Cove Thread

3 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I think we saw both sides of Hartley in his one spell at Falkirk.

He was appointed after we sacked Houston at the end of September 2017 following a poor start. We limped along to the January window and Hartley shipped out around 12 players and signed 8 (though mainly on loan). Guys like Tommy Robson, Reghan Tumilty, Sean Welsh, Loius Longridge, Alex Jakubiak & Andrew Nelson with virtually all of them hitting the ground running.

These players along with the guys we already had like Aaron Muirhead, Jordan McGhee, Craig Sibbald etc combined to create a cracking side. I think we took more points from the start of January onwards than everyone else other than champions St Mirren, and that was only by a point. We played some great football, battering teams including a 6-1 win against Dundee United which should have been 10 

Naturally we all thought the following season promised much. However most of Hartley's January signings moved on and he also got rid of the remnants of Houston's squad. Hartley then spent the summer signing utter dross from the lower leagues in England. We lost our opening 3 games with every single one of the 15 he had signed looking absolutely terrible (this banter recruitment listed below), and he was promptly sacked at the end of August 2018. 

Hide contents

Screenshot2023-09-14at11_28_02.thumb.png.5b67c9c933633a6a3bb0a401c62989ae.png

All in all it was a pretty mental 11 months. 

The only players even remotely decent from those were Irving, Brough and Petra. Petra's best trick was running full pelt at defenders, maybe even beating a couple, then he would turn around and run just as fast in the opposite direction. Was a good laugh that.

Aye I think it would be fair to class those 3 as ok. Still, to go from getting 8/8 right to just 3/15 is a quite incredible drop in recruitment success rate. I believe much of that was down to the new chief scout Richard Mitchell, it's no coincidence his LinkedIn jumps straight over that summer period (from Ross County in June 2018 to Dundee Oct 2018) and is no longer involved in football

Still, the buck ultimately stops with the manager and it looked briefly like he'd learned from those mistakes at Cove before reverting to type at Hartlepool and is now doing the same thing again in his 2nd Cove spell

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

On 14/09/2023 at 08:33, BB_Bino said:

Very true, but looking at the players he was able to bring in at Alloa and then Cove at the time, he must have been financially very very well backed by the clubs. This wasn't a guy that achieved promotions by recruiting well and building a club or recruiting well and punching above their weight. He's damaged goods (more than once) and we are to believe that he is a very divisive character off the field, I can't for a minute imagine that when a vacancy comes up at a club with a more modest budget, or at somewhere where the Manager is expected to wheel and deal and punch above their weight, that Hartley would be top of the boards wanted list.

To be fair to Hartley that's not accurate regarding Alloa. He certainly did have a very good part-time budget (for the fourth tier in particular) but it wasn't a case of him throwing cash at people and having a squad miles better than everyone else. He recruited very well indeed, bringing in some very good young players who had been released by ft clubs (who came I believe more because of Hartley's reputation and how he sold the project rather than huge wages) , but also pt players who hadn't exactly been stand outs elsewhere and who came on massively under Hartley, as well as some who had looked done but were great at Alloa. The team played some fantastic football and while we probably expected to win the fourth tier in his first season, it was a terrific achievement to then go up again the following year. He then tweaked the style slightly in the Championship and had us fourth at the turn of the year in a very tough league - which was absolutely overachieving. He bailed out when he knew he couldn't go higher, but even then the team he left stayed at that level for 3 years and beat Rangers, Hibs, Dundee Utd, drew with Aberdeen. As such, he very much built a great team with shrewd recruitment and players very clearly bought into what he was doing. His reign was crucial in Alloa being a top pt side for years after he'd moved on. 

He also had Dundee going very well until losing key players (that he had signed) and struggled to replace them. At one point at Dens he seemed to have the tools to go on and be a huge success as a manager (didn't he turn down Cardiff?). Fans of clubs he managed since will have a better idea of how exactly things have gone wrong but judging his time at Alloa through the prism of subsequent struggles elsewhere doesn't provide an accurate picture. He was very, very good. 

