Cove Thread

24 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He is, it has to be said, an extremely limited footballer on the ball. He just doesn’t ever seem to be fully in control of it when he’s running with the ball, and his range of passing is, as you say, not extensive. Off it, he’ll run and tackle all day long, and he actually did quite well playing centre half so for us for a bit, so he has some versatility and the discipline to do it - although I’d still say you shouldn’t really play him there unless it’s an emergency. But aye, you’ll desperately need creativity elsewhere if he’s in your midfield because he simply won’t provide it. Fyvie might be the ideal partner for him to be honest. 

He seems like a genuinely great guy off the pitch so I really hope it works out for him with you guys and, for a guy at 23 years old, he has a decent amount of League One level experience already. I don’t think he has potential to be much more than a bottom end Championship/top end League One player to be honest, but I suppose that’s probably exactly where Cove are looking to be for the next few years at least. 

Completely agree about his attributes. He's got strengths and we'll aim to play to those. He will be deployed in front of the defence and his job will be to win everything aerially, tackle everything that moves, rough up the opposition and when he wins it back play the simple ball to Fyvie, Yule, Scully, or whoever else we take in midfield. Agree that Fyvie should be a good partner for him. Yule is very underrated by many and was a massive miss for us last season.

For League 1 he's about as good as we could get without splashing huge money. There is a noticeable jump from L1 to mid-top of the Championship so IF we get back up to that level at some point in the future we'd need better.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We've signed Charlie Gilmour - what's he like?

Just posted in the Caley thread. I really rated Gilmour as did all Cove fans.

He can definitely play, and excel, at Championship level. Got all the attributes to succeed as a DCM. Good age too so I rate that signing for Caley

1 hour ago, Bay Citizen said:

Edinburgh have just signed Robbie Leitch, any thoughts on him?

Was wondering where Robbie would end up, thought It would likely another L1 club but my bet was he'd join his brother at Stirling Albion. 

Robbie started to show signs of promise with game time in the pre-season and league cup group stages last season for us. He's undoubtedly got ability and wants to be direct. Will chip in with some goals as does know where the net is. I never found out his best position; he's not a true winger and not an out and out striker either. He's probably best deployed wide cutting inside. Like many in this position he can go missing for large periods of games. With game time he might find the elusive consistency.

Should do ok for you. This is his level I feel. Someone should be able to get better out of Robbie than what's he's shown so far.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Luis Longstaff turns down our FT offer and heads back down south. No club announced yet but I expect he'll surfaced in EL2.

Looking strong in central midfield with Fyvie, Yule, Sena and Scully. Sena should offer protection and I think we'll see a resurgent Fyvie and the best of out Blair too.

Up top, Mitch, Burrell and backup in Connell should be fine. Expect a loan striker towards the end of the window.

Our next few signings will undoubtedly be wingers or wing backs.

21 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Luis Longstaff turns down our FT offer and heads back down south. No club announced yet but I expect he'll surfaced in EL2.

Looking strong in central midfield with Fyvie, Yule, Sena and Scully. Sena should offer protection and I think we'll see a resurgent Fyvie and the best of out Blair too.

Up top, Mitch, Burrell and backup in Connell should be fine. Expect a loan striker towards the end of the window.

Our next few signings will undoubtedly be wingers or wing backs.

You say wingers hopefully you take Zannata of our hands.

2 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

You say wingers hopefully you take Zannata of our hands.

Oooooft hope not. Although in L1 he could grab a few goals and cause trouble but from what I've seen of him he rarely turns it on and is a wasted jersey for the majority of the games.

I'm hoping we can throw some money at Pawlett, who even at 32, and being injury prone would light up L1 if he stays fit. Cammy Smith, although wasted out wide, would be an alternative. Both roots in Aberdeen. If we didn't get relegated I think McLennan would have joined us and could have been a strong signing. 

