him?

Given that cost will be no object.

Are you running a book on this? I'll go for Mhairi Richards. 

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are you running a book on this? I'll go for Mhairi Richards. 

That's not a bad shout. Her CV reads pretty well : 

Areas of practice; Crime-trials including Murder, Fraud and Embezzlement, Drugs, RTA Sexual Offences, Serious and Organised Crime, Health and Safety Prosecutions and Regulatory Crime, particularly, E&C, AML and Bribery Act offences. POCA related matters including civil aspects.

That should just about cover everything Eck's been charged with. Hope he's not thinking about Donald Finlay, QC.

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

That's not a bad shout. Her CV reads pretty well : 

Areas of practice; Crime-trials including Murder, Fraud and Embezzlement, Drugs, RTA Sexual Offences, Serious and Organised Crime, Health and Safety Prosecutions and Regulatory Crime, particularly, E&C, AML and Bribery Act offences. POCA related matters including civil aspects.

That should just about cover everything Eck's been charged with. Hope he's not thinking about Donald Finlay, QC.

The jury would probably tolerate more cross examination of the witnesses from a female Advocate in sexual assault cases imo. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The jury would probably tolerate more cross examination of the witnesses from a female Advocate in sexual assault cases imo. 

It certainly would be interesting, but might get a bit bitchy.

Shame we don't have televised trials in this country.

Well, let's just have a look at whether the Scottish Parliament takes fewer holidays or more holidays than Westmnster, shall we. I wonder what we'll find. 

I've picked 2018 for comparison purposes, and assumed a working week is Monday - Friday. I've not bothered to factor in public holidays.

Holyrood dates    

Christmas 23/12/17 - 7/1/18 (10 working days)

February 10/2 - 18/2 (5 working days)

Spring 31/3-15/4 (10 working days)

Summer 30/6 - 2/9 (45 working days)

Autumn 6/10 - 21/10 (10 working days)

TOTAL 80 working days

Westminster dates

Christmas    21/12/17 - 8/1/18 (11 working days)
February    8/2 - 20/2 (7 working days)
Easter    29/3 - 16/4 (11 working days)
May    3/5 - 8/5 (2 working days) 
Whitsun    24/5 - 4/6 (6 working days) 

Summer    24 /7 - 4/9 (29 working days)
Conference    13/9 - 9/10 (17 working days)
November    6/11 - 12/11 (3 working days)

TOTAL 86 working days

Well, just look at that! Nicola gets fewer holidays than all 650 MP's and all 790 lords at Westminster. Colour me surprised!

I know what bunch of freeloaders I would get rid of first (hint: there are currently 790 of them)

Err, H_B, I was referring to the holidays that MP's/Lords/MSP's get. In parliamentary terminology, these holidays are known as 'Recess Dates'. As I show in my previous post, Westminster was in recess for 86 weekdays in 2018, while Holyrood was in recess for only 80 weekdays.

You can attempt to compare debating time in Holyrood with the archaic procedures at Westminster if you wish. I'll be interested in seeing how you compare the modern electronic voting system at Holyrood with the slow and cumbersome methods used at Westminster

However, as you well know, UK parliamentarians spend parliamentary time on other duties apart from formal debates. They lodge motions, amendments and questions, and can introduce bills or draft regulations. Are you honestly suggesting that this work is all done on the floor of the chamber!