Cove Thread

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

This is a bit crazy after what I was told just yesterday afternoon. I really do think it’ll now be us or yourselves. Note it mentions how he is working further down south now and is struggling travelling up back north after work… 

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This is a bit crazy after what I was told just yesterday afternoon. I really do think it’ll now be us or yourselves. Note it mentions how he is working further down south now and is struggling travelling up back north after work… 

You boys train in Perth? He's living in Montrose now I believe, could be wrong. Not much in commuting times between Perth or Cove. Supposedly we tried to get him last summer so we've expressed a past interest but that will maybe count for little.

If it's between us both then it will come down to whether he wants to play as high as he can or wages.

I don't feel we should break the bank for him. Tendency to give give long term contracts though. Likely to be decided soon I would imagine 

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

Naismith and Fox really that bad now?

the former was absolutely quality for county not so long ago , was was also a reliable keeper at top flight level but that’s a good few years ago now.

How’s vigurs doing? Thought his legs would go and be an issue far before those other 2

Naismith is beyond useless. Reminds me of Draper in that he's immobile and positionally very poor.

Fox i'm being a little harsh on but his distribution is terrible, he barely talks to his defence and looks tiny in the goal. I'd rather we have kept McKenzie than sign a name.

Vigurs has 1 year left. Composed on the ball as you know, can stil pick a pass but off the ball he's like a man down. So slow he can't get close to his man. Hope Elgin give the managerial gig to Draper and he will take him on loan for the season.

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Naismith is beyond useless. Reminds me of Draper in that he's immobile and positionally very poor.

Fox i'm being a little harsh on but his distribution is terrible, he barely talks to his defence and looks tiny in the goal. I'd rather we have kept McKenzie than sign a name.

Vigurs has 1 year left. Composed on the ball as you know, can stil pick a pass but off the ball he's like a man down. So slow he can't get close to his man. Hope Elgin give the managerial gig to Draper and he will take him on loan for the season.

Very interesting regarding Naismith he must’ve taken a steep decline as when he left us it was like he was taking a step up rather than not being good enough.

Vigurs sounds the exact same as his last season with us, such a shame as what a cracking player he used to be

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

You boys train in Perth? He's living in Montrose now I believe, could be wrong. Not much in commuting times between Perth or Cove. Supposedly we tried to get him last summer so we've expressed a past interest but that will maybe count for little.

If it's between us both then it will come down to whether he wants to play as high as he can or wages.

I don't feel we should break the bank for him. Tendency to give give long term contracts though. Likely to be decided soon I would imagine 

Yeah stays in Montrose but think he works down in the Fife / Tayside area now so already travels south for work. So commuting after work was the issue. 

8 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

Someone I could see ending up at Cove is Shane Sutherland, if he's able to get back to fitness. Read in the Inverness Courier and over on the ICT thread that his contract is up at the end of this season and hasn't been renewed yet. We apparently tried to sign him at Raith a few seasons ago but the deal didn't go through. If I remember rightly, geography was a factor - or it could just be that he ultimately had a much better deal lined up at ICT 😉 

Incidentally, the team I follow in Japan - Iwaki FC - have followed a very similar trajectory as Cove, climbing rapidly through the leagues before hitting a bit of a brick wall in the second division this season (they got thumped 9-1 at the weekend...), so I do sympathise. All the best for next season.

Shane is exactly the type of player we and Mitch needed this season. He struggled with travel down to Peterhead in the past so I don't see him joining us unfortunately.

Felt this season was going to be transitional for us, we didn't overly commit or take an risks (maybe rightly) and it clearly all fell apart after Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah stays in Montrose but think he works down in the Fife / Tayside area now so already travels south for work. So commuting after work was the issue. 

Suspect he's more likely to join Arbroath if Dick can sweet talk him into giving him almost guaranteed game time. He won't want to be a bit part player. The reason he left you in the first place i'm assuming.

Been with you before, playing a league up than us now and will be able to offer good wages.

8 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Suspect he's more likely to join Arbroath if Dick can sweet talk him into giving him almost guaranteed game time. He won't want to be a bit part player. The reason he left you in the first place i'm assuming.

Been with you before, playing a league up than us now and will be able to offer good wages.

I’m really not too sure what to think of it to be honest but it’s been 5 years since he was last here and going off numbers alone and the fact he’s played and scored regularly since he left us on paper he’s one of the best part time strikers you could get. I think him being here before, when he was perfectly ok but was not the answer to being our main man at that time, is clouding my judgement a wee bit. I think it’s a 3 horse race between us, yourselves and Montrose. He’s a Montrose laddie so that also might appeal a lot to him too who knows.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Might come down to who can afford whatever Elgin ask for him?

9 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Might come down to who can afford whatever Elgin ask for him?

True. Be interesting to know what that figure will be. Arbroath have got money in the bank but they won't go wild or burst it for him as being a Championship side they could attract other strikers who are more proven at this level. I've always rated Kane's ability since his time playing against us. We have money to spend too but doubt he will end up at Balmoral now.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would like to see us offer Shanks on loan to you for a season as part of the deal. 

That's a wise and prudent bargaining chip. Gives Elgin some cash and a goal scorer.

We'd give Draper his old mate Vigurs. Not quite the same like for like!

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I would like to see us offer Shanks on loan to you for a season as part of the deal. 

That's a really good shout to be fair,Shanks would be a good addition to Elgin plus some cash.

