The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyone else think that Tony Schiavone looked a bit ill and gaunt when he was in the ring with Jack Perry the other night?

I got a bit of a shock when I saw him. He didn't look well at all. Hopefully he's OK.

Actually thought this a couple of weeks ago but his demeanour seemed typical so I just put it down to him making an effort to lose weight.

Rumours of Jericho vs Ospreay for All In. If so it's an incredible waste.

AEW is a bit of a mess just now, some great stuff going on but with a month to go to one of their biggest ever shows there's been absolutely no build at all 

They've made a big blunder by going ahead with All Out just after All In. Have just one and build to it, instead of splitting matches across the two shows or, worse (and they'd fucking better not do this!) treat Wembley like an exhibition show that doesn't really play in to storylines.

Based on Wednesday looks like OC Vs Mox is being set up which should be good.

Reckon Darby will be involved in a tag match of some kind against Swerve and the Embassy. Possibly Darby, Sting and Nick Wayne?

I'm sure we'll get stuff involving the Elite from next week.

I'm sure more Collision based stuff will start to take shape soon.

I'll be a bit miffed if All In ends up just being matches for the sake of it. I might be in the minority but story is the most important part of wrestling. I'd always rather see a solid match with an incredible story attached than two guys putting on a great match just because they're really good.

20 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'll be a bit miffed if All In ends up just being matches for the sake of it. I might be in the minority but story is the most important part of wrestling. I'd always rather see a solid match with an incredible story attached than two guys putting on a great match just because they're really good.

Nah I'm with you here. Most great matches are great because they fit in to the storyline and develop it. You can have good stand alone matches but without the story and emotion behind them they can't fulfil their potential. Think of your favourite matches and there's almost certainly a good storyline behind it. Even almost all of the noted 5 star matches have a top story behind them (even though it's a daft, meaningless ranking far too many folk, including wrestlers, put too much stock in to that!).

I heard this event isn't on PPV. Don't even think it's being televised, live or otherwise.

I am really starting to fear that it will be a glorified house show. That would be an absolutely huge error and would annoy so many fans and erode so much good will. It would take a long time for them to build that trust back up.

AEW should have dropped All Out and made this the PPV instead and built towards this for big matches rather than All Out.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I heard this event isn't on PPV. Don't even think it's being televised, live or otherwise.

I've seen that various dirt sheets have confirmed it will be on PPV in the US.

Don't know if maybe they are trying to sort a broadcast deal with ITV for UK possibly?

1 minute ago, Lukovic said:

I've seen that various dirt sheets have confirmed it will be on PPV in the US.

Don't know if maybe they are trying to sort a broadcast deal with ITV for UK possibly?

Ah, that's good then, as if it's on PPV then there's a better chance of them not making it a glorified house show.

Would be good if they could broadcast it on ITV but Fite have the UK rights so will most likely be on there.

There was plenty of speculation it would end up on MAX stateside and ITV here. There was some fuel to the fire as FITE offered a season ticket on PPVs and All In wasn't included. Nothing official has come out. A reporter said it will be on PPV as usual in the states as MAX cannot do live streaming yet.

If you take the Dynamite (Elite) / Collision (Punk) divide as an actual thing that could impact booking scenarios. I'm sure i'll end up favouring the concept the Elite built in All In over the Chicago based All Out.

Darby in a singles match at All Out means a Sting tag for Wembley.

For all his faults, energy vampire Jericho does represent AEW to me. He's already booked Fozzy for a show that weekend. You know he's putting his best effort into Wembley.

Kenny targeting Don Callis by way of Takeshita.

We'll have a better idea after tonight that MJF v. Cole will happen soon. Cole was the chosen one to announce the show and MJF seems smart enough to understand main eventing a stadium sized PPV.

Looks like the battle of the AEW workhorses in OC and Mox.

There's plenty missing to fill it out. Title wise would leave Tag, Trios, TNT, and the alternate women's title for All Out.

They could well still hit it out the park, but can't help feeling that they're not making the best of the opportunity by insisting All Out happens so close. They could have put down an incredible marker by putting near 80000 in Wembley and building all their stories to a head there, but now surely at least one of the shows ends up being less than it should be, or perhaps more likely both of them.

1 hour ago, Lukovic said:

Best worker in the business promoting the show.

It seems a bit strange that Grado is on the publicity tour with Jarrett, but I suppose he is probably the most well known current UK wrestler to people not familiar with wrestling.

I wouldn't have a problem if he's wheeled out at Wembley for a daft comedy segment, expecially if it's with Jarrett and Co. Like a Prayer would be over huge with that crowd.

16 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It seems a bit strange that Grado is on the publicity tour with Jarrett, but I suppose he is probably the most well known current UK wrestler to people not familiar with wrestling.

I wouldn't have a problem if he's wheeled out at Wembley for a daft comedy segment, expecially if it's with Jarrett and Co. Like a Prayer would be over huge with that crowd.

Aye, this. I don’t need a 10 minute match, but it’d be a great bit that the crowd would go nuts for.

Thought it was a great moment for Shida.

Also, the Swerve segment was great he's one of the best things going just now. Definitely seeing it leading towards a tag match against Darby/Sting or Nick Wayne.

MJF and Cole segment was good, excited to see what they can do together at Wembley but the way they sort of lingered on the contract made me think there's a plan in place.

Finally, thought that the Aussie Open match was a lot of fun, Vikingo and Kommander are just great to watch and can do so much daft stuff.

Is MJF a face now? If so, surely it's all an act?

Him vs Cole at All In should be tremendous.

Re Swerve, aye, he's ace, but his pishy stable does nothing for him (or anyone else in it).