Cove Thread

On 15/05/2023 at 19:21, CoveRangers1922 said:

Squad update:

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/05/15/crfc-squad-update/

Players under contract for season 2023/24 (10)

* Age of player at start of season. Imperative that new recruits are young...

Scott Fox (36)

Fraser Fyvie (30)

Shay Logan (35)

Mitch Megginson (31)

Jason Naismith (30)

Morgyn Neill (26)

Mark Reynolds (36)

Connor Scully (30)

Iain Vigurs (35)

Blair Yule (31)

Players out of contract who have been offered new deals (2)

Balint Demus

Luis Longstaff

Players out of contract who will be leaving the club (7)

Cieran Dunne

Kyle Gourlay

Robbie Leitch

Leighton McIntosh

Scott Ross

Gime Toure

Miko Virtanen

Loan players returning to their parent clubs (6)

David Bangala

Declan Glass

Jackson Longridge

Michael O’Halloran

Brody Paterson

Tony Weston

So for me only Reynolds and Fyvie were given and have accepted new contracts. No details as to how long they extended for. 

Dunne, Ross and Leighton I would have kept (maybe). None exceptional for L1 but we need to be confident to find better. Realistically we need to find better to mount a serious title challenge. 

Fox, Naismith I hope never play for us. Vigurs I suspect will be loaned out or used very sparingly

Rumours circulating that our 10 under contract players might fall further, not just by 1 or 2, but maybe several more than that. Looks like Hartley is wanting the oldies out the door and only keep the minimum number of PT players whilst he plans on ramping up recruitment of players on FT contracts.

On the latter, not a single sole in yet or contract extension announced by the club. Plenty of time but if we do need to bring in 15 or so to take us to 21 then he's got 3 weeks before pre-season training and a month before friendlies.

Our better PT players, like Mitch, Scully and Yule all have very good jobs which I would be astounded If they left when they are all 31 approaching 32 next year. They must question what is best for them. Is that staying at Cove for 1 more year or leaving now albeit they are under contract. I would hazard a guess that Strachan and Brown are in dialogue with these 3. It's the only club I see them going to due to locality.

Fyvie is probably the only PT player on our under contract list that I see accepting a FT contract. It would be a big boost for us if that happened 

All central belt based in contract players I feel will go. Vigurs, Shay and Reynolds I wouldn't expect to see at Balmoral for this upcoming season either

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 24/05/2023 at 19:32, CoveRangers1922 said:

Rumours circulating that our 10 under contract players might fall further, not just by 1 or 2, but maybe several more than that. Looks like Hartley is wanting the oldies out the door and only keep the minimum number of PT players whilst he plans on ramping up recruitment of players on FT contracts.

On the latter, not a single sole in yet or contract extension announced by the club. Plenty of time but if we do need to bring in 15 or so to take us to 21 then he's got 3 weeks before pre-season training and a month before friendlies.

Our better PT players, like Mitch, Scully and Yule all have very good jobs which I would be astounded If they left when they are all 31 approaching 32 next year. They must question what is best for them. Is that staying at Cove for 1 more year or leaving now albeit they are under contract. I would hazard a guess that Strachan and Brown are in dialogue with these 3. It's the only club I see them going to due to locality.

Fyvie is probably the only PT player on our under contract list that I see accepting a FT contract. It would be a big boost for us if that happened 

All central belt based in contract players I feel will go. Vigurs, Shay and Reynolds I wouldn't expect to see at Balmoral for this upcoming season either

Heard from good source that Scully said he wouldn’t go full time same as Yule. Can see them holding onto Scully one more season with it being his testimonial season. Saying that didn’t happen with Mackenzie.

Do see one more season for these guys then off too Peterhead as you say. 

On 25/05/2023 at 10:53, 1320Lichtie said:

I’d take a punt on Megginson 

I wonder if Yule would go back down to you guys but from what I heard he didn’t enjoy the travelling down for training after work 

11 hours ago, Moorie said:

I wonder if Yule would go back down to you guys but from what I heard he didn’t enjoy the travelling down for training after work 

Nah doubt it it seemed hard work tbf. Was down in Perth and Dundee area during the day then back up to office in Aberdeen then back down the road at night. He was good tbf but wouldn’t be in a rush to get him back

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nah doubt it it seemed hard work tbf. Was down in Perth and Dundee area during the day then back up to office in Aberdeen then back down the road at night. He was good tbf but wouldn’t be in a rush to get him back

Blair has been outstanding for us and will be a massive asset for us in L1. Can't overstate how much we missed him in the second half of the season just finished. Undoubtedly one of our fittest and most energetic players. 

He, Scully and Mitch will stay local for me if/when they leave Cove. Fair play if that's not case. Such a strong contingent at Peterhead now and although L2 it would be a draw and almost their only option. I reckon they will benefit further from our decision to go PT and will have a strong chance to bounce back.

