Airdrie v Sutton United

EJF

43 minutes ago, Amber SUFC said:

Back to winning ways last night, I'm a little more confident this morning  :unsure2:

How are you guys looking at this competition actually? I'm a bit surprised to see good English national league sides included considering you've already got 46 league games, FA Cup, FA Trophy & possible play-offs to deal with...

Marmite for most fans.  I would rather we win this than get promotion :o  Others just want EFL for Sutton

The club and manager seem happy to compete but may have concerns if we were to make progress.  I cant see that happening to be honest.

3 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

Back to winning ways last night, I'm a little more confident this morning  :unsure2:

Will be really good to see either way.  You have a few players who played at a really good level (Bailey and Eastmond) and your side will be physically imposing.

2 hours ago, Airdrie1977 said:

Will be really good to see either way.  You have a few players who played at a really good level (Bailey and Eastmond) and your side will be physically imposing.

Bailey (who’s career started at Sutton) will miss the game due to an injury.  Eastmond should be available. 

Looking at the highlights, Joao Victoria looks decent and will be a threat. What other players should we look out for?

Bailey (who’s career started at Sutton) will miss the game due to an injury.  Eastmond should be available. 

Looking at the highlights, Joao Victoria looks decent and will be a threat. What other players should we look out for?

Dale Carrick, Ryan Conroy and Daryl Duffy if he starts along with Victoria will be our most dangerous players.

4 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

Yeah,  the two wide strikers, Victoria and Carrick are our best.

A game where there was no great difference between the sides; the main one was chance taking in that Airdrie failed to score when clean through early on; a quick break from a corner saw Gallagher lose out on a high ball and No 20 ( wright) held off MacDonald to go through and score the only goal. He was quite impressive all game in the Sutton side. The names on the back let me see Bailey playing at full back and he had a real problem in dealing with Victoria ( the occasional bad foul aside got him a yellow ) but while their midfield and CBs were solid they had little out wide. Airdrie did have lots of possession in second half but could not convert- one header from Robertson looked certain but went high and their goalie had a great save from Carrick in the last minute. Thought we did play quite well but just not enough. Victoria had a great game but was well marked as a danger man. Scott Robertson got MOM largely because he was mainly attacking in 2nd half  and deserved it. As for Conroy he did come off but all his free kicks/corners were fruitless. As I have said before can't we have some variety?  Chancing a prediction I don't see Sutton going much further. Their travelling support certainly backed up their side with South London accented familiar tunes.  For us on to Methil next week and they beat thistle today so it will be tough. As to the Challenge cup format I remain sceptical and now have a choice of England/Spain on Sky or Queens Park in Welsh.  

A game where there was no great difference between the sides; the main one was chance taking in that Airdrie failed to score when clean through early on; a quick break from a corner saw Gallagher lose out on a high ball and No 20 ( wright) held off MacDonald to go through and score the only goal. He was quite impressive all game in the Sutton side. The names on the back let me see Bailey playing at full back and he had a real problem in dealing with Victoria ( the occasional bad foul aside got him a yellow ) but while their midfield and CBs were solid they had little out wide. Airdrie did have lots of possession in second half but could not convert- one header from Robertson looked certain but went high and their goalie had a great save from Carrick in the last minute. Thought we did play quite well but just not enough. Victoria had a great game but was well marked as a danger man. Scott Robertson got MOM largely because he was mainly attacking in 2nd half  and deserved it. As for Conroy he did come off but all his free kicks/corners were fruitless. As I have said before can't we have some variety?  Chancing a prediction I don't see Sutton going much further. Their travelling support certainly backed up their side with South London accented familiar tunes.  For us on to Methil next week and they beat thistle today so it will be tough. As to the Challenge cup format I remain sceptical and now have a choice of England/Spain on Sky or Queens Park in Welsh.  
Agree with most of this, although thought Victoria faded a wee bit in the second half, although he had obviously been tagged as the "danger man" having 2 sometimes 3 people round him as soon as he got possession.
Carrick's chance in the first half was the real opening but felt he narrowed the angle to much for himself when he could have possibly made it better for himself 3 or 4 touches before the shot. Conroy had a bit of a stinker and should/could probably been taken off 25 minutes before he was. MacDonald didn't look comfortable yesterday however Crighton and Robertson looked more than capable and I never thought a mistake would come from down that side.
Carrick huffed and puffed but it just didn't happen bit his effort can't be commited.
As previously mentioned, not much between the sides and Id be quite confident that if Sutton get drew against a Ross County or a Dunfermline, it would probably be their last tie in this competition this year.

Archived