Queen's Park 2019/20

4 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

How’d they do?

They did ok, as well as anybody did last night imo.  Salim missed a sitter of a header to put us ahead but made up for it with his free kick that got as back into the game. I thought we were lucky to be only one goal behind at half time tbh, they could have scored a couple more. The best player on the park was Celtic's Okoflex, looks a real talent but unfortunately we won't be seeing it in a Scotland jersey. McKendrick totally bottled sending off Celtic defender who took out Martin when he was clean through, didn't even give the foul. That seemed to fire us up a bit, second half we were better and a horrific mistake by the Celtic full back laid it on a plate for Martin. Could have won it at the death but Moore's lob over the keeper bounced a yard from the line and over the bar 🙈

I totally understand why we made changes but I was expecting 4 or 5, not nine. It was a tournament that we had a great run in last year and always nice to get a buffoonery trip to a  non -Scottish team ( even a trip to Falkirk's ground would have been unique for us), so from that point of view a wee bit disappointing. However, three points on Saturday and a decent league campaign is far more important         

Edited by Mick1867

Does David Crawford still exist ? The game was a lot better than I thought it was going to be, with lots of chances for both teams. Thought Martin and Main were the best players, particularly Main. He’s got a terrific engine and loves a tackle, more than capable of getting into the starting XI. Regan was promising and came more into the game throughout the 2nd half, you can tell he’s quality for someone of his age, alongside the keeper who was also very impressive. Overall, good to see our fringe players are capable of stepping in which I have no doubts they will throughout the season

2 minutes ago, roger ram jet said:

JUst listened to Marko Roberts interview after the Celtic colts game, thought it was a bit ungracious of him saying that last years team would have been beaten two or three nil against this Celtic colts team,
Did last years team not beat Ayr united, TNS and St MIrren colts before being kicked off the park by Connah quay
He obviously didn't fancy progressing any further in this competition because of the strength of the team he fielded, which is unfair on the paying QP fans who no doubt would have loved another away trip to one of our neighbouring countries

The most important thing is the Club finishes as high as possible in the league. Stuff trips to Wales or Ireland if it means we make the play-offs.

The most important thing is the Club finishes as high as possible in the league. Stuff trips to Wales or Ireland if it means we make the play-offs.

Suppose saving the cost of flights, coaches, hotels etc is an added incentive too. I’ll think twice about how I spend my cash come the Scottish Cup if we’re not going to compete.

Disappointed not to progress but tempered by a team with nine changes finishing so strongly. With natural changes, suspensions and injuries, these guys will feature in future first teams. Giving them a run is understandable.

I'd be more worried if I were a Celtic fan. How many of their side looked like first team material?

On a heavy grass park, that high bouncing ball from Moore wouldn't have bounced so high and would have been the winner.

Suppose saving the cost of flights, coaches, hotels etc is an added incentive too. I’ll think twice about how I spend my cash come the Scottish Cup if we’re not going to compete.
Maybe not quite what you're saying, but I felt we did compete, particularly from two goals down. We won a watch with last year's competition, but that wasn't every team's experience. We put out strong teams in the League Cup games; we can be forgiven for this one, especially given how the lads performed.

9 hours ago, roger ram jet said:

JUst listened to Marko Roberts interview after the Celtic colts game, thought it was a bit ungracious of him saying that last years team would have been beaten two or three nil against this Celtic colts team,
Did last years team not beat Ayr united, TNS and St MIrren colts before being kicked off the park by Connah quay
He obviously didn't fancy progressing any further in this competition because of the strength of the team he fielded, which is unfair on the paying QP fans who no doubt would have loved another away trip to one of our neighbouring countries

Imagine finding ourselves in a situation where Muir, Galt, Jamieson, or any other key player found themselves sidelined for two months after picking up an injury against someone's youth team. I'd be significantly more pissed off with him for risking them than I am about being knocked out.

Huge respect to him for treating the competition with the utter contempt it deserves. He's not the only League Two manager who made sweeping changes. It's also good to see this tinpot shambles getting the attendances it deserves. Back to the competitive action on Saturday.

Edited by an86

I enjoyed the game on Tuesday and watching our fringe and young players. I accept the league is the priority but still see a place for the challenge cup if used as we did on Tuesday. Throw Inthe fact we got caramel wafers as well. I would kick out the foreign clubs and it would be a decent tournament.

29 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

I enjoyed the game on Tuesday and watching our fringe and young players. I accept the league is the priority but still see a place for the challenge cup if used as we did on Tuesday. Throw Inthe fact we got caramel wafers as well. I would kick out the foreign clubs and it would be a decent tournament.

There's still a place for the Challenge Cup if they kick the Colts out. It's not really a competitive football match if only one set of fans care about the outcome. Even then, the level to which the set of fans who do care is dimmed dramatically.

Highland League, Lowland League, Championship to League Two would be a good competition. No more inviting the Renford Rejects, Mighty Ducks and Hamilton Boys Club. Makes a total mockery of what was once a decent and worthwhile tournament. 

11 hours ago, qpfc said:

Does David Crawford still exist ? 

What I was told by someone who spoke to him shortly after he signed was that having been out of the game for a couple of years he'll mainly be working on his fitness over the next few months until he's at a level to compete for a first team place, or at least provide cover for Muir.

1 hour ago, Chester Desmond said:

What I was told by someone who spoke to him shortly after he signed was that having been out of the game for a couple of years he'll mainly be working on his fitness over the next few months until he's at a level to compete for a first team place, or at least provide cover for Muir.

Not sure I see the point of that. If Muir had been injured in the League Cup games then presumably one of the youngsters would have had to play. Judging by Tuesday we have a lad who could fill in adequately.