Cove Thread

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Good luck David Bangala 

Cheers, might be needed. Bit clearer why we signed another CM given Fyvie's season is now over due to injury. Yule also has an injury.

My expectations aren't that high for Bangala. Saying that a fair bit about our signings so far this season. Anything better than average and I'll be surprised. 

We need some strengthening in key areas as you will noticed

Still looking to bring in a striker and a centre back. Happy to hear this as both very much required. Quicker the better with only just over 2 weeks left in the window.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-hartley-appreciates-gordon-strachans-29176976

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Hopefully he gets back to playing.

Hopefully he does. Turns 30 next month and has had his fair share of severe injuries. Barely featured for us this season which was disappointing after a strong season in L1 where he banged about 14 goals in 39 games.

He's made his money with Wigan, Hibs, Dundee United and the Dons to a lesser extent given his age at the time. Certainly seems motivated to get back to playing but will be interesting to see how that pans out and at what level he will get game time at. His contract with us ends in the summer. I do think we'll give him an extension but if we don't I don't know what his next move would be. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

• 2 weeks later...

Accies flying high after looking dead and buried around Christmas. A couple of very astute signings in Tumility, Conor Smith and the lad Stephenson has chipped in too.

Me looking at the fixture list looking at where our next points come from in order to try and desperately hang onto 8th.

BiodegradableRevolvingBadger-size_restricted.gif

11 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Accies flying high after looking dead and buried around Christmas. A couple of very astute signings in Tumility, Conor Smith and the lad Stephenson has chipped in too.

Me looking at the fixture list looking at where our next points come from in order to try and desperately hang onto 8th.

BiodegradableRevolvingBadger-size_restricted.gif

If you want depressing, @roverthemoon came up with this on our thread:

If you continue the form in the last six through the rest of the season then the table would end up roughly like this:

Queens Park 59

Dundee 58

Partick Thistle 54 

Ayr Utd 53

Raith Rovers 52 

Morton 51

Hamilton Accies 48

Inverness CT 43

Arbroath 37

Cove Rangers 35

Cove down and Arbroath in the play off.  We’d be well safe but finish just outside the promotion play offs. If we’re going to get 4th then suggest we still need to improve in the run-in, turning draws into wins. Still all to play for though. 

On 22/02/2023 at 21:23, TxRover said:

If you want depressing, @roverthemoon came up with this on our thread:

If you continue the form in the last six through the rest of the season then the table would end up roughly like this:

Queens Park 59

Dundee 58

Partick Thistle 54 

Ayr Utd 53

Raith Rovers 52 

Morton 51

Hamilton Accies 48

Inverness CT 43

Arbroath 37

Cove Rangers 35

Cove down and Arbroath in the play off.  We’d be well safe but finish just outside the promotion play offs. If we’re going to get 4th then suggest we still need to improve in the run-in, turning draws into wins. Still all to play for though. 

I'm going to put my head in the sand and pretend I've not seen that!

We taken 5 points from our last 6 and I think that's our worst run of the season so far therefore would love to say that prediction is false for us but we are weaker now than what we were from September to December. We'll need to dig out results and even if we do and manage to get 8th it will go to the wire.

Our next 5 games are tough with 4 being away. Need to stay in contention.

Supposedly 50/50 if we are now getting a striker in before the window closes. Hartley missed out on a few players of late and he's put that down to being part time. I suspect he was interested in Euan Henderson, Chris Maguire and George Oakley even.

Accies on fire but will they keep up 13 points out of every 5 games. Likely a purple patch but even half those number of points per game will give them an incredibly strong chance of 8th.

Rovers pulled themselves back into contention for the playoffs with a long unbeaten run. Win tonight would boost the chances even further. We'll then try and stop Morton gaining more traction.

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

How's Bangala been?

It hate to say it but fairly poor in my opinion. Doubt he'll feature much, if at all, for you before he leaves for pastures new. In fairness he's playing alongside Miko Virtanen who looks worse so isn't getting much help.

I was going to wait until the end of the window and write an analysis on each of new signings. Was thinking what to write for Bangala, both strengths and weaknesses and couldn't think of a strength. He's runs about which is as much as I can say for him as a strength but little productivity or ability on the ball.

We badly miss Blair Yule and Fraser Fyvie in the centre of midfield. We've even resorted to playing Vigurs now and I suspect Miko (or  Bangala) will be dropped from tomorrow onwards 

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It hate to say it but fairly poor in my opinion. Doubt he'll feature much, if at all, for you before he leaves for pastures new. In fairness he's playing alongside Miko Virtanen who looks worse so isn't getting much help.

I was going to wait until the end of the window and write an analysis on each of new signings. Was thinking what to write for Bangala, both strengths and weaknesses and couldn't think of a strength. He's runs about which is as much as I can say for him as a strength but little productivity or ability on the ball.

Yeah that sounds like Bangala. He has been pretty poor for us as well. I was hoping some game time would help him but maybe he just isn't good enough. 

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We badly miss Blair Yule and Fraser Fyvie in the centre of midfield. We've even resorted to playing Vigurs now and I suspect Miko (or  Bangala) will be dropped from tomorrow onwards 

Sounds suspiciously like someone replaced Bangala with @P and B Official Hamster

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Michael O'Halloran joins us on loan from St Johnstone. Really happy with this one as I've always highly rated him.

@RandomGuy. Thoughts? Know he was out of favour at St Johnstone this time around but surely can do us a job

Very interested to see how he gets on. One of many who just didnt fit into the system the manager wanted to play so became an outcast. Had a few goes at wing back where he was okay but caught out defensively, and a few goes up front but only so many times a ball over the top would work and he wasnt great dropping in to link play.

Should be a great signing at this level if you play him as a winger but dont know how the lack of game time will affect him. He usually takes a few games to get going for us.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youve signed Michael O'Halloran on loan.

Very interested to see how he gets on. One of many who just didnt fit into the system the manager wanted to play so became an outcast.

Should be a great signing at this level but dont know how the lack of game time will affect him. He usually takes a few games to get going for us.

Been tracking him since the season begun and he wasn't getting game time. Hoped we go for him so glad he's ours for the remainder of the season.

He's a right footed winger. We have an abundance of wingers now and still lacking a target man centre forward. Surely O'Halloran isn't the striker that Hartley said in the press today he was looking to bring in before the window closes. We have 1 loan left

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Been tracking him since the season begun and he wasn't getting game time. Hoped we go for him so glad he's ours for the remainder of the season.

He's a right footed winger. We have an abundance of wingers now and still lacking a target man centre forward. Surely O'Halloran isn't the striker that Hartley said in the press today he was looking to bring in before the window closes. We have 1 loan left

Hes played up front for us a lot in our 3-5-2 shape, but struggles really.

Hes pure pace so youll get odd games with him up front where he just rips teams apart by getting in behind (he was regularly brilliant v Rangers doing this) but deeper defences he struggles with as he isnt great at linking play by dropping deep. Play him on either wing and you should get a lot out of him, his best spell was on the right for us and he was still effective there recently.

Enjoy MOH as Randomguy says he can play a number of positions attacking wingback emphasis on attacking, Striker but hid best positions are No 10 or winger either side better on right. He still has a few years left in the tank it was Saints wingerless formation 5.3.2 that forced him out of the team.

Taken me ages to find this and i doubt anyone cares here, but MOH also has arguably one of the best St Johnstone photos ive ever seen.

1462889410_post-424-14459995228844_thumb(1).jpg.87ff27fd09fd86493605d7b89477829e.jpg.38807e73878cb5580cc253556585e728.jpg

Destroyed Morton that night single handedly.