It's getting close to trialist time, which we haven't really experienced at Cove. It worries me as it's never very fruitful. Plenty of time left for signings and loans.

You lads have added a fair few and McGlynn just added today 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Oooooft hope not. Although in L1 he could grab a few goals and cause trouble but from what I've seen of him he rarely turns it on and is a wasted jersey for the majority of the games.

I'm hoping we can throw some money at Pawlett, who even at 32, and being injury prone would light up L1 if he stays fit. Cammy Smith, although wasted out wide, would be an alternative. Both roots in Aberdeen. If we didn't get relegated I think McLennan would have joined us and could have been a strong signing. 

It's getting close to trialist time, which we haven't really experienced at Cove. It worries me as it's never very fruitful. Plenty of time left for signings and loans.

Yeah I think you summed up Zannata quite well. A lot of fans turned on him quite quickly I actually was OK with him but his lack of effort against Airdrie was the final straw for me. I have a feeling he will end up at Cove though exactly a sort of guy I would expect Hartley to sign.

At Balmoral and Cove have about 7 trialists. Identified former Aberdeen Youth , Mark Gallagher, who was previously at Formartine. Also current Aberdeen youngster Mikosz Ochmanski

Couple of photos to come for someone to help me identify who they are.

IMG_20230628_191146.jpg

IMG_20230628_190742.jpg

IMG_20230628_191246.jpg

IMG_20230628_191410.jpg

IMG_20230628_191523.jpg

IMG_20230628_192240.jpg

On 27/06/2023 at 13:02, CoveRangers1922 said:

Trialist’s are hit or miss. Remember the days of Aberdeen rolling them out every pre season in the past never to be seen again. 
Most friendlies played I’ve seen so far has a mixture of trial players. Do you think maybe finding it hard attracting the players they want at full time level? 

11 hours ago, Moorie said:

Trialist’s are hit or miss. Remember the days of Aberdeen rolling them out every pre season in the past never to be seen again. 
Most friendlies played I’ve seen so far has a mixture of trial players. Do you think maybe finding it hard attracting the players they want at full time level? 

Ended 1-1 with a plethora of changes through the game for us at least. Played the last 25 minutes with 10 men. 

Standout, Balint Demus (and Fyvie and Burrell). Want to see him play in the future friendlies, in fact just give him the number 1 shirt now. Tall, commanding, spreads himself big, comes for cross balls. Hartley - don't play a name in Fox when you have a talent waiting in the wings.

Only seeing a brief snapshot of the trialists, however, only Mark Gallagher, ex-County and Aberdeen and maybe young left back Milo Ochmanski would be worth another look. The rest didn't look close to the level required for L1 and may as well pack their bags now.

Gallagher would be a squad player at best as undoubtedly central midfield is our strongest position with Blair, Fyvie, Scully and Sena all standouts at this level. 

Milo (LB), at only 17, impressed in what was probably his first senior game. Still so young though. Surely we need to be going after Kieran Ngwenya from Aberdeen on a season long loan. He'll not get a sniff with the Dons and would undoubtedly be a strong signing for L1. Hoping Cove are tapping up Aberdeen on this one. Surely we haven't let Aberdeen give Evan Towler to Montrose, without a fight or without us having someone better lined up for that position.

Burrell looks a real threat. He looks Championship quality, and coup of signing, and alongside Mitch (who didn't feature) will be a deadly duo. Best player on the park. Caused Dunfermline's defence all sorts of problems.

New season but the same old lumbering centre back that is Naismith. Looks like a competition winner out there. Don't think I can bare seeing him playing this season. Luckily Gillingham looked tidy at centre half and heard really good things about Darge so Naismith will be warming the bench.

Fyvie looked class. He and Blair will be a great partnership.

Severely missing a right back given Logan's gone AWOL and left us. The number 2 (RB) trialist looked mince.  Needs to be top priority along with some natural wingers.

