Cove Thread

21 hours ago, Moorie said:

The percentage picking Cove over Aberdeen will be very low. There is a bus that runs from cove to Pittodrie and back arranged by the club.

only hope is to attract some extra fans when Aberdeen are away. I live in Cove and never any output from the club to promote the game in the area. A small sign next to shell garage pointing you in the direction off the stadium is closest you see.

The manager of the local Coop had even been in touch with the Club to see if he could help to promote more in the area as he does a lot of work here and all he got was radio silence as per.

i spotted on twitter Arbroath promoting a family event for the Raith game next Friday. Domino pizza, unlimited juice, fifa set up, seats in the stand and pie and drink at half time. Yeah it’s £25 but includes your ticket. This what cove need to be tapping into get the future generation in instead of making sure the jobber of the oil world enjoy their sandwiches and crawl out the ex players lounge not knowing where they are and half them I doubt will know half the Cove team.

They have even giving up on the little club shop truck they had. Hasn’t been open all season. Only chance you have to get any Cove Rangers merchandise is getting it sent up from Glasgow from a local sports shop. Go to Pittodrie on a match day and the club shop has queues out the door how you going get the next fan base behind when they ain’t got a chance to get a scarf or top to get behind the team.

And that’s the depressing reality of where we are. Yeah if you want to buy a hat or a scarf it’s £5 postage to a mail order part of a sports shop. I travel down to Prestwick with work most weeks and used to nip into Greaves not just to look at the Cove ‘aisle’ but the place a actually a throwback to the halcyon days of Rosalyn Sports or Simpsons. Why stock 2 types of snooker chalk when you can have 17. This season they don’t even display the Cove stuff. OK very few folk would buy it but it used to make me feel proud we had a rail in a city centre sports shop in Glasgow, next to the Torino reserves third goalkeepers shorts section. It’s a reflection of how the novelty has worn off. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Wafer said:

Maybe coming up for a game later this season by train, what’s the easiest way to to ground from the station?

Cross over the road to where Ladbrokes is from the bus station and get the Number 3. Get off at Altens across from the Burger King and there is a sign pointing you in the right direction through the Shell garage. 

If you like walking it’s about 45 mins with a pleasant start along the river if you cut through Union Square. Get a bit hilly but I used to enjoy it with a stop at the Wellington for a pint just before the top Of the hill. 

2 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Cross over the road to where Ladbrokes is from the bus station and get the Number 3. Get off at Altens across from the Burger King and there is a sign pointing you in the right direction through the Shell garage. 

If you like walking it’s about 45 mins with a pleasant start along the river if you cut through Union Square. Get a bit hilly but I used to enjoy it with a stop at the Wellington for a pint just before the top Of the hill. 

Cheers buddy 

20 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

And that’s the depressing reality of where we are. Yeah if you want to buy a hat or a scarf it’s £5 postage to a mail order part of a sports shop. I travel down to Prestwick with work most weeks and used to nip into Greaves not just to look at the Cove ‘aisle’ but the place a actually a throwback to the halcyon days of Rosalyn Sports or Simpsons. Why stock 2 types of snooker chalk when you can have 17. This season they don’t even display the Cove stuff. OK very few folk would buy it but it used to make me feel proud we had a rail in a city centre sports shop in Glasgow, next to the Torino reserves third goalkeepers shorts section. It’s a reflection of how the novelty has worn off. 

Bringing back memories of the classic sports shops. I remember Intersport in the Bon Accord having A reduced shelf and there being Falkirk and Airdrie shirts there. Never see that again. 
my mum worked in Olympus sports world when it opened seen it through sports division to JJB. Was great getting discount on my football tops, snooker cues and trainers. 

your sports direct and JD have are just shadows of those old classic sports shops 

Temporary stands behind goals to be removed ready for 2 new permanent stands to be built in their place.

To me that looks a marked improvement.

EDIT: Supposedly there will be approximately 360 seats in the home stand 150 seats in the away stand. Stands will be built in a way to be easily extended. Will need that option if we ever go up. The away temp stand was 875 in 22/23.

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/02/27/balmoral-stadium-update/?fbclid=IwAR1VVJ3ftbgTjoH_wQVLXYFdmqaZ4_z7y0dNPEEsaFceXME78R39tswY4VI

Screenshot_20240227_181032_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_183832_Facebook.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 27/02/2024 at 18:11, CoveRangers1922 said:

Temporary stands behind goals to be removed ready for 2 new permanent stands to be built in their place.

EDIT: Supposedly there will be approximately 360 seats in the home stand 150 seats in the away stand. Stands will be built in a way to be easily extended. Will need that option if we ever go up. The away temp stand was 875 in 22/23.

https://coverangersfc.com/2024/02/27/balmoral-stadium-update/?fbclid=IwAR1VVJ3ftbgTjoH_wQVLXYFdmqaZ4_z7y0dNPEEsaFceXME78R39tswY4VI

This taking place during the close season? 

On 27/02/2024 at 18:11, CoveRangers1922 said:

Makes sense so it does!

A wonder why they never did that in the first place?Your stand at the minute looks great but its not really fit for purpose to hold a decent amount of fans.In my opinion they should have made it alot wider and provided more seats for both sets of fans.

12 hours ago, Moorie said:

This taking place during the close season? 

Supposedly the temp stands will be taken down in a couple of weeks. Back to standing, which I prefer, but will be nice to have both options again.

Hopefully the new stands will be ready for next season. 

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Makes sense so it does!

A wonder why they never did that in the first place?Your stand at the minute looks great but its not really fit for purpose to hold a decent amount of fans.In my opinion they should have made it alot wider and provided more seats for both sets of fans.

Agreed with the main stand, it's nowhere near big enough and Links Park stand puts ours to shame. Balmoral was built when we were in the Highland League obviously and it's seating was cautious in hindsight.

Same can be said with the new stands going in. Will undoubtedly look much better, I'm all for it , but 150 seat away stand is only built for here and now, L1.

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Supposedly the temp stands will be taken down in a couple of weeks. Back to standing, which I prefer, but will be nice to have both options again.

Hopefully the new stands will be ready for next season. 

Handy to know. Been good as been taking my son up. Noise in the main stand would be to much for him so been nice pick a little corner to sit and watch. 

5 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Agreed with the main stand, it's nowhere near big enough and Links Park stand puts ours to shame. Balmoral was built when we were in the Highland League obviously and it's seating was cautious in hindsight.

Same can be said with the new stands going in. Will undoubtedly look much better, I'm all for it , but 150 seat away stand is only built for here and now, L1.

I played in the AFCCT game for the stadium opener against the ex Aberdeen players. We had a tour round and on the pitch the night before. Duncan little came over and spoke to us all. He was saying there is a chance to expand the stadium in the future depending how far they go up the leagues. 
Hope you lot are looking at tarring the sand areas. Not great when you head up after a downpour for the trainers. The green mats down are ok but not when you have come off them to let someone pass 

Assistant manager Gordon Young leaves Cove. Completely unexpected and opens up speculation as what happens next? This can't of materialised overnight.

Where's Gordon off to, Motherwell coaching or found another assistant role or even a managerial gig?

Who will replace him?

Will Hartley continue at the helm beyond the end of the season?

Screenshot_20240229_190538_X.jpg

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Will Hartley continue at the helm beyond the end of the season?

Screenshot_20240229_190538_X.jpg

Doubt Hartley will leave unless we go on another really poor run of form before the end of the season. I do think it would be a good time to move on from him though

12 hours ago, covefan97 said:

Doubt Hartley will leave unless we go on another really poor run of form before the end of the season. I do think it would be a good time to move on from him though

I tend to agree.

In my opinion, we need something new, fresh and something to galvanise the club going forward. Hartley's run his course with us and it all feels like a walled garden. Does feel very stale right now and you'd need to go some distance (outside the board room) to find someone who thinks we're progressing in the right direction.

I know Barry Robson will be well out of our price bracket and although it ended badly at Aberdeen he'll likely resurface in English L1/L2 or worse case Scottish Championship but someone like him with an Andy Considine assistant would be a strategic move. Get the link between AFC and us set up, synergy in place for loans, get bums on seats, get meaningful media coverage. Would it help future investment having highly thought, and local, ex-Dons players in managerial roles, you'd like to think so.

