Queen's Park 2019/20

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Every silver lining has a dark cloud. Club captain to surplus in half a year. Hope the good times stay with him longer than the bad. All the best Gibby.

Paves the way for a new Club captain though...

Big Pedro, I suspect. 

2 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Or Galt?

Galt is a club legend as far as I'm concerned, but I think you need that wee bit of an aggressive streak to be a captain. Not necessarily running around lamping folk, but certainly dishing out gentle reminders when they need to be dished out. 

9 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Maybe the last of his kind?

10 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

What do you mean by that?

One club amateur like Richard Sinclair and Tony Quinn? Kind of symbolises the passing of one era and the start of the new. Mind you he was a professional for  a few weeks. Sad to see him go and hope he'll continue to enjoy football with a new club.

Galt is a club legend as far as I'm concerned, but I think you need that wee bit of an aggressive streak to be a captain. Not necessarily running around lamping folk, but certainly dishing out gentle reminders when they need to be dished out. 
Grant is an obvious leader on the pitch, and I think Saturday showed that he already has a connection with the fans, although he's only been here a few weeks.
However, I think my vote for club captain would have to go to Galt.
While not been consistently his best this season he is always hard working and you can see him getting the other guys, and the fans, fired up (Sal is noticeably good at this too).
Galt must now be one of the longest serving in the squad (albeit with a break while at Aloa/Cambuslang). I don't know him well, but any time I've spoken to him, or seen him chatting with other fans, he's always come across as a really good guy, and I think that with all that, plus his work and experience in his day job(s) he is a great ambassador for the club.

Galt as club captain, Peter Grant as team captain would be fine by me.  Farewell to Gibbie, a proper QP man.
I could get behind that setup too.
Also hope Gibby finds a club soon and can get an opportunity to play regularly again. Wish him all the best.

Would be more than happy with Galt as Club Captain but there would also then be an added pressure not to miss games through work commitments. That may seem harsh, but standards definitely change at football clubs when money starts changing hands, and rightly so?

Grant seems the obvious choice to me due to the way he organises the team on the pitch but I don’t think he’s the kind of guy that would care about that to be honest. He’ll still be a leader.

Best of luck to Gibby now he has moved on. Have heard he’s signing for Cumbernauld Colts in the Lowland League. A true QP man and deserves some luck after some very bad injuries over the years (130 appearances in 7 and a half years shows just how unlucky he has been).

Edited by Big Badger

Whilst it’s the common arrangement there’s no reason the club and team captains couldn’t be different. Galt’s is clearly a good choice for the Club but his day job at Thistle seems to be more important to his life and I respect that. Releasing the burden of team captain would allow him to focus on what he does best. For all his talent his goal tally is poor. I think it’s likely he’ll move on in the summer so the rest of the season as Club captain would be fitting.

As for a Grant, as a defender I don’t see him yet better than Jamieson but he’s certainly got the back line under control and has leadership skills. He’ll likely set good examples and clearly relishes responsibility. Team leader on the pitch we’ve badly lacked for some years.

12 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

One club amateur like Richard Sinclair and Tony Quinn? Kind of symbolises the passing of one era and the start of the new. Mind you he was a professional for  a few weeks. Sad to see him go and hope he'll continue to enjoy football with a new club.

Exactly what I meant but you have put it far more eloquently!

12 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

While not been consistently his best this season he is always hard working 

I do think Galt gets judged at a higher standard than the rest. Given how talented he is, if he was playing his best every week then we would be further up the league table. Even when he has a so-called quiet game he always does something that others aren't capable of and is usually involved in some sort of assist for our goals. I'd go as far to say that if it wasn't for him (and Sal) we would have been bottom of the league before McKinnon took over.

(...and yes, I know he's not gonna shag me 😆 )

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I think it’s likely he’ll move on in the summer 

You heard something? I heard he will be offered a contract and the only thing in the way might be his commitments to the Futsal Youth Academy that he runs , which has caused him to miss games previously

3 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Plenty of times when the club captain and team captain have been different. For example, when we won promotion in 2006/2007, Sinky was club captain and Ketts was team captain. 

I'd be happy enough with that setup.