Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

43 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

Splaine has enough about him to persuade me that we're not wasting a wage. He reminds me of David Sinclair a little. A better player in some ways but he seems to play a similar game and comes with some of the same physical limitations I remember Sinclair having.

I'd like to see Jones paired with Goodwillie tomorrow.

A couple of absolutely wild takes here.

47 minutes ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

Can’t believe what I am reading about Splaine, the boy was brilliant. Splaine & Gomis if we play 2 in the middle will be our starters this season. 

We've only seen him a couple of times in friendlies. He has split opinion you're right. I don't think he's a bad player at all. There's a lot to recommend him. He moves it quickly. He's a decent size. He's quite solid technically. He showed off some good vision and passing against Raith and again today. I wouldn't surprised if he's got a decent delivery, free kick and long range shot on him. Though we haven't really seen that yet.

What worries me a wee bit is if he can put down all the good qualities he has every week. He's not got a lot of senior football behind him. He's not the nippiest player. Nor is he a complete slouch, I grant. He doesn't show the wisdom not to lose possession that Gomis or even Cuddihy does. Then again, he's more minded to take a risk and you need a few players like that.

A conservative manager might want him in a tight three rather than a two because even with Gomis beside him we might not have the legs and toughness about us to win the midfield battles that we need to.

I'm trying to place him as a player and I keep thinking of three players: David Sinclair, Alexanders Gramovics and Paul Watson at Montrose. Now... Suspend your incredulity. One of those players is a lot better than the others. I know that. But they've all been centre midfielders. They've all got a decent long range pass in their locker. None of them will be remembered as outstanding athletes. And they all, at different times and in slightly better and worse ways, sort of play to link the lines up and muck in more with scoring goals than stopping them. Watson has been a good player for Montrose by many accounts. But I have a lot of memories of us zipping through their lines leaving him in chase. And when we had a stinker as a team, but for a good free-kick or long range strike, Gramovics wasn't the player pulling us out of the rut. Nor was Sinclair obviously.

I think it all gets to how we use him. We need to see more of him to really understand where we'll fit him in.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo

30 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

A couple of absolutely wild takes here.

I could concede the point on Sinclair. I think we all agree he didn't show up much for Clyde. It was more a comparison of style. Both he and Splaine seem to like a long pass and are more about making play than breaking it up. You can draw the line there.

However, if you're lashing me for the Goodwillie-Jones pairing I don't follow you. We can't have signed Jones to play up himself, can we? You want a player buzzing around him. Who better than Goodie for that job. I'd just like to see it happen in a friendly game before a competitive one so we've some idea of how they fare together.

Edited by Clydeside
Typo; extra sentence.

I think today summed up what most people knew already; we've got some good players and some absolute dross. If you're not standing out, or indeed struggling, against that Stirling Albion Rovers team then it won't happen against L1 sides. We're placing a lot of importance on having a first eleven that stays fit and even then we clearly need another centre half and right back as a minimum. 

I also thought the second half trialist had a great game on the ball, played forward the whole time. I would like to see him again against a tougher side tomorrow. Ally Love reinvented playing as the 10 behind Goodwillie was excellent. Page has actually done okay in the two games as well.

2 hours ago, Clydeside said:

However, if you're lashing me for the Goodwillie-Jones pairing I don't follow you. We can't have signed Jones to play up himself, can we? You want a player buzzing around him. Who better than Goodie for that job. I'd just like to see it happen in a friendly game before a competitive one so we've some idea of how they fare together.

I’m not disputing that’s how we’d play with them both in the team, but surely no one wants to see Goodwillie and Jones playing together.

Jones as a starter isn’t an avenue worth exploring. I’m not one to be defeatist but today, even for 10/15 mins, proved what most of us thought - he can’t play at this level. Even his touch in the warm up was very bad.

22 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I’m not disputing that’s how we’d play with them both in the team, but surely no one wants to see Goodwillie and Jones playing together.

Jones as a starter isn’t an avenue worth exploring. I’m not one to be defeatist but today, even for 10/15 mins, proved what most of us thought - he can’t play at this level. Even his touch in the warm up was very bad.

I don't agree with you on how he fared for the brief period he was on the pitch. I never watched the warm up so I'll take your word for that. In the game he only got on the ball maybe three or four times. On one occassion he did lose the ball poorly. However, on one of the other occassions he got on the ball just over halfway after taking it out of the air. He got turned and made his way past a couple of defenders knocking one down in the process and showed a decent turn of pace. I think the play ended with us having an attempt on goal with Rovers' defence scrambling. Or maybe we won a corner, I forget.

Maybe nobody else wants them playing together. I don't know. I just think I'd like to see them up top as a pair for a while to see if it works. We're as well as testing the proposition in a friendly against a decent side before the competitive games come around.

Edited by Clydeside

Ally Love was the most pleasant surprise for me.
Looks like he's lost a fair bit of weight, looks much fitter than he did previously, buzzed about all over the place, and scored a screamer of a goal.
Gomis looked class, Goody scored his usual couple of goals, Mitchell safe in goals, Balatoni (and Rumsby) solid at the back, Splaine, Andrew & No.25 (Kennedy?) looked fairly promising. And, of the others, there were only a couple who I felt need to step up considerably from their performance today.
Reasonably pleased with what I saw today. Hopeful for the season ahead ^_^.

Wonder if we'll see Cuddihy at right back today? Mortimer the only outfield player to play the full game yesterday so would be some shift if he done same again today.

Would like to see the trialist Kennedy again too against better opposition.

From what I can see, from my stream running at 5 frames per second, we’re playing some nice stuff in the midfield. I understand it’s a fairly mixed Airdrie team against a fairly strong starting XI for us.

That midfield has looked not too bad at all. However, I’m getting serious 08/09, beat Hibs 3-0 in pre-season and then get relegated vibes from this game.

I’ll enjoy it whilst it lasts (which is hopefully a very long time).

Encouraging half there without trying to take too much away from us as Airdrie have offered nothing. Goalie had a couple of awful passes out early on but distribution has improved as the half went on. Balatoni and Page look upgrades and even with the simple passes to each other look a lot more comfortable in possession than Rumsby. That back 4 would be my first choice when we're down to league business. Midfield 3 working well with each other and 2 well taken goals.