Queen's Park 2019/20

21 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Not sure I see the point of that. If Muir had been injured in the League Cup games then presumably one of the youngsters would have had to play. Judging by Tuesday we have a lad who could fill in adequately. 

He's played hundreds of senior games and will be great for the young lads to look up to. If we happened to be in trouble, it'd also not be an ideal situation to put a kid into. Smart signing imo. 

24 minutes ago, an86 said:

He's played hundreds of senior games and will be great for the young lads to look up to. If we happened to be in trouble, it'd also not be an ideal situation to put a kid into. Smart signing imo. 

Totally.  I've no doubt the boy who played the other night has talent and will hopefully go onto great things for Queen's, but its one thing playing in that match, its quite something else to play away at Stenny or Annan on a dark and wet Tuesday night in March when we need the points.   I'd be more comfortable having an experienced keeper as cover.  If it takes him a few months to get fit then fair enough, its better he's doing that with us and hopefully helping the young lads at the same time.

Edited by Chester Desmond

1 hour ago, an86 said:

51 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:

Totally.  I've no doubt the boy who played the other night has talent and will hopefully go onto great things for Queen's, but its one thing playing in that match, its quite something else to play away at Stenny or Annan on a dark and wet Tuesday night in March when we need the points.   I'd be more comfortable having an experienced keeper as cover.  If it takes him a few months to get fit then fair enough, its better he's doing that with us and hopefully helping the young lads at the same time.

I don't doubt either point. The point I was making is that we do not have cover at the moment.

18 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I don't doubt either point. The point I was making is that we do not have cover at the moment.

Your last post said "we have a lad who could fill in adequately" That was a quick change of opinion

The stronger squad we have over the course of the season the better and real competition for his place should help Muir maintain his high standards. Also means Muir won't be forced to take painkilling injections if he ever got an injury, like Jordan Hart did towards the end of last season   

14 hours ago, roger ram jet said:

JUst listened to Marko Roberts interview after the Celtic colts game, thought it was a bit ungracious of him saying that last years team would have been beaten two or three nil against this Celtic colts team,

I actually thought he was meaning that if we fielded a similar weakened team last season then we would have lost two or three nil. I took it as a positive comment on the strength of his squad this season

The game on Tuesday night felt like you were attending a youth team or reserve match except the price to get in didnt reflect that. From that perspective i felt a bit short changed. A flat rate fiver would have been a better reflection of the stature of the match but to be honest if i had known Roberts was making so many changes i probably wouldnt have gone, but in the end I am glad I did and was encouraged by how the younger lads went about things.

44 minutes ago, houstonspider said:

The game on Tuesday night felt like you were attending a youth team or reserve match except the price to get in didnt reflect that. From that perspective i felt a bit short changed. A flat rate fiver would have been a better reflection of the stature of the match 

Well it was their youth team against our reserves so I think we all felt that

I was also surprised at the admission prices ( thankfully I'm a member), however would that have attracted many more QP fans to travel to Airdrie on a wet midweek night? Probably not. I think the people who stayed away did so because they couldn't be bothered with a game against a Colts side

Would more local Celtic fans have attended? It was Airdrie, I think they were all there!

Sign of the times that clubs at our level are fielding weakened teams this early in the season due to league priorities.

Being knocked out so early is still a lot of money down the drain, lost the gate money that a few rounds would have gathered and any money from the sponsors for competing, or maybe it’s boxes of tea cakes now

1 hour ago, roger ram jet said:

Being knocked out so early is still a lot of money down the drain, lost the gate money that a few rounds would have gathered and any money from the sponsors for competing, or maybe it’s boxes of tea cakes now

Not really, the prize money in the Challenge Cup is rubbish! 

Cant recall another occasion where a QP side was set up to not give maximum chance of winning a match. First 2 substitutions said it all with both being defensive. Credit to the players on the park who continued to try to get a result right to the end. Would have been good to keep the winning going in a game that was there for the taking.

2012/13 play-off semi final 2nd leg away to Peterhead 

Different circumstance. Some of the players had already made known they were leaving.

Celtic Colts weren’t remotely physical. Chance of injury to anyone coming on late equally remote. Missed opportunity. Still, nice to know so early that anything less than the play-offs will be failure.

46 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Different circumstance. Some of the players had already made known they were leaving.

Celtic Colts weren’t remotely physical. Chance of injury to anyone coming on late equally remote. Missed opportunity. Still, nice to know so early that anything less than the play-offs will be failure.

Anywhere but 10th!