Berwick Rangers 2018/2019 Thread

7 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Still think its terrible that both Albion and QP got the 3 points and 3-0 wins, take the points off Clyde for fucking up but don't give them to the other teams.

Agreed, Ive never seen it before unless the other team folds mid season, look at Fort William this season 9 points deducted but not awarded to the other team. 

Fort William have been deducted nine points and fined £150 for fielding an ineligible player on three occasions
nai_small.png

The Claggan Park side have lost all five of their opening matches this season, conceding 48 goals and scoring on only two occasions.

A statement released by the Highland League this morning confirmed the points penalty.

It read: “’The matter of Fort William FC fielding an ineligible player on three occasions was considered by the league management committee at its meeting yesterday evening.

“In forming its conclusion, the league management committee took into account the fact that the club had agreed that this amounted to a breach of Rule 8.9.4 and that the terms of clause 8.9.13 provided for a mandatory penalty.

“Consequently, the meeting decided that Fort William FC be fined a total of £150 and deducted nine points with immediate effect.”

22 minutes ago, dougster said:

Agreed, Ive never seen it before unless the other team folds mid season, look at Fort William this season 9 points deducted but not awarded to the other team. 

Fort William have been deducted nine points and fined £150 for fielding an ineligible player on three occasions
nai_small.png

The Claggan Park side have lost all five of their opening matches this season, conceding 48 goals and scoring on only two occasions.

A statement released by the Highland League this morning confirmed the points penalty.

It read: “’The matter of Fort William FC fielding an ineligible player on three occasions was considered by the league management committee at its meeting yesterday evening.

“In forming its conclusion, the league management committee took into account the fact that the club had agreed that this amounted to a breach of Rule 8.9.4 and that the terms of clause 8.9.13 provided for a mandatory penalty.

“Consequently, the meeting decided that Fort William FC be fined a total of £150 and deducted nine points with immediate effect.”

mind you they never won any anyway 

Still think its terrible that both Albion and QP got the 3 points and 3-0 wins, take the points off Clyde for fucking up but don't give them to the other teams.
Agreed. The trouble with awarding/deducting points is that other teams can be affected (eg Berwick) when all teams should be judged solely on results on the pitch. Or else the points can be meaningless (eg QP with nothing to play for). Either way it's a bad idea.

Best solution I think would be let the results stand (sorry Albion!) but dock the guilty team some points, if they must, from the start of next season.

46 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

It’s a scandal really because Clydes mistake is punishing Berwick, an innocent victim. The Albion game should be replayed with Clyde covering all costs. QP should be given the option of either banking their point or replaying the game again with Clyde covering all costs. If they don’t want a replay then a fine for Clyde would suffice. But gifting Albion 3 unworthy points is a disgrace on every level. 

It’s a scandal really because Clydes mistake is punishing Berwick, an innocent victim. The Albion game should be replayed with Clyde covering all costs. QP should be given the option of either banking their point or replaying the game again with Clyde covering all costs. If they don’t want a replay then a fine for Clyde would suffice. But gifting Albion 3 unworthy points is a disgrace on every level. 
I agree with your last sentence but not with replaying the games. Clyde are the guilty party why reward them with another go? Wouldn't everybody be tempted to take a chance on ignoring the rules if that's the precedent?

In any event I cannot see there is any time to squeeze in 2 extra games before the end of the season. And after it Clyde are in the playoffs. And how do we determine finishing places & thus playoff fixtures until they're done? And if Clyde could even pip Peterhead to the top by winning these 2 extra games why should Peterhead suffer? Ditto Berwick if Albion were to win. The season is supposed to end at the same time for everybody.

I agree with your last sentence but not with replaying the games. Clyde are the guilty party why reward them with another go? Wouldn't everybody be tempted to take a chance on ignoring the rules if that's the precedent?

In any event I cannot see there is any time to squeeze in 2 extra games before the end of the season. And after it Clyde are in the playoffs. And how do we determine finishing places & thus playoff fixtures until they're done? And if Clyde could even pip Peterhead to the top by winning these 2 extra games why should Peterhead suffer? Ditto Berwick if Albion were to win. The season is supposed to end at the same time for everybody.