I'd love to see him in a Montrose shirt but wouldn't be overly disappointed if we missed out.Noticed James Craigen and John Robertson had left Edinburgh City would take a punt on both.

5 hours ago, mo83 said:

That's a really good shout to be fair,Shanks would be a good addition to Elgin plus some cash.

I'd love to see him in a Montrose shirt but wouldn't be overly disappointed if we missed out.Noticed James Craigen and John Robertson had left Edinburgh City would take a punt on both.

I think Craigen would suit Montrose well. Solid player who can fill in all over. Think Robertson would be looking for a move up, although his end to the season was pretty poor.

Squad update:

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/05/15/crfc-squad-update/

Players under contract for season 2023/24 (10)

* Age of player at start of season. Imperative that new recruits are young...

Scott Fox (36)

Fraser Fyvie (30)

Shay Logan (35)

Mitch Megginson (31)

Jason Naismith (30)

Morgyn Neill (26)

Mark Reynolds (36)

Connor Scully (30)

Iain Vigurs (35)

Blair Yule (31)

Players out of contract who have been offered new deals (2)

Balint Demus

Luis Longstaff

Players out of contract who will be leaving the club (7)

Cieran Dunne

Kyle Gourlay

Robbie Leitch

Leighton McIntosh

Scott Ross

Gime Toure

Miko Virtanen

Loan players returning to their parent clubs (6)

David Bangala

Declan Glass

Jackson Longridge

Michael O’Halloran

Brody Paterson

Tony Weston

So for me only Reynolds and Fyvie were given and have accepted new contracts. No details as to how long they extended for. 

Dunne, Ross and Leighton I would have kept (maybe). None exceptional for L1 but we need to be confident to find better. Realistically we need to find better to mount a serious title challenge. 

Fox, Naismith I hope never play for us. Vigurs I suspect will be loaned out or used very sparingly

7 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Squad update:

Scott Fox

Fraser Fyvie

Shay Logan

Mitch Megginson

Jason Naismith

Morgyn Neill

Mark Reynolds

Connor Scully

Iain Vigurs

Blair Yule

Players out of contract who have been offered new deals (2)

Balint Demus

Luis Longstaff

Players out of contract who will be leaving the club (7)

Cieran Dunne

Kyle Gourlay

Robbie Leitch

Leighton McIntosh

Scott Ross

Gime Toure

Miko Virtanen

Loan players returning to their parent clubs (6)

David Bangala

Declan Glass

Jackson Longridge

Michael O’Halloran

Brody Paterson

Tony Weston

So for me only Reynolds and Fyvie were given and have accepted new contracts. No details as to how long they extended for. 

Dunne, Ross and Leighton I would have kept. None exceptional for L1 but we need to be confident to find better.

Suspect Leighton has left as we might have someone else coming in to partner Mitch and he doesn't want to be 3rd choice. Very interested in he'll go to Mo with Rory or rejoin another former club in Peterhead. Lives in Dundee so I would expect the former

Dunne will find somewhere closer to central belt. Doubt he will find a Championship club.

Ross will likely team up with Strachan at Peterhead, just a hunch but would be very surprised to see otherwise.

@peternapper, @mo83 - be surprised if one or two on the leaving club list won't be coming your way

On 10/05/2023 at 21:58, CoveRangers1922 said:

Ex-Cove loanee John Robertson also moving on to pastures new. Sure he must have either a club lined up already or options he thinks are significantly better than FC Edinburgh. Stock is high

I suspect he’ll get a Championship club no bother. Given the lack of decent strikers at that level, I’m sure most teams would happily offer a young, energetic forward with a good record at a lower level a deal.

22 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Squad update:

* Age of player at start of season. Imperative that new recruits are young...

Scott Fox (36)

Fraser Fyvie (31)

Shay Logan (36)

Mitch Megginson (30)

Jason Naismith (30)

Morgyn Neill (26)

Mark Reynolds (35)

Connor Scully (30)

Iain Vigurs (34)

Blair Yule (30)

Only one player out of ten signed players under the age of 30 is wild, especially when half of them have been signed by Hartley and the one ‘young’ player is Morgyn Neill. It’s a solid group of players to build from but a big job this summer to inject some pace and excitement into that team. 

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I suspect he’ll get a Championship club no bother. Given the lack of decent strikers at that level, I’m sure most teams would happily offer a young, energetic forward with a good record at a lower level a deal.

Only one player out of ten signed players under the age of 30 is wild, especially when half of them have been signed by Hartley and the one ‘young’ player is Morgyn Neill. It’s a solid group of players to build from but a big job this summer to inject some pace and excitement into that team. 

Fully agree about Robbo. He'll have a few offers in the Championship. He needs a certain type of player to play alongside at that level I feel as although is strong, he is short and the Championship centre backs are brutes! Hartley never played him when he was a young lad at Cove on loan so didn't expect him back with us.

Hartley's last interview was a promise of young, energetic, leaders willing to fight. Hopefully he sticks to that as although a solid base above we need an injection of youth, pace and creativity.

Good luck this week, smash it like last week and what a summer and 23/24 season to look forward to. Still 2 ties to go but strong chance.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

suspect he’ll get a Championship club no bother. Given the lack of decent strikers at that level, I’m sure most teams would happily offer a young, energetic forward with a good record at a lower level a deal.

I would certainly take him at the rovers he’s the striker we need because I doubt Gallagher will leave Airdrie so he’s probably next best who’s out of contract