Best Away Performance at your ground?

Like Gannonball says, PSG when they took five off us.  Scoreline aside, we put in a reasonable shift but PSG were phenomenal to watch that night even though it appeared they took their foot off the gas at 3-0.  If they wanted double figures that night, they would have got them.

Domestically, a few games against rangers will no doubt be there but the one that seems to stand out for me was when Hearts came from two goals down to win 3-2 around about the year 2000.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob Mahelp

Good thread.

The first game that came to mind bizarrely enough was the absolute mauling we got against Livi around 16 years or so ago. They were excellent and we were garbage, but that's the first game that came to mind.

Probably the best team I've ever seen at Pittodrie though, was the Liverpool side in 1980. They didn't hammer us....and that was a sign of things to come....but they were a brilliant side. 

3 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

Probably been done many times before, but a post on the Off the Ball thread reminded me of This Hibs drubbing of Motherwell and made we wonder what the best away performances were that you'd seen at your place?   That one definitely one of the contenders for me at Fir Park, sadly.   

Livingston beat us 5-1 at Rugby Park once which was one of the best performances I've seen.  I'm sure the OF have both had more dominant displays over us but one would've been due to cheating and both clubs make their money through exploiting bigotry so no chance am I putting one of them in.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

PSG last season when they humped us 5-0. Left that game scratching my head as didn’t even think we played that bad.

I was at that match and although it was a tonking it was less of a shock due to the personnel on display.  A more remarkable performance for me, all things considered, was RB Salzburg.

celt.jpg

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Should probably mention this;

Ian Durrant in particular delivered a dry length that afternoon.

I can't see this video because I'm at work but assuming this was our 6-0 win?

I recall Hearts giving us a 4-1 pasting at Fir Park early in the 97/98 season when they had a smashing side. Neil McCann and Colin Cameron absolutely ripped us to shreds that day.

Fake Saints hammering us 3-1 going on 6-1 in the Scottish Cup. Either 4th round or quarters replay. Liam Craig ran the show.

An Eremenko inspired Killie were a joy to watch in one of the New Years games, think it was maybe 2-0 they won. Bryson scored a penalty i'm sure.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Fake Saints hammering us 3-1 going on 6-1 in the Scottish Cup. Either 4th round or quarters replay. Liam Craig ran the show.

An Eremenko inspired Killie were a joy to watch in one of the New Years games, think it was maybe 2-0 they won. Bryson scored a penalty i'm sure.

I was thinking of doings we've had at our new ground and that Killie performance at new year was the one that came to mind. Big Mixu had them firing on all cylinders that season. 

1 hour ago, fuzzy_logic said:

This game?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199112281.html

Lindsey Hamilton was sent off, and Tommy Turner went in goals - he was hopeless! Think Hearts might have been top of the league at the time.

Tommy Turner once went in goals for us at Dens Park after Alan Combe got sent off (also notable for the big diddy fighting with the fans on the way off). We conceded immediately to go in 4-0 down at half time.

Big Yards went in goals for the second half and kept a clean sheet. There was nothing my hero couldn't do. 

4 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

Probably been done many times before, but a post on the Off the Ball thread reminded me of This Hibs drubbing of Motherwell and made we wonder what the best away performances were that you'd seen at your place?   That one definitely one of the contenders for me at Fir Park, sadly.   

Hibs were excellent that day but that really was an awful time for us with Malpas in charge. I know he's quoted in that link saying "talk about Hibs not Motherwell" but I'm absolutely sure he had an interview with some other channel/reporter after that game where he said that he wished he was sitting up in the stand watching that Hibs side instead of in the dugout. Truly inspirational from your clubs manager and not long after he had said that he wished he could have walked out early after Inverness had taken four off us at Fir Park. 

Back to the original question of the thread, we played Porto in a pre-season friendly at Fir Park around 1996. It finished 1-0 to Porto but it could have been anything they wanted as we couldn't get near them. I think they had the ball in the net almost straight from kick off only for it to be disallowed but they then scored about 60 seconds later and it counted this time. 

George Burleys Hearts side, league opener at Rugby park 2005.

Certainly not a humpin, which was what made it so impressive,

Hearts played some amazing free flowing football that day

I honestly thought they would walk the league the way they were playing.

Then they got Romanoved !

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

That was a great performance. I can't remember if Bryson scored a penalty but I do know that our second goal came from a quick freekick that almost summed up that team in one move.

8 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Big Yards went in goals for the second half and kept a clean sheet. 

No wonder. Once they'd wedged him into the goal frame there'd be no room for the ball to get past him.

We've had a few tonkings at home in recent years, a 1-5 v St Johnstone with McLean getting a hat-trick, and the infamous first half Jules/Heneghan/Chalmers defensive capitulation against Dundee come to mind. 

The latter was more surreal than anything else, I don't think you will ever see a more inept defence, the highlights must be a right giggle but I've never had the heart to watch them back. Left at half time and waited for my auld man in the pub, who for some inexplicable reason stayed to endure the second 45. 

As far as being totally outclassed, the Utd game mentioned already with Gauld, Nadz et al running riot is one of the more recent ones that comes to mind. 

Hibs were excellent that day but that really was an awful time for us with Malpas in charge. I know he's quoted in that link saying "talk about Hibs not Motherwell" but I'm absolutely sure he had an interview with some other channel/reporter after that game where he said that he wished he was sitting up in the stand watching that Hibs side instead of in the dugout. Truly inspirational from your clubs manager and not long after he had said that he wished he could have walked out early after Inverness had taken four off us at Fir Park. 
Back to the original question of the thread, we played Porto in a pre-season friendly at Fir Park around 1996. It finished 1-0 to Porto but it could have been anything they wanted as we couldn't get near them. I think they had the ball in the net almost straight from kick off only for it to be disallowed but they then scored about 60 seconds later and it counted this time. 
I don't remember that Porto game but the more I think about it, the biggest gulf in class was against West Brom' s 8-1 thumping of us in Joe Wark's testimonial. I thought teams weren't supposed to scud their hosts in testimonials!

3 hours ago, Scosha said:

Can individual performances from an away team count? Dobbie came on as a sub against us a few year ago and banged in a hat-trick in 10/15 mins to win the game. Yet to see another player have such an impact on a game against us. 

Aye, Was at that game scored the perfect hat-trick that day.

Archived