Hero in England, Zero in Scotland

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Nuttall was one of these journeymen who came to the Dons and didn't cut it for whatever reason.

I notice he's been playing and scoring for Blackburn in the Championship this season - so presumably had something to offer that McInnes couldn't get from him.

See also Chris Forrester, Stephen Gleeson, Josh Parker, Nicky Maynard, Jeffrey Monakana  etc etc

53 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Joe Nuttall was one of these journeymen who came to the Dons and didn't cut it for whatever reason.

I notice he's been playing and scoring for Blackburn in the Championship this season - so presumably had something to offer that McInnes couldn't get from him.

See also Chris Forrester, Stephen Gleeson, Josh Parker, Nicky Maynard, Jeffrey Monakana  etc etc

Joe Nuttall is currently 21 and was signed for our youth team then never got given a senior contract iirc.  Certainly never made it up here but he’s not even close to being deemed a journeyman!

Nicky Maynard was pretty pish in England as well though. Don’t think any of them are considered a “hero” anywhere?

The Andrew Shinnie who was playing so well for Caley that he played for Scotland?  About 3 games for an admin riddled (at the time) joke Dundee side in the 1st Division isn't really a good gauge IMO.
he played a lot more games for dundee than 3. never thought he was anything special and i did say at a push.

8 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
On 17/12/2018 at 08:58, TheScarf said:
The Andrew Shinnie who was playing so well for Caley that he played for Scotland?  About 3 games for an admin riddled (at the time) joke Dundee side in the 1st Division isn't really a good gauge IMO.

he played a lot more games for dundee than 3. never thought he was anything special and i did say at a push.

He wasn't a flop in Scotland and should be nowhere near this thread.

On 17/12/2018 at 18:46, Monkey Tennis said:

What an utterly ridiculous suggestion.

The thread title suggests players who have flopped in Scotland, so you go for someone who's been outstanding here over several seasons.

I said with the exception of his time at QOS  before he went down South.  Pity he didn’t have the same concentration levels and attitude earlier in his career as he obvs has plenty ability which has been shown both down there and since his return.

25 minutes ago, St Innes said:

I said with the exception of his time at QOS  before he went down South.  Pity he didn’t have the same concentration levels and attitude earlier in his career as he obvs has plenty ability which has been shown both down there and since his return.

Yes, but he earned his move south by being sensational over a sustained spell in Scotland.  

6 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

He once had a trial with St. Mirren, found it so cold that he "borrowed" a bicycle to escape the hotel he was staying in 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10262801/leicesters-riyad-mahrez-once-fled-a-trial-at-st-mirren-because-of-the-cold

Is the west of central Scotland really that much colder than the Midlands of Engerlandshirehampton? I struggle to see how someone used to a warmer climate would shiver his tits off in Paisley but think Leicester was quite nice temperature-wise.

2 hours ago, nsr said:

Is the west of central Scotland really that much colder than the Midlands of Engerlandshirehampton? I struggle to see how someone used to a warmer climate would shiver his tits off in Paisley but think Leicester was quite nice temperature-wise.

At the time I think he was still with Le Havre, which being on the English Channel probably still gets pretty cold

20 hours ago, ah-dee said:
21 hours ago, TheScarf said:

flop at dundee

Tbf you could probably blame that more on the shambles of a club rather than the player.

20 hours ago, ah-dee said:
21 hours ago, TheScarf said:

flop at dundee

Shinnie was pretty decent at Dundee I thought. I was disappointed that we didn't try to retain him at the time.

His end product was lacking but he was always a spark when he played. I could see why people were skeptical of him going on to do really well but he was easily better than most wingers we had in that league and was very young.

Archived