Queen's Park 2019/20

OK so it was the U/19s and not the U/18s and he is now 34 and still a great player at our level. Trust he will be our first transfer signing when he is out of contract.

In all seriousness, would signing a 34 year old not be against what the club is trying to be about?

2 hours ago, NathanQP said:

In all seriousness, would signing a 34 year old not be against what the club is trying to be about?

Like every club, our main aim is to win football matches and finish as high in the league as possible. Trouten is still outrageous at this level and I'd be disappointed if we hadn't already sounded him out. 

On 20/12/2019 at 18:05, The man with no name said:

Killie groundsman and 2000 Championship winning goal-scoring hero Mark Gallagher was at Hampden last Saturday. He's looking forward to the game.

A top poacher who always came up with the goods when it mattered. Loved that side, full of players with huge character and personality 

On 20/12/2019 at 14:44, NathanQP said:

I sincerely hope not.

Our history also shows that experience is required to assist any side that has its fair share of youths. Paul Ronald was 35 when he signed for us and his physical presence played a big role in Stark's team winning promotion in 2006/2007. There was a lot more to that side than young players playing silky football 

I sincerely hope not.
Our history also shows that experience is required to assist any side that has its fair share of youths. Paul Ronald was 35 when he signed for us and his physical presence played a big role in Stark's team winning promotion in 2006/2007. There was a lot more to that side than young players playing silky football 

I get your point, but the promises made to people who were hesitant about semi pro was that we wouldn’t just sign a bunch of old players to survive. You can still get physical young players, they don’t suddenly become physical when they hit 33.

36 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

I get your point, but the promises made to people who were hesitant about semi pro was that we wouldn’t just sign a bunch of old players to survive. You can still get physical young players, they don’t suddenly become physical when they hit 33.

Who cares what age they are, if young players are good enough they’ll play. Our inconsistencies the past 2 seasons have been the complete lack of experience in important