Cove Thread

What a difference a few weeks makes and some decent recruitment. 

Jack Sanders looks an unreal addition. Big, strong and bags of pace. Kyle McClelland, very composed on the ball distributes it well. Max Johnston looks very promising defensively and going forward. Shay switched to LB and doing a fine job.

Gilmour is a huge upgrade on Iain Vigurs as DCM. Covers the ground well, strong in the challenge, got height and speed.

Connor and Blair at CM are proper box to box players and will run and tackle all day.

Those 7 are guaranteed starters for me, full of pace, strength and energy 

We look a very different to the team who started the season. Optimism and confidence returning 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see Max Johnston got another 90 mins. How's he been getting on for you?

Max has excelled since arriving. Looks a class act at this level. Strong in the challenge, good in the air and gets up and down the flank with ease. 

Done so well he's made RB his own and we're playing Shay at LB

7 minutes ago, Girth said:

Great win yesterday chaps. However, sorry we didn’t end McIntyre for you. 

Cheers. For us, a win against the team coming down from the Premiership, under the lights and with a couple of top draw goals was pretty sweet.

I'd still swap Hartley for McIntyre any day of the week but our squad looks stronger, younger, more energetic now with some quality loans in key positions. That level of performance should make us competitive with most. A bit of optimism but got to carry it through.

You lads will get back to a winning streak and will be challenging right near the top.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's Charlie Gilmour like? Media saying we are about to offer him a PCA.

Charlie has been excellent for us in all fairness. He looks very capable at Championship level. Whether he could step up and perform/excel at SPL level, which is clearly Dundee's aim for this season, is debatable. Didn't grab his chance at St Johnstone but a year older and more games under his belt will be beneficial.

He's got some height, covers the ground well and is composed on the ball for a DCM. Isn't a goal threat and doesn't offer much creativity given the nature of his role.

Would be a big loss for us. A lot of our last minute loans; Gilmour, Sanders, Johnston, McClelland have improved our squad. Was hoping they would all honour their season long loans. Had hoped if he was released we might be able to offer him a deal but FT football at a bigger club would make it a hard ask for us.

Heard Max Johnston was linked to Luton.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

The New Year transfer window is almost here. I read in the P&J today that McIntyre is looking to strengthen if the right players are available and that a lot will depend on how many of the 5 season long loans we manage to keep a hold of. Hopefully all of them except Towler who is surplus to requirements and should be returned to the Dons. He needs time to develop in L1 before making the next step. Him and Hancock from Aberdeen (on loan at Arbroath) have underwhelmed it's safe to say.

I like our back four of Logan-Sanders-McClleland-Johnston and although we definitely need more clean sheets I wouldn't be opposed to keeping that backline.

For me our priority should be a left winger and a striker.

There's rumour of Charlie Gilmour signing a PCA with Dundee. Doesn't necessarily mean he would go in January. Would definitely be a big loss for us but it would mean that Scully could partner Yule in his favoured central midfield position rather than him being stuck out wide left.

We can't have Fyvie playing there; square peg in a round hole. Would love to see Ryan Duncan join us on loan. TOP talent in my opinion and will have a very bright future. He's a left footed right winger like Longstaff but could do a job for us on the left side.

Clearly we need another striker but so does everyone else and the competition will be fierce for Premiership fringe players like Euan Henderson, Innes Cameron, Oli Shaw, Eammon Brophy. The 5 sub rule is definitely limiting the number of quality fringe players coming out on loan.

Since Thistle stole Harry from us, they could do us a turn and loan us Mullen. Wouldn't be the worse shout. They can keep Cam Smith though.

Outbound, either loan or permanent, has got to be any one or more of the following;

Morgyn Neill - would keep him but McIntyre clearly doesn't want him

Iain Vigurs - Elgin

Robbie Leitch - loan before he moves on at end of contract

Cieran Dunne - loan 

A few that I will keep an eye on are;

Peter Pawlett, AM/RW/LW, (Dundee United) - Grew up in Aberdeen, family still here

Michael O'Halloran, RW, (St Johnstone)

Max Kucheriavyi , CM, (St Johnstone)

Archie Meekison, CM, (Dundee United)

Connor Smith, CM, (Hearts)

Jack Milne, CB, (Aberdeen)

Alfie Bavidge, FW, (Aberdeen) - might go to L2 as only 16

Russell McLean, FW, (Peterhead) - not one for us but think he might move on

Article in the P&J today:

It is a hallmark of Keith Moorhouse’s time at Cove Rangers they are never totally satisfied with where they are at. More can always be achieved.

They got to the Championship three years into a five-year plan drawn up by Moorhouse when Cove entered the SPFL in 2019.

With the launch of a new book commemorating Cove’s centenary, it has provided Moorhouse with the chance to reflect on his 25-year association with the club, which he followed as a child with his father Cliff.

They have grown beyond the boundaries of being a Highland League club and, with that, Moorhouse wants to put in place the structure which ensures Cove’s time at this level is not a fleeting one.

“There has to be more chapters to be written as the club has to be future-proof,” he said. “We’ve got to this level through the efforts of the players, management team, board and sponsors.

“But to sustain that and kick on again, we’ve got to have a stronger foundation – that doesn’t mean we’ve got a weak foundation, it’s just not wide or deep enough.

“What does that mean? Different people coming in, different skill-sets, different thoughts. But they’re all aligned by the fact they want to win.”

“I don’t want us to be a yo-yo club,” added Moorhouse. “Other clubs have done that – you look at them and think: ‘what would we do different?’

"We’ve got to challenge ourselves to make the right call. We don’t always make the right call and I’ll hold my hands up to that.