We didn’t ignore the rules, we recalled our own player from a loan spell at a junior club, outside of the transfer window. An error yes but hardly worthy of the punishment issued.

There are four Saturdays left so 2 midweek games could easily be fitted in, however I don’t think the QP game should be replayed anyway, should stand as a draw.

Whether the original ruling was fair or not, all that's important now is whether it gets overturned.

Clyde will ostensibly argue for replays, but probably don't care at all about stripping Rovers of the three points that went to Coatbridge; I just don't see a scenario wherein the SFA will, despite no one arguing for it, help us out here.

Whether the original ruling was fair or not, all that's important now is whether it gets overturned.
Clyde will ostensibly argue for replays, but probably don't care at all about stripping Rovers of the three points that went to Coatbridge; I just don't see a scenario wherein the SFA will, despite no one arguing for it, help us out here.
I suspect you've put your finger on the procedural unfairness there. Clyde will have someone there to argue their case. Maybe Albion too. But is anyone going to be speaking for the other affected teams? Berwick Peterhead Edinburgh? I'd like to know.

We didn’t ignore the rules, we recalled our own player from a loan spell at a junior club, outside of the transfer window. An error yes but hardly worthy of the punishment issued.

There are four Saturdays left so 2 midweek games could easily be fitted in, however I don’t think the QP game should be replayed anyway, should stand as a draw.
You might be right that you don't deserve the punishment. That is debatable. But the certainty is that Albion don't deserve 3 points that they didn't win on the pitch and Berwick (God forbid) don't deserve to be chucked out of the league by committee after winning it on the pitch.

And then you played him in 2 league games when he was ineligible. Points deductions tend to follow that action unless there are mitigating circumstances - what exactly is the mitigation? It is pretty well known among clubs that you can't recall players outwith transfer window to play in 1st team.

Its not a scandal. An ineligible player set up a goal against Albion Rovers - how should they be compensated? A player that shouldn’t have been on he pitch helped defeat them. 
But it does not follow from that that if he had not been on the pitch Albion would have avoided defeat. They were being beaten by just about everybody at the time.

17 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Its not a scandal. An ineligible player set up a goal against Albion Rovers - how should they be compensated? A player that shouldn’t have been on he pitch helped defeat them. 

Nonsense. Did that same player stop them scoring a goal in that game?  Would Albion have won 3-0  if he hadn’t played. Of course not. Point Is Berwick are being adversely affected by a mistake not theirs. That’s a scandal. 

1 minute ago, Pompey Blue said:

Nonsense. Did that same player stop them scoring a goal in that game?  Would Albion have won 3-0  if he hadn’t played. Of course not. Point Is Berwick are being adversely affected by a mistake not theirs. That’s a scandal. 

We will never know as an ineligible player was fielded. I’m dealing in facts you’re dealing in conjecture.

Berwick have not been disadvantaged either. They should be totally irrelevant in this. 

11 minutes ago, A12A1 said:

But it does not follow from that that if he had not been on the pitch Albion would have avoided defeat. They were being beaten by just about everybody at the time.

So what you’re saying is the league should use some sort of pools panel system when ineligible players are played? “Ach they are shit anyway so he didn’t change the result. Just keep it as it is”.

2 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

We will never know as an ineligible player was fielded. I’m dealing in facts you’re dealing in conjecture.

Berwick have not been disadvantaged either. They should be totally irrelevant in this. 

yes they have, if you can find anywhere, in any league which has reversed the result for this offence let me know.  3 points deducted yes but never a reversal of the result

3 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

If Berwick finish bottom by 2 points then that’s hardly an irrelevance is it. They’d have finished bottom because Albion were given 3 points they didn’t win. Again that’s a scandal. 

2 minutes ago, Pompey Blue said:

If Berwick finish bottom by 2 points then that’s hardly an irrelevance is it. They’d have finished bottom because Albion were given 3 points they didn’t win. Again that’s a scandal. 

Berwick should be irrelevant in any decision making process. To say otherwise is deluded. 

yes they have, if you can find anywhere, in any league which has reversed the result for this offence let me know.  3 points deducted yes but never a reversal of the result

Eh what about the SPFL development league in both the last 2 seasons - that was the decision in quite a number of cases ?

6 minutes ago, dougster said:

Celtic v Sion as well.