The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, FifeArab said:

Just seen a wee highlight of Omega v Osprey, looked amazing.

Just finished watching it, outstanding match. They surely have to have the trilogy match at all in and the crowd should be crazy for it. 

Omega vs Ospreay would've been better without the Don Callis shite. Between the security guards & Callis getting punted to the back then returning consequence free plus the screwdriver spot. Still a banger of a match but below the Wrestle Kingdom match for me personally. Hopefully the crossface didn't cause a diplomatic incident.

Danielson vs Okada is a bit hard to judge because of Danielson wrestling a good chunk of the match injured. Final Countdown like it's 2005 was cool.

Sting vs Jericho was lackluster to say the least. All this hype of Jericho vs Sting in the ring together for the first time & the result was a match that felt like something from a house show or smaller venue tour show.

Storm vs Nightingale was middle of the road, not a fan of the ending.

Ten man was my second favourite of the night.

SANADA vs Perry didn't feel like an IWGP title match in the slightest. Feels like it was mostly used to set up Perry turning on Hook & squeeze the IWGP champion in somewhere on the card. Match probably wasn't helped by SANADA being less a household name to someone with more of a casual/passing interest in NJPW.

The four way was fine enough.

Kojima vs Punk was good with Punk fully leaning into the heel stuff namely the Hogan leg drop & using the Mongolian chops of Kojima's tag partner Tenzan. Kojima is one of the best wrestlers over 50.

Tanahashi's body is kinna fucked to say the least. Match was more psychology over in-ring action with the classic lovable babyface vs big bad heel. Tana really needs some time off.

Edited by GNU_Linux

I love Sting and he's in remarkably good nick for his age, but you could tell from a mile away that he wasn't going to hit those tables properly. He should be kept in cotton wool for the few big matches he still has in him, not nearly crippling himself on random episodes of Dynamite.

They've gone from treating Sting exactly how you should with someone like him to seemingly trying to kill him.  I really doubt they're making him do anything he doesn't want to do, but you don't exactly need to look very far to show exactly what can happen when you take someone like him for granted.  Rollins almost stopped him ever wrestling again with a completely innocuous spot, and at this stage you could ruin what is a totally deserved send-off for the guy, all for a random episode of Dynamite.

I assume it was a picture-in-picture thing, but what the f**k was up with that Sammy spot with his fucking cue cards.  It was cute when he was announcing his wee girl on the way, but fucking hell that was awkward as he went through his 400 cards to essentially say "Aye, ah like fightin' Darby soahdo, we've also got a game out".

I'm sure we've heard Moxley say something along the lines of the BCC vs The Elite coming to an end a million times before.  Blood and Guts will likely be great fun to watch, but how often have we had various combinations of these guys put together in big stipulation matches?  Do you really have nothing else for them to do?

Not sold on Jack Perry at all after that.  Not convincing at all as a heel.

Sting is definitely the one pushing those sort of spots Imo. He definitely needs someone to reign him in a little otherwise he won't actually get a proper retirement match. It seems logical to me for him to go out putting Darby over? 

The bounce Sammy got from tays pregnancy has already been wasted. 

I think the problem with the elite and bcc fued was forbidden door. They had to prolong it due to having omega facing Ospreay there. I'd imagine the end goal was always blood and guts with that fued. I did quite enjoy the match between the elite and dark order. 

Jack perry is overrated as f**k and always has been Imo. I skip past 90% of his matches now. 

AEW now at almost 75K sold for All In.

You can see why WWE are now openly discussing a potential UK Wrestlemania. Two nights at a sold out Wembley would do ludicrous business for them, even without the financial incentives they normally expect for running big overseas shows.

19 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

You can see why WWE are now openly discussing a potential UK Wrestlemania. Two nights at a sold out Wembley would do ludicrous business for them, even without the financial incentives they normally expect for running big overseas shows.

The two WM, Raw and Smackdown at the o2. NXT Takeover(s).

42 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

They even have the option of having one night at Wembley and the other in the US. The roster is big enough and if they have the US one on the East Coast then they could fly some surprises over before/after the Wembley show.

If Tony Khan had listeners at the O2 Academy tonight he'll have jizzed his pants.

Someone during audience questions asked Taker which active wrestler from any company he'd want to wrestle if he wasn't retired - his answer was MJF

Taker would come out of retirement for anyone if Vince told him to. 

MJF is one of the best things in wrestling that's not someone Taker has already wrestled.

Taker would never, even for a blank cheque with only his demands written on it, come out of retirement for Tony Khan's AEW.

It's not a shocking answer except for the fact he could have played it safe and gave a current WWE talent a bit of a rub.

MJF deserves all the plaudits he gets. He will be the man and it'll be interesting to see the battle the next time his contract is up as it's clear WWE are fans. MJF is gonna be a very, very rich man by wrestling terms.

I think that was the best episode of Collision so far. A few cracking matches and it looks like Hobbs is finally done with the QTV nonsense. I'm assuming Joe is either going to cut a heel promo against the Hart family or will cost Punk the cup next week to set in motion a big PPV match down the line. That would be fantastic at Wembley, but I think Chicago would be the more likely option.

With Battle of the Belts, it's effectively going to be a three hour episode next week, although I doubt Luchasaurus vs Shawn Spears will put too many butts on seats.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell