The AEW Thread

TheGoon

His booking can leave a lot to be desired, but fair play to Tony Khan. Doubt anyone thought we'd ever see anyone outside of WWE hosting a stadium show, let alone one with an 81k attendance. Even the poorer AEW shows are very watchable, especially when compared to a 3-hour Raw etc. 

He has made seemingly countless people fall back in love with wrestling. Hopefully this massive platform will be the catalyst of bigger and better things to come. 

Apparently Punk and Perry are both suspended pending an investigation into what happened last night. Surely they aren't going to leave Punk off a Chicago PPV?

We must be getting close to the point where either Punk or Khan decide that these constant confrontations aren't worth the hassle any more.

One of the best weekends of my entire life, loved it. 

Never done a Mania, so just surreal to be at a show of that scale and see guys I never had before. Watched the show back there and thought it was brilliant. Had a bit of everything, and about as good a showcase of what AEW does as you could really ask for. The smile on my face when Seek & Destroy hit still hasn’t fully come off. 

Atmosphere in Wembley and the boozers near it was just class, met some really great people. Defo heading back down too. 

The wrestlers can try all the "look over here" stuff around the backstage drama, but it's becoming really hard to ignore it even after not only the best show AEW have had, but probably one of the most important wrestling itself has had for a while.  Maybe Jack Perry was entirely to blame, but in a way that's worse.  Punk's p***kly nature now seems to be catching, and a touch under a year after Brawl Out, it seems like Punk's suspended again.  Surely if you're Tony Khan you've got to grow a spine and punt him purely for risking a derailment of such a massive show.  There's only so many times he can come out coked up to the gills and seem like just a great guy (which he does) when Punk continues to make him look like more and more of a dildo.

Also finding the reports of Punk's dreeeeeeadful journey to Wembley highly amusing.  Seems like he got the hump that no-one from AEW met him at Heathrow or sent a car, and the number he was given just rang out (talent relations, Christopher Daniels by any chance?) so he had to get the tube and "got lost". 

7 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Atmosphere in Wembley and the boozers near it was just class, met some really great people. Defo heading back down too. 

Definitely agree with this, I think the only "trouble" I saw the entire day was one guy trying to leap the fence at Wembley Way while in the queue, at which point the security rolled in and talked him down.  Absolutely nothing else, and even my expectation that we'd end up getting your typical "wrestling fans" around was unfounded.  Everyone was just there and absolutely loving it. 

My entire row seemed to be from Glasgow and the surrounding areas oddly.

Just watching bits of it back now, the hard-cam shots look absolutely brilliant, hides any of the gaps you had at pitch level and makes everything look absolutely massive.  

But the audio mixing already seems very odd, sounds a lot quieter than it should have for 80k in there.  And Jesus Backyard Wrestling Christ, they have no fucking idea how to film a multi-man match like Stadium Stampede.  Every time they do one of these, they're constantly cutting away from the peak of spots, then quickly cutting back far too late.  

Edited by forameus

Despite him seemingly burning bridges with just about everyone, I find it hard to believe that there was nobody from AEW already in London that Punk could have called and very quickly had a pick-up arranged for him. I believe Heathrow may have taxi ranks as well. 

I can imagine he called a few folk but when they saw who was calling they ignored it. 

Anyway, about time he was punted. Just not worth the hassle any longer. To be a little bitch and potentially mess with such a big show because of a daft throw away comment that could, and should, have been ignored, is ridiculous, but he's so mentally thin skinned and precious (see the reports about him having folk banned from Collision for example).

Went back and watched the main event to see if it held up, and it's even better getting to hear what's going on in the ring. MJF is just so fucking good at pretty much everything he does. It's melodramatic hokey shit, but when he's screaming in anguish at Cole about how he was wrong about him, you fucking believe it. Cole has to be the one that turns on him now, and it's going to be some moment when he does.

23 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Latest rumours coming out about Punk are something to say the least.

Apparently tried to start on Miro after the match with Joe.

Would've paid extra to see that happen.

Haha, surely not?! Miro would have annihilated him.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, surely not?! Miro would have annihilated him.

What's said to have happened is Punk comes back from his match. Miro asks him what happened with him & Jack Perry. Chip on both shoulders, Punk takes this as someone against him. Asks if they have a problem and if they should step outside.

Which is rather melodramatic but is now the 2nd time that phrasing has been used after the confrontation Punk had with Ryan Nemeth.

Had Miro said yes it wouldn't have went well for the Pepsi p***k.

Also just read the think about monitors apparently falling on Tony Khan during the Punk/Perry scuffle.

Just get this fucker fired already.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Had Miro said yes it wouldn't have went well for the Pepsi p***k.

Also just read the think about monitors apparently falling on Tony Khan during the Punk/Perry scuffle.

Just get this fucker fired already.

It's really for the best. It's been a year plus of this now. Domestic business is at a real low. Struggling to see attendances over 3,000. The CM Punk show on Collision hasn't been a draw and it appears to be detrimental as anti-Punk people have bodyswerved it.

Moxley would fly a 1000 miles in economy for the chance to bleed all over a local armory at the weekend. Yet hasn't made a single appearance. This was someone that did everything he could to drag Rampage out of the gutter ratings it fell in.

How long does this really go on for? If they can’t get everyone behaving like adults (even if the beef isn’t squashed) then someone needs to leave - and I’d say it’s much more likely to be Punk. 

Which would be a shame, as he’s one of my favourite guys and is one of the few real difference makers they have, but if it’s at the expense of a happy, fairly united locker room then it isn’t worth it. 

Most of the talk is about this nonsense rather than the fantastic, history making show they put on. That can’t keep happening. 

15 hours ago, Lukovic said:

Latest rumours coming out about Punk are something to say the least.

Apparently tried to start on Miro after the match with Joe.

Would've paid extra to see that happen.

14 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

So it seems like like Miro and Joe could be done with Punk as well. If Punk does keep his his job, then Collision might just be him, FTR and Danhausen going forward.

The Miro stuff is typical dirtsheets apparently.

Latest stuff coming out was that Punk and Miro were saying 'right, is it our turn to fight' in a bit of gallows humour type way and in fact, Punk, Miro and Brody King made their way to the stadium together.

Agree with the overall sentiment though, Punk clearly thinks he's bigger than AEW and is just a constantly ticking timebomb - probably best for both parties at this point to go their separate ways.