“But we’re always reviewing where we’re at. We’re searching to be better all the time, we have to be.”

Cove is littered with figures who have had a long association with the club.

As well as Moorhouse, secretary Duncan Little, vice-chairman Graham Reid and director of football John Sheran have all been key parts of the journey from midweek trips to Fort William to facing Hibernian at Easter Road.

So what keeps them coming back?

“Winning – it’s all about winning,” said Moorhouse. “There’s no point coming up here if you’re not going to win.

“It’s also about the people who are part of the club. It’s about them being part of the success. That’s what drives me.

“At times I do think we’ve come such a long way in a short time, which is a good and a bad thing. You can experience the feelings of success and promotions, but you don’t have the time to get everything right.

"There’s things we still need to do as a club, behind-the-scenes, to improve our infrastructure and what goes on, on a day-to-day basis.

“We’ll make it happen. We thought we’d have five years to do it, but we did it in three.

“That’s what most of my time is being spent on now, how we strengthen off the park, what we need to do at the end of next season and beyond that.”

17 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Alfie Bavidge, FW, (Aberdeen) - might go to L2 as only 16

Russell McLean, FW, (Peterhead) - not one for us but think he might move on

Would be delighted if we could get Alfie on loan.

Can't see Rusty going anywhere in January as he's now our one and only striker.

Looking to add a striker or two and at least score some goals.

2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Article in the P&J today:

It is a hallmark of Keith Moorhouse’s time at Cove Rangers they are never totally satisfied with where they are at. More can always be achieved.

They got to the Championship three years into a five-year plan drawn up by Moorhouse when Cove entered the SPFL in 2019.

With the launch of a new book commemorating Cove’s centenary, it has provided Moorhouse with the chance to reflect on his 25-year association with the club, which he followed as a child with his father Cliff.

They have grown beyond the boundaries of being a Highland League club and, with that, Moorhouse wants to put in place the structure which ensures Cove’s time at this level is not a fleeting one.

“There has to be more chapters to be written as the club has to be future-proof,” he said. “We’ve got to this level through the efforts of the players, management team, board and sponsors.

“But to sustain that and kick on again, we’ve got to have a stronger foundation – that doesn’t mean we’ve got a weak foundation, it’s just not wide or deep enough.

“What does that mean? Different people coming in, different skill-sets, different thoughts. But they’re all aligned by the fact they want to win.”

“I don’t want us to be a yo-yo club,” added Moorhouse. “Other clubs have done that – you look at them and think: ‘what would we do different?’

"We’ve got to challenge ourselves to make the right call. We don’t always make the right call and I’ll hold my hands up to that.

“But we’re always reviewing where we’re at. We’re searching to be better all the time, we have to be.”

Cove is littered with figures who have had a long association with the club.

As well as Moorhouse, secretary Duncan Little, vice-chairman Graham Reid and director of football John Sheran have all been key parts of the journey from midweek trips to Fort William to facing Hibernian at Easter Road.

So what keeps them coming back?

“Winning – it’s all about winning,” said Moorhouse. “There’s no point coming up here if you’re not going to win.

“It’s also about the people who are part of the club. It’s about them being part of the success. That’s what drives me.

“At times I do think we’ve come such a long way in a short time, which is a good and a bad thing. You can experience the feelings of success and promotions, but you don’t have the time to get everything right.

"There’s things we still need to do as a club, behind-the-scenes, to improve our infrastructure and what goes on, on a day-to-day basis.

“We’ll make it happen. We thought we’d have five years to do it, but we did it in three.

“That’s what most of my time is being spent on now, how we strengthen off the park, what we need to do at the end of next season and beyond that.”

Interesting read. It's been a meteoric rise in 3 years but I'm satisfied that the chairman is talking positively about sustaining and improving our standing in the game both on and off the field. I know it's what every chairman will say and actions are much louder than words.

I suspect we'll transition to hybrid. It's the direction the club and chairman want to go and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened next year. 

There's clearly going to be a massive focus on the non-playing side as he mentions. It's required as we need to grow our fan base, do more in the community and improve the stadium and facilities as best as we can.

5 minutes ago, blueone said:

I suspect that if Alfie comes out he'll go to Peterhead. I can imagine Davie Robertson has enquired about him and others already. If we return Evan Towler and you are in the market for a LB he could be a candidate.

I heard Ola's contract was amicably terminated. Rusty's feet were itchy in the summer but surely the club won't let him leave in January as you say. Where he goes next would interest me. A few other L1 clubs have shown interest as of late.

If we take in a striker or left winger I think we should allow Leighton or Masson to go out on loan. Could be candidates for you.

29 minutes ago, blueone said:

Rusty the big Donkey!He will be loving it picking up a wage for nowt!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 11:15, CoveRangers1922 said:

Interesting read. It's been a meteoric rise in 3 years but I'm satisfied that the chairman is talking positively about sustaining and improving our standing in the game both on and off the field. I know it's what every chairman will say and actions are much louder than words.

I suspect we'll transition to hybrid. It's the direction the club and chairman want to go and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened next year. 

There's clearly going to be a massive focus on the non-playing side as he mentions. It's required as we need to grow our fan base, do more in the community and improve the stadium and facilities as best as we can.

I’d love the club to do more in the community. I know the manager of local coop has been in touch with the club to see if they could help to promote more in the area. 
i have mentioned previously on the fans group on Facebook it would be good if they promoted more with in the local schools (3 in the cove area) certain amount of tickets for free to help promote the club. I know the guys have full time jobs as well as the football but even having some the players make an appearances in the local Schools especially Scully who is a local loon. Living lovely and knowing a coupe the players it would great see them be promoted more locally