Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

3 hours ago, A Believer said:

Aye, we've lost our first competitive game of the season and were already relegated. Early call, even for the cups half empty brigade. It's not a great result, but a new team playing at a place where we rarely get anything doesn't mean man the lifeboats chaps.
We're skint, and will rely on knitting what we have, and players from organic development, into a decent team. I don't think we're alone in SPFL2 in that posotion, so let's see what a few league matches bring in due course before we run up the white flag.

Fair comment indeed. Annan did beat a Prem club on Saturday.

Evidence so far isn't great, and the Boardroom farce is pathetic, but it's not even August yet. 

6 hours ago, A Believer said:

Aye, we've lost our first competitive game of the season and were already relegated. Early call, even for the cups half empty brigade. It's not a great result, but a new team playing at a place where we rarely get anything doesn't mean man the lifeboats chaps.
We're skint, and will rely on knitting what we have, and players from organic development, into a decent team. I don't think we're alone in SPFL2 in that posotion, so let's see what a few league matches bring in due course before we run up the white flag.

Christ on a bike, how many seasons do we hear this, budget knackered, all we can get players, manager doing his best (give him until Christmas, January transfer window, summer signings) delete as applicable

Board room in such a state, that it makes brexit a tea party.

What is it gonna take to say no we ain't giving it time. Lowland league ???

22 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

Christ on a bike, how many seasons do we hear this, budget knackered, all we can get players, manager doing his best (give him until Christmas, January transfer window, summer signings) delete as applicable

Board room in such a state, that it makes brexit a tea party.

What is it gonna take to say no we ain't giving it time. Lowland league ???

You are both right. The last 2 posts are not incompatible. 

The governance of the club needs sorting out immediately - it is beyond pathetic.

But equally, the Manager and the team on the pitch needs support and it is too early to definitely write them off. 

You are both right. The last 2 posts are not incompatible. 
The governance of the club needs sorting out immediately - it is beyond pathetic.
But equally, the Manager and the team on the pitch needs support and it is too early to definitely write them off. 
Thanks Redcar, I only commented on the team, as I felt it unfair to judge them after 1 competitive match; however as you rightly point out, the club structure clearly enables the team to perform, so the link is unavoidable.

I haven't commented on the board, as I don't know the BRFC corporate operating model, company constitution, or articles, that the Directors operate under. However.

A common thread here is suggesting Directors are choosing not to inject more cash, as that's incumbent on them as Directors. This might be unfair, as perhaps the BRFC shareholders, who approve Director appointments, follow different constitutional criteria to ensure Directors add value to the club.

Another, more cancerous, allegation is that Directors openly discuss and even denigrate each other outside board. That can't happen.

I say that, not to uphold a 'veil of secrecy' (another regular concern) but any company without a clear mission statement, objectives and operating model, which all Directors completely stand behind (even if one or two don't agree) really is disfunctional. But people need to have facts to substantiate such an allegation, as it's misconduct and should likely to lead to dismissal.

If change is to happen, the constitution (or articles of association) will explain the best way to drive that from within, or by outside agency. All shareholders have access to these documents.

Less talking, more doing.

9 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Thanks Redcar, I only commented on the team, as I felt it unfair to judge them after 1 competitive match; however as you rightly point out, the club structure clearly enables the team to perform, so the link is unavoidable.

I haven't commented on the board, as I don't know the BRFC corporate operating model, company constitution, or articles, that the Directors operate under. However.

A common thread here is suggesting Directors are choosing not to inject more cash, as that's incumbent on them as Directors. This might be unfair, as perhaps the BRFC shareholders, who approve Director appointments, follow different constitutional criteria to ensure Directors add value to the club.

Another, more cancerous, allegation is that Directors openly discuss and even denigrate each other outside board. That can't happen.

I say that, not to uphold a 'veil of secrecy' (another regular concern) but any company without a clear mission statement, objectives and operating model, which all Directors completely stand behind (even if one or two don't agree) really is disfunctional. But people need to have facts to substantiate such an allegation, as it's misconduct and should likely to lead to dismissal.

If change is to happen, the constitution (or articles of association) will explain the best way to drive that from within, or by outside agency. All shareholders have access to these documents.

Less talking, more doing.

Honorary President: John Hush

Chairman: Len Eyre

Vice-Chairman: Douglas Watkin

Director of Football: Eric Tait

Directors:  Moray McLaren, William Parkin, Graham Bell, John Bell, Lesley Hood & David Hamilton.

Associate Directors:  Ross Meins,  Ian Beresford & Graham Exley.

This is the boardroom plus the company secretary,  Do we really need 13 people on there for a company with an annual turnover of less than 300k? no wonder nobody can make any decisions. 

Edited by dougster

Honorary President: John Hush

Chairman: Len Eyre

Vice-Chairman: Douglas Watkin

Director of Football: Eric Tait

Directors:  Moray McLaren, William Parkin, Graham Bell, John Bell, Lesley Hood & David Hamilton.

Associate Directors:  Ross Meins,  Ian Beresford & Graham Exley.

This is the boardroom plus the company secretary,  Do we really need 13 people on there for a company with an annual turnover of less than 300k? no wonder nobody can make any decisions. 

You could chop 6 off and see no difference in output

24 minutes ago, Dm1991 said:

Different Marc Malloy than what you are thinking. The player on our bench on Tuesday night is from our Reserve team.

Knickers knackers knockers.

Grateful Airdrie left their A game back in Lanarkshire.

Positives :- 

Central midfield trio - Willis excellent with a solid pairing of Phillips and O'Kane behind.

Todd and Wilson solid at the back

negatives :-

Jack Cook struggled with his positional play at right back.

Olly Fleming just isn't a footballer.

Orru struggled to get across the half-way line.

Front two carried no threat. 

3 senior experienced players could completely change this team and our season. Instead of telling the players to look out for a Green Bus,  maybe our board could give the manager some direction in what is a crucial two weeks for the club. 

If your number 10 is Willis I agree he had a good game. Enjoyed the social club and the A team was there in spells. Will miss the challenge cup game but as I think it is a devalued competition I wont mind if you get your game together. Good luck in your season

A few glimpses of life today. The most glaring errors are the wing backs playing too deep, no threat up front and O'Kane currently being pre-printed on referees red cards.

Plusses include 2 decent keepers staunch if guileless defence, and Willis taking a bit of responsibility in the middle.

9 hours ago, Redcar said:

A few glimpses of life today. The most glaring errors are the wing backs playing too deep, no threat up front and O'Kane currently being pre-printed on referees red cards.

Plusses include 2 decent keepers staunch if guileless defence, and Willis taking a bit of responsibility in the middle.

Without knowing much about Berwick, I genuinely thought it was meant to be a flat back 5. Seemed set up very negatively and it didn’t really change at any point  through the game  

Hearts v Cowdenbeath £10. A lot to play for.
Berwick v Hamilton £12 meaningless fixture.
Not doing much to keep a dwindling fan base interested. 

Those at Tynecastle have some kinda idea, not it all mind, how to run a football club while those a Shielfield couldnt run a bath

24 minutes ago, Slaverysam said:

Those at Tynecastle have some kinda idea, not it all mind, how to run a football club while those a Shielfield couldnt run a bath

All the games in our group have been a tenner apart from Raith v Hearts which was 15, although they would have the expense of hiring Bayview. Think its ten for Hearts v Inverness as well.