Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

13 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Arbroath had arguably the smallest budget in the championship last season and finished second. Surely you can find a couple of bog standard league one full backs on our budget. If not getting rid of the 3 or 4 shite ones would free up some cash.

Where are they now

Where are they now

That’s got nothing to do with your point on budgets though does it? Clearly our lowly budget is not being best utilised is the point.

For example we have 4 experienced cbs when 2 would do plus a couple of younger lads/cheaper options. We have no full backs worth the name. We have very limited options in wide areas of midfield.

What summer signings have actually been a success?

Ray Grant for sure, jordan Allan probably, duthie looked good before we lost him. McLean is steady enough. It’s not exactly been a resounding success though.

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

That’s got nothing to do with your point on budgets though does it? Clearly our lowly budget is not being best utilised is the point.

For example we have 4 experienced cbs when 2 would do plus a couple of younger lads/cheaper options. We have no full backs worth the name. We have very limited options in wide areas of midfield.

Ray Grant for sure, jordan Allan probably, duthie looked good before we lost him. McLean is steady enough. It’s not exactly be a resounding success though.

Why debate with Danny Choo…the guy has obviously had a bang to the head. Lol 

12 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Ray Grant for sure, jordan Allan probably, duthie looked good before we lost him. McLean is steady enough. It’s not exactly be a resounding success though.

Yes all good points although DL was forced into signing extra centre backs as sula and thicot couldn’t  get work permits.I do think this squad will start to pick up points starting from Saturday.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

. McLean is steady enough. It’s not exactly be a resounding success though.

Got to disagree here, personally think Mclean has been one of the worst signings that’s gone under the radar. He loses every header, gets beat to every tackle, loses every 50/50, doesn’t even try to find a pass just hoofs it up the park and 90% of the time goes out or goes to the opposition, as soon as we concede he looks deflated and like he doesn’t want to be there (i understand him) but he’s the captain of the team. Imo he should be nowhere near the team. Sula and Grant should be our pairing at the back imo, Thicot and McLean are just gna lose us games week after week. Will be happy to be proven wrong but highly doubt that. Also highly doubt McLean will be dropped since he’s the captain and everytime he’s been dropped at a club he’s had a hissy fit and Lennon doesn’t have the balls to drop him even though he’s been the cause of a lot of goals already this season. 

21 minutes ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Got to disagree here, personally think Mclean has been one of the worst signings that’s gone under the radar. He loses every header, gets beat to every tackle, loses every 50/50, doesn’t even try to find a pass just hoofs it up the park and 90% of the time goes out or goes to the opposition, as soon as we concede he looks deflated and like he doesn’t want to be there (i understand him) but he’s the captain of the team. Imo he should be nowhere near the team. Sula and Grant should be our pairing at the back imo, Thicot and McLean are just gna lose us games week after week. Will be happy to be proven wrong but highly doubt that. Also highly doubt McLean will be dropped since he’s the captain and everytime he’s been dropped at a club he’s had a hissy fit and Lennon doesn’t have the balls to drop him even though he’s been the cause of a lot of goals already this season. 

Couldn't disagree with you more with a couple of points there. Of the four or five games I've been to McLean is one of the few who wins the vast majority of his aerial duels and has a footballing brain on him and tries to play it out from the back. He resorts to hoofing it when the full backs or centre mids dont show for the ball because he has no other option. He's not got the pace to take the ball past a striker 5-10 years younger than him so his options are limited.

22 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Couldn't disagree with you more with a couple of points there. Of the four or five games I've been to McLean is one of the few who wins the vast majority of his aerial duels and has a footballing brain on him and tries to play it out from the back. He resorts to hoofing it when the full backs or centre mids dont show for the ball because he has no other option. He's not got the pace to take the ball past a striker 5-10 years younger than him so his options are limited.

Spot on. When we've played a back four he has generally played well and is a million times better than any of the dunces we had playing there last season.

Really have to disagree. I think he’s a major part in our recent poor form. He’s just so lackadaisical in everything he does. He might win a couple of headers but his decision making is awful, yes ok his teammates aren’t exactly helping him but he doesn’t need to waste every possession like he does. He gets beat on every 1vs1, his legs are gone we know that but he should have the brain and knowledge to defend which he rarely has done. If he comes good I’ll be the first to put my hands up and admit it but until then I’d like to see him on the bench for the foreseeable and give Sula a run out, can’t be any worse. 

32 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Yes would agree with this

The games I have seen I would say McLean has been pretty solid and used the ball well when has the option for a pass

His one big downfall is his pace or more a case of lack of pace

Over a 20 yard foot race he always looks like he is running through treacle.  

However he is 37? So not expected he will have the pace of someone in their 20s

13 hours ago, ClydeFCTheBullyWee said:

Agree and disagree with this.  The 2 goals we lost v top of the league Dunfermline this week, were not caused by McLean or P Grant. but by 2 individual basic errors from experienced players. 

If anyone has played football to any decent level they'll tell you the understanding between players, particularly defenders, is huge.  Because DL can't decide on his 'best' selection nor formation, no understanding is built. Maybe that's where the problem is?