SCR4 - St Johnstone v Hamilton Academical

cdhafc1874

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Kane isn't good enough, we knew this 5 seasons ago. Only so much persevering you can do tbh.

Agree with you Tam in terms of a starting striker, but I'm with Ali in that I'm happy we have him as an option from the bench as we're not going to have a top quality striker happy to be on the sidelines.

Don't think we're getting the best of Kennedy out wide, would like to see him back just off the striker.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gogic and 22 were pretty good, but pretty much everyone else was shockingly bad; even Kilgallon who after a couple of fantastic moments, kept on making mistakes.
Fulton, Imrie and McMann were probably the worst, and Miller's only not included because he decided to start playing football with 15 to go.
I was surprised by how poor St Johnstone were - the fact their fans were moaning at them while 2-0 up is a damning indictment of how poorly other fans perceive us.
We almost have a decent team, but the manager is a joke and we rely on magic or a set piece for goals.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:
Saints didn't need to play well imo, 45 seconds in we score, game over.

The ref's as well calling time as soon as we concede. Gained one point from losing positions this season.

Luckily for you Dundee are absolutely pish. Can see the Buddies overtaking you though.

Bit disappointed we didn't go for the jugular. Suspect if we'd even remotely tried we could have scored 4 or 5. Fact is without playing to even 50% of our capability I wasn't worried we'd concede today. It's a right good defence we have these days.

As for Hamilton. Gogic looks good and the type of player Saints could do with. Andreu is also a decent player but that defence is honking. Hard to see where the wins will come from. And no wonder the pies were running out at half time with the lad Davies around. Biggest arse I've seen in Scottish football since Killie rolled out that man giant a few seasons ago.

14 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde performance from Kane I thought. His workrate, link up play, winning headers and ability to find space in behind were all very good, but his quality/ decision making in some good situations were often poor. Interested to hear what others felt.

Totally agree with you. So much of his performance was positive but at the key moments, it just wasn't happening for him.

He hasn't played much football this season so is probably lacking a bit of sharpness but his quality in those situations has maybe always been his downfall. I can't see him getting the extended run that would maybe bring the sharpness. 

He definitely has a role in the squad for me though and was important to the performance at Dens for example. 

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

the fact their fans were moaning at them while 2-0 up is a damning indictment of how poorly other fans perceive us.

Tbf I don't think it was moaning about the team for that reason, it was sheer frustration with Chris Kane more than anything. You've no idea how often we have a breakaway with him on the ball and he chooses the wrong option.

On 1/19/2019 at 20:10, Broon_100 said:

Bit disappointed we didn't go for the jugular. Suspect if we'd even remotely tried we could have scored 4 or 5. Fact is without playing to even 50% of our capability I wasn't worried we'd concede today. It's a right good defence we have these days.

As for Hamilton. Gogic looks good and the type of player Saints could do with. Andreu is also a decent player but that defence is honking. Hard to see where the wins will come from. And no wonder the pies were running out at half time with the lad Davies around. Biggest arse I've seen in Scottish football since Killie rolled out that man giant a few seasons ago.

Sums up my feelings on the match too. We obviously had a fast start but Hamilton probably had more of the ball until we scored the second goal. We have a few other forays up the park in the first half which looked dangerous but ultimately poor decision making meant we didn't really get any decent chances, Kennedy's glancing header aside. Hamilton worked the ball into decent areas at times but I didn't really feel like we were in any danger of conceding.

Second half seemed like an exercise in game management to me. We've got a horrible run of fixtures both in terms of volume and opposition coming up and it may have been on the players' minds. I felt the players took their foot off the gas, although appreciate it may have been done to lack of games over the last few weeks. I think my biggest disappointment was the lack of minutes given to Swanson. He's a player who needs minutes on the pitch to improve his match sharpness and fitness and Kennedy was having a quiet day. It probably would've benefited both if Swanson had come on at least 15 minutes earlier than he did.

Once O'Halloran is up to speed, I'd move Kennedy back through the middle and play him on the right. Kennedy is dangerous in any of the forward positions but he's definitely played his best football through the middle for us.

Archived