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

To be fair to Hartley that's not accurate regarding Alloa. He certainly did have a very good part-time budget (for the fourth tier in particular) but it wasn't a case of him throwing cash at people and having a squad miles better than everyone else. He recruited very well indeed, bringing in some very good young players who had been released by ft clubs (who came I believe more because of Hartley's reputation and how he sold the project rather than huge wages) , but also pt players who hadn't exactly been stand outs elsewhere and who came on massively under Hartley, as well as some who had looked done but were great at Alloa. The team played some fantastic football and while we probably expected to win the fourth tier in his first season, it was a terrific achievement to then go up again the following year. He then tweaked the style slightly in the Championship and had us fourth at the turn of the year in a very tough league - which was absolutely overachieving. He bailed out when he knew he couldn't go higher, but even then the team he left stayed at that level for 3 years and beat Rangers, Hibs, Dundee Utd, drew with Aberdeen. As such, he very much built a great team with shrewd recruitment and players very clearly bought into what he was doing. His reign was crucial in Alloa being a top pt side for years after he'd moved on. 

He also had Dundee going very well until losing key players (that he had signed) and struggled to replace them. At one point at Dens he seemed to have the tools to go on and be a huge success as a manager (didn't he turn down Cardiff?). Fans of clubs he managed since will have a better idea of how exactly things have gone wrong but judging his time at Alloa through the prism of subsequent struggles elsewhere doesn't provide an accurate picture. He was very, very good. 

His rebuild job at Alloa did seem impressive. Can't believe it was 12 years ago he cut his managerial teeth at the Wasps.

Whether the game has moved on and he hasn't or he is being wrongly advised on recruitment or there are some other contributing factors, regardless he's going through a very sticky patch. It's never plain sailing as a manager clearly and it naturally comes with many ups and downs.

Who knows he might turn it around but he's gone AWOL lately not just with signings but with man management too.

In fairness to him, first stint in England was going to be tricky, not fully knowing the league, the standard and the players. Coming back to us when he did in January and with our best loans leaving and a notoriously tough window to recruit in was also going to be an uphill struggle. He failed his remit both times and quite spectacularly.

I can't defend his summer spree though either.

Blair and moreso Fyvie should keep him employed for now as I fully expect they will transform us enough to get us climbing a few spots in the league. Would be respite.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

59 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

His rebuild job at Alloa did seem very impressive. Can't believe it was 12 years ago he cut his managerial teeth at the Wasps.

Whether the game has moved on and he hasn't or he is being wrongly advised on recruitment or there are some other contributing factors, regardless he's going through a very sticky patch. It's never plain sailing as a manager clearly and it naturally comes with many ups and downs.

Quite possibly something there in that his time at Alloa was almost all ups, two and half years of success. The players bought into it and all was well. It's obviously a very different task when things aren't going well. 

I was a little shocked by just how poor Cove were at the Recs. That said, with so many new faces it's not unnatural that it would take time to settle. It is early but the standard of the league has looked very poor so far too and after Falkirk and Hamilton I'm not sure there is much else. As such, even if Cove aren't as good as hoped the play-offs should still be very attainable. 

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

@CoveRangers1922 was listening to the AVFTT podcast at work today. Thursday lower league one. They were speaking about cove Montrose game and the carry on at Cove. Telfer rattling of your quotes and facts from here. He did say one cove fan knows his stuff 

I was listening to that episode by Craig and Shaughan during the week. Always listen into the terrace podcasts; top quality analysis of the lower leagues. Both those guys are active on P&B.

They spoke about Cove a few weeks back also when we played Falkirk at Balmoral. 

Gave me a shout out then which is pretty cool. 

Pie and Bovril is interconnected. Got me on Draw, Lose, Draw (Thistle podcast) and Only the Lonely (Airdrie podcast) both towards the end of the L1 campaigns when we were challenging for the title. 

Also got to do a little bit of backfill opposition scouting through contacts I met on here and other bits and pieces.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was listening to that episode by Craig and Shaughan during the week. Always listen into the terrace podcasts; top quality analysis of the lower leagues. Both those guys are active on P&B.

They spoke about Cove a few weeks back also when we played Falkirk at Balmoral. 

Gave me a shout out then which is pretty cool. 

Pie and Bovril is interconnected. Got me on Draw, Lose, Draw (Thistle podcast) and Only the Lonely (Airdrie podcast) both towards the end of the L1 campaigns when we were challenging for the title. 

Also got to do a little bit of backfill opposition scouting through contacts I met on here and other bits and pieces.

Yeah big fan of the podcast. Even forked out for the Patreon. Been listening to park the bus podcast also as been down a good few times to Banks of Dee this season as the loon showing an interest in football over the summer got me more into reading the non league section on here.

Balmoral tomorrow for him. Last at the Falkirk game. Wanting to get his photo with Blair. 

10 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Yeah big fan of the podcast. Even forked out for the Patreon. Been listening to park the bus podcast also as been down a good few times to Banks of Dee this season as the loon showing an interest in football over the summer got me more into reading the non league section on here.