We need to harness that link at some point.

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I tend to agree.

In my opinion, we need something new, fresh and something to galvanise the club going forward. Hartley's run his course with us and it all feels like a walled garden. Does feel very stale right now and you'd need to go some distance (outside the board room) to find someone who thinks we're progressing in the right direction.

I know Barry Robson will be well out of our price bracket and although it ended badly at Aberdeen he'll likely resurface in English L1/L2 or worse case Scottish Championship but someone like him with an Andy Considine assistant would be a strategic move. Get the link between AFC and us set up, synergy in place for loans, get bums on seats, get meaningful media coverage. Would it help future investment having highly thought, and local, ex-Dons players in managerial roles, you'd like to think so.

We need to harness that link at some point.

I agree with all of that getting a better link with Aberdeen would be beneficial. with Hartley I just don't trust him anymore unfortunately and unless we have a very good run until the end of the season that won't change. Think since he's been back we've been very poor and many of his signings haven't impressed and we'll need to rebuild the squad a bit in the summer and based on his signings this and last season just can't trust him with that.

1 hour ago, covefan97 said:

I agree with all of that getting a better link with Aberdeen would be beneficial. with Hartley I just don't trust him anymore unfortunately and unless we have a very good run until the end of the season that won't change. Think since he's been back we've been very poor and many of his signings haven't impressed and we'll need to rebuild the squad a bit in the summer and based on his signings this and last season just can't trust him with that.

Fully agree on the recruitment and rebuild viewpoint. We seen it at his time with Falkirk and it replicated itself. He was ok adding the odd player, with good wages, to an established squad but there was always concerns over his ability to rebuild.

Looking back at our summer recruitment you've got to feel that the budget was restrained, perhaps more than we all think, and that's Hartley's only saving grace for me BUT regardless it was a complete and utter mess. Signing 20; many of them were never near the quality required but he signed them regardless, some went "missing", some benched that shouldn't have been, some played that shouldn't have (McGowan), some loaned out when shouldn't have been.

If Hartley, Young or one of our players doesn't know the prospective player then god help us as scouting talent isn't his strong point. Just chaos.

It's not just that window, January was disastrous and the blame lies at his door for the relegation. We took in David Bangala, Gimie Toure, Tony Weston and worse still Jason Naismith and played him nearly every game. Declan Glass was his only strong recruit, first signing of his return and he starved him of any game time until the last game of the season when he lit it up against Morton.

If I was Cobban/Milne I wouldn't be giving him the keys to the warchest either based off the past year.

3.5 year deal sounded outrageuous at the time, now more so. Don't think I can cope with another summer window like the one that just past.

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's not just that window, January was disastrous and the blame lies at his door for the relegation. We took in David Bangala, Gimie Toure, Tony Weston and worse still Jason Naismith and played him nearly every game. Declan Glass was his only strong recruit, first signing of his return and he starved him of any game time until the last game of the season when he lit it up against Morton.

Unfortunately for every good signing Hartley gets us like a Burrell we'll end up with some dross like Bangala, Weston, Naismith, toure..... Not expecting us to have perfect recruitment but needs to be a lot better. Definitely his fault for the relegation were sitting decently in 8th and he let a terrible Arbroath and Accies team catch up with us and overtake us. Got beaten by 3+ goals far too often under Hartley conceded goals for fun and couldn't score. After Hartley came in Mitch's form has been much poorer unfortunately and it seems to have knocked a lot of confidence out of him.

Edited by covefan97

It’s amazing how the consensus from so many fans is very similar. I’m still of the opinion that our players got us promoted up the leagues rather than the standard of management. I’m also of the opinion that those around the manager are dead wood. The negativity that envelopes all of them is intense. I was right behind the Brora dugout a few weeks ago and it was night and day. Some of the drivel coming out of ‘experienced coaches’ mouths was disturbing. I guess we thank Gordon Young but look forward to a younger progressive coach coming in said with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

The prerequisite of a coach should be to improve the players, not as hired protection from the manager against a group of OAP’s who go home and away.