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Ended 1-1 with a plethora of changes through the game for us at least. Played the last 25 minutes with 10 men. 

Standout, Balint Demus (and Fyvie and Burrell). Want to see him play in the future friendlies, in fact just give him the number 1 shirt now. Tall, commanding, spreads himself big, comes for cross balls. Hartley - don't play a name in Fox when you have a talent waiting in the wings.

Only seeing a brief snapshot of the trialists, however, only Mark Gallagher, ex-County and Aberdeen and maybe young left back Milo Ochmanski would be worth another look. The rest didn't look close to the level required for L1 and may as well pack their bags now.

Gallagher would be a squad player at best as undoubtedly central midfield is our strongest position with Blair, Fyvie, Scully and Sena all standouts at this level. 

Milo (LB), at only 17, impressed in what was probably his first senior game. Still so young though. Surely we need to be going after Kieran Ngwenya from Aberdeen on a season long loan. He'll not get a sniff with the Dons and would undoubtedly be a strong signing for L1. Hoping Cove are tapping up Aberdeen on this one. Surely we haven't let Aberdeen give Evan Towler to Montrose, without a fight or without us having someone better lined up for that position.

Burrell looks a real threat. He looks Championship quality, and coup of signing, and alongside Mitch (who didn't feature) will be a deadly duo. Best player on the park. Caused Dunfermline's defence all sorts of problems.

New season but the same old lumbering centre back that is Naismith. Looks like a competition winner out there. Don't think I can bare seeing him playing this season. Luckily Gillingham looked tidy at centre half and heard really good things about Darge so Naismith will be warming the bench.

Fyvie looked class. He and Blair will be a great partnership.

Severely missing a right back given Logan's gone AWOL and left us. The number 2 (RB) trialist looked mince.  Needs to be top priority along with some natural wingers.

Dont get your hopes up for Burrell, he'll go missing more often than not

Burrell was a strange one for us.

Only managed 3 goals in 14 starts but got 6 goals from 16 sub appearances. Overall a pretty good return at 1 per 152mins. Suspect he will thrive playing for a team where the opposition aren't camped on the edge of their own box for most of the match. 

Surprised that no one has snapped up Cieran Dunne yet. Thought he did ok in the Championship.

Rapid, good ball carrier and very good endurance/stamina. Definitely can stretch a game. Only 23 so time to develop.

Downsides are his finishing is sadly woeful and his delivery is hit or miss. Could be improved upon with the right manager/training.

Decent winger for many L1 clubs, this is his level right now. In my opinion a better option than Leitch who has left us and gone to Edinburgh City.

2 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Fox joining us as goalkeeping coach.

I heard a rumour he was going to Queen's Park but almost laughed it off as he's nowhere near the standard you are recruiting. Above makes more sense.

Naismith will be our only PT player from central belt. He's got to be leaving us imminently I think. No way is he travelling up here 2 nights a week and every 2nd weekend on his tod to warm our bench. Absolutely horrific, can't believe he's just turned 29 too. 

22 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I heard a rumour he was going to Queen's Park but almost laughed it off as he's nowhere near the standard you are recruiting. Above makes more sense.

Naismith will be our only PT player from central belt. He's got to be leaving us imminently I think. No way is he travelling up here 2 nights a week and every 2nd weekend on his tod to warm our bench. Absolutely horrific, can't believe he's just turned 29 too. 

I hope McGlynn's not tempted then because we sorely need a RB. Naismith looked a cracking prospect when at Ross County but it all seems to have turned to shit for him!

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I hope McGlynn's not tempted then because we sorely need a RB. Naismith looked a cracking prospect when at Ross County but it all seems to have turned to shit for him!

I hope for your sake Falkirk don't look anywhere near him. He's Ross Draper level of catastrophe.

I would sometimes say it's because he was in a poorly performing team or mismanagement or say he could do better at a future club but Naismith can barely jog let alone run. He's finished.