Balmoral tomorrow for him. Last at the Falkirk game. Wanting to get his photo with Blair. 

Never heard of park the bus podcast but just found it on Spotify so might give it a listen. I'm going to Spain Park at the end of the month to watch them play Brechin. A Wednesday night game, think 27th.

Nice one, tomorrow should be a free flowing, open and attacking game. 

• 3 weeks later...

Temporary stands behind the goals reduced in size given our relegation to League One. Were rented and largely empty so will cut some costs. Supposedly this was arranged to be done prior to the start of the season.

Home stand will be reduced from 900 to 500 and away stand reduced from 900 to 250. Photo below shows how the away stand now looks ahead of Annan on Saturday.

Still 1100 seats across the 3 stands and clearly now more standing capacity for both home and away supporters.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/10/03/new-look-for-balmoral-stadium/

Screenshot_2023-10-03-11-12-52-65_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Temporary stands behind the goals reduced in size given our relegation to League One. Were rented and largely empty so will cut some costs. Supposedly this was arranged to be done prior to the start of the season.

Home stand will be reduced from 900 to 500 and away stand reduced from 900 to 250. Photo below shows how the away stand now looks ahead of Annan on Saturday.

Still 1100 seats across the 3 stands and clearly now more standing capacity for both home and away supporters.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/10/03/new-look-for-balmoral-stadium/

Screenshot_2023-10-03-11-12-52-65_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Just got mine and the loons ticket for Saturday. I’m taking the greyed out seats are the removed ones.

I wonder if the young ultra group will move away from the seats now. All for them but the drum banging 90mins right next to can get a bit tiring after a while  

37 minutes ago, Moorie said:

Just got mine and the loons ticket for Saturday. I’m taking the greyed out seats are the removed ones.

I wonder if the young ultra group will move away from the seats now. All for them but the drum banging 90mins right next to can get a bit tiring after a while  

Think so yeah although I haven't sat in the temporary stands yet as prefer to stand somewhere near the halfway line. I only hear the distant echo of that drum.

When the youngsters started singing something about Hartley recently that didn't include get him out they lost me as a fan! They bring a bit of atmosphere and the odd decent song which I definitely welcome as it can be eerily quiet.

1 minute ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

That's a bit shite considering we took around 600 up earlier in the season. The view was ok but don't think I'd fancy standing at pitch level, especially if it's pishing down

Definitely affects only Falkirk who travel in big numbers especially in comparison to anyone else in the league. 

The rent on the stands must have been costing a considerable amount for the club to make that decision. It's the correct decision as our attendances for both home and away fans are way less than last season.

Hopefully they are reducing costs to offset punting Hartley but maybe wishful thinking on my part.

9 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Definitely affects only Falkirk who travel in big numbers especially in comparison to anyone else in the league. 

The rent on the stands must have been costing a considerable amount for the club to make that decision. It's the correct decision as our attendances for both home and away fans are way less than last season.

Hopefully they are reducing costs to offset punting Hartley but maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Fair enough. Think when we had temporary stands along our 4th side in the SPL days we had to fill them 3 times a season to break even, which is why they aren't viable/ needed at TFS for this level either. 

Also if it speeds up the sacking of Hartley then I'm all for it 

13 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Fair enough. Think when we had temporary stands along our 4th side in the SPL days we had to fill them 3 times a season to break even, which is why they aren't viable/ needed at TFS for this level either. 

Also if it speeds up the sacking of Hartley then I'm all for it 

I’d rather he wasn’t sacked not until after 2nd December anyway.

7 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Think so yeah although I haven't sat in the temporary stands yet as prefer to stand somewhere near the halfway line. I only hear the distant echo of that drum.

When the youngsters started singing something about Hartley recently that didn't include get him out they lost me as a fan! They bring a bit of atmosphere and the odd decent song which I definitely welcome as it can be eerily quiet.

We use to sit in the main stand prior but need to book well in advance to get a seat in there. My Dad has bad knees and a stick so the option to stand isn’t one for him. 

Yeah great to see the lads with there flags and singing. One them lives behind us so local lads from lochside. They must 3rd years so round about 13/14 years old 

7 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

That's a bit shite considering we took around 600 up earlier in the season. The view was ok but don't think I'd fancy standing at pitch level, especially if it's pishing down

Always thought it looked daft without terracing. Rows of people standing pitch side. Much prefer to be elevated up. 

• 2 weeks later...