Morgyn Neill I feel will move back down nearer home in L1. Someone will get able, physically strong, CB for that level (now our level again).

Fox and Naismith it'll be anyone daft enough to take them. Someone will. 

Vigurs will be Draper's first signing (loan or permanent) imo.

Logan and Reynolds even at 35 both capable in L1. Whether they stay or get shown the door who knows. 

Almost June and although we have 10 under contract I think half of them will be away very soon.

Club are looking for a FT physio and kit manager even. It's clear, to me at least, anyone who is part time and doesn't want to be full time can go without much resistance.

On 24/05/2023 at 19:32, CoveRangers1922 said:

Interesting to see what happens here, feels like the first big summer of change at Cove for a long time. I did think that Peterhead could be the real winners of Cove going full-time. If nothing else, signing Cove’s part-time players is a much more sensible recruitment policy than whatever they were up to this season!

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Interesting to see what happens here, feels like the first big summer of change at Cove for a long time. I did think that Peterhead could be the real winners of Cove going full-time. If nothing else, signing Cove’s part-time players is a much more sensible recruitment policy than whatever they were up to this season!

Peterhead should/will benefit. Even a 31 year Mitch/Blair/Scully would be good additions for them for a season or two you'd think. Strachan/Brown definitely had them more competitive than Robertson. A young manager with fresh ideas and positivity can clearly work as you know very well.

Big changes for us. I hope it's all going to be positive and the risks are therefore worthwhile. Definitely intriguing as a Cove fan. 

41 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Peterhead should/will benefit. Even a 31 year Mitch/Blair/Scully would be good additions for them for a season or two you'd think. Strachan/Brown definitely had them more competitive than Robertson. A young manager with fresh ideas and positivity can clearly work as you know very well.

Big changes for us. I hope it's all going to be positive and the risks are therefore worthwhile. Definitely intriguing as a Cove fan. 

The three of them should definitely consider coming to Peterhead now. They know the Strachan/Brown combo and McKenzie & Ross have already made the move.

There are two or three years deals being dished out so a chance to finish their careers. If Cove start splashing out on full time players they could find game time limited so be as well to jump now.

We have been desperately short of strikers and we missed out on Hester so a Megginson/Shanks striking duo would be a huge bonus for us.

1 hour ago, blueone said:

The three of them should definitely consider coming to Peterhead now. They know the Strachan/Brown combo and McKenzie & Ross have already made the move.

There are two or three years deals being dished out so a chance to finish their careers. If Cove start splashing out on full time players they could find game time limited so be as well to jump now.

We have been desperately short of strikers and we missed out on Hester so a Megginson/Shanks striking duo would be a huge bonus for us.

I think all might have 2 years left on their contracts but I'd guess that could be void in some capacity next year as we will be full time only.

I agree they should consider their options. It would be a massive blow to us to lose any of them let alone all of them! All would be difficult to replace.

Peterhead looking quite strong defensively already with Jason Brown, Scott Ross and Strachan. I actually really like the Peterhead appointment of Strachan and Brown and think they'll recruit well. Look like trust has been placed in them and finances are available for the right players 

9 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Blair has been outstanding for us and will be a massive asset for us in L1. Can't overstate how much we missed him in the second half of the season just finished. Undoubtedly one of our fittest and most energetic players. 

He, Scully and Mitch will stay local for me if/when they leave Cove. Fair play if that's not case. Such a strong contingent at Peterhead now and although L2 it would be a draw and almost their only option. I reckon they will benefit further from our decision to go PT and will have a strong chance to bounce back.

Morgyn Neill I feel will move back down nearer home in L1. Someone will get able, physically strong, CB for that level (now our level again).

Fox and Naismith it'll be anyone daft enough to take them. Someone will. 

Vigurs will be Draper's first signing (loan or permanent) imo.

Logan and Reynolds even at 35 both capable in L1. Whether they stay or get shown the door who knows. 

Almost June and although we have 10 under contract I think half of them will be away very soon.

Club are looking for a FT physio and kit manager even. It's clear, to me at least, anyone who is part time and doesn't want to be full time can go without much resistance.

Was listening to the Terrace podcast the other day were speaking about teams being hybrid can’t remember who it was. Spoke about how they wondered how the full time players felt about training then going back to at night to train with the part time players. Do you think that Cove will be trying force out the part time boys sooner or later? 
also seeing the kit man is off. Seems going be big changes going forward on and off the pitch. Interested what your take is on it? Seems like a lot of the original characters round the club will be no more.

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

Surely a fight between, Peterhead and Montrose for the cast off part time players. Brechin missing out in returning to the league may have been a blessing for these guys as more less team fighting for these guys with 

2 hours ago, Moorie said:

Was listening to the Terrace podcast the other day were speaking about teams being hybrid can’t remember who it was. Spoke about how they wondered how the full time players felt about training then going back to at night to train with the part time players. Do you think that Cove will be trying force out the part time boys sooner or later? 
also seeing the kit man is off. Seems going be big changes going forward on and off the pitch. Interested what your take is on it? Seems like a lot of the original characters round the club will be no more.

Surely a fight between, Peterhead and Montrose for the cast off part time players. Brechin missing out in returning to the league may have been a blessing for these guys as more less team fighting for these guys with 

I think the club's emphasis will be three fold; let go the aging part timers claiming a likely high wage, ruthlessly keep only the desired local PT players and to fill the squad with full time players capable of not just getting out of L1 but to be effective in the Championship. Latter is a big challenge on many fronts.

Definitely will be trying to trim the PT players. Be shocked if a few didn't go in the next couple of weeks. Whether we'd let the 'bigger' names go now I'm not sure, I wouldn't as it's asking for trouble, but if you know your time is up in 12 months anyway then you naturally start looking at your options and players have a degree of power.

If the decision is FT in 2024/25 then we need to commit to that, the ball is seemingly in motion with the backroom staff but all quiet on players inbound. Imperative both on and off field is given full focus. New era, hopefully positive as it's brave.

On 19/05/2023 at 10:05, CALDERON said:

I think it's mental, to be honest. Cove have a core home support in the hundreds, a tiny stadium that is an absolute pain to get to, and are completely dependent on whoever is pumping the money in to continue doing so.  The last point I guess isn't hugely different from some other sides, but the novelty surrounding Cove will wear off from the Aberdeen public at some point- especially if Aberdeen become decent again.

That and they have an absolutely horrid manager who seems to have a decent amount of influence there.

Being the lowest ranked or smallest full time side can hinder every bit as much as it can help - saw that with Raith Rovers under Barry Smith before he took the huff, you can end up with the dregs nobody else wants and miss out on very capable players for that level who want to retain the flexibility of part time football.

I'd actually go even further. With Airdrie going up and Arbroath staying up. Cove are behind both of those teams in the way of decent part time players and full time loaned players. It's a bit if a strange move for a club with a support in 3 figures. 

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think the club's emphasis will be three fold; let go the aging part timers claiming a likely high wage, ruthlessly keep only the desired local PT players and to fill the squad with full time players capable of not just getting out of L1 but to be effective in the Championship. Latter is a big challenge on many fronts.

Definitely will be trying to trim the PT players. Be shocked if a few didn't go in the next couple of weeks. Whether we'd let the 'bigger' names go now I'm not sure, I wouldn't as it's asking for trouble, but if you know your time is up in 12 months anyway then you naturally start looking at your options and players have a degree of power.

If the decision is FT in 2024/25 then we need to commit to that, the ball is seemingly in motion with the backroom staff but all quiet on players inbound. Imperative both on and off field is given full focus. New era, hopefully positive as it's brave.

So for your full time players you are competing with Falkirk and championship teams. Unless a player lives local then you'll pick up the utter dross that can't get a game elsewhere. 

7 hours ago, foreverarover said:

So for your full time players you are competing with Falkirk and championship teams. Unless a player lives local then you'll pick up the utter dross that can't get a game elsewhere. 

Yeah agree that is the worry/likelihood. We'll naturally try to secure as many North East and surrounding based players as possible and compliment that with some central belt, upcoming talent and hopefully hidden gems from elsewhere. Challenge will be to find said players as we'll be fishing in the same ponds as others you mentioned. Further Challenge is Hartley's got the rod

54 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I feel like this is just all because Hartley wants to be a full time manager with a FT group of players.

Does no Cove fan think that? 

The timing of it makes it seem that way. Weren't willing to give McIntyre the keys to the war chest when it would have made more sense to go hybrid.

We've announced our intention and now need to stick with it for the foreseeable and try and make it work. 

I'm intrigued to hear if the strategic plans for off field development and very intrigued to see our summer signings. Bottom of the barrel FT isn't an improvement on the best/better PT players and the club will know that 

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

The timing of it makes it seem that way. Weren't willing to give McIntyre the keys to the war chest when it would have made more sense to go hybrid.

We've announced our intention and now need to stick with it for the foreseeable and try and make it work. 

I'm intrigued to hear if the strategic plans for off field development and very intrigued to see our summer signings. Bottom of the barrel FT isn't an improved in the best/better PT and the club will know that 

How much influence has he got there.

Find it mental he was able to just walk right back into the club after leaving when McIntyre was doing a perfectly reasonable job. 

Feel like it’s him that’s pushing it and there are people trusting him with this. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How much influence has he got there.

Find it mental he was able to just walk right back into the club after leaving when McIntyre was doing a perfectly reasonable job. 

Feel like it’s him that’s pushing it and there are people trusting him with this. 

A lot it seems! Now he needs to deliver.

12 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah. Feel for the local P/T boys who don’t fancy full time football. If opportunity comes to move now they would be silly not to take it as a lot change in football in a year. If they do go some part time team are getting a could few players if they all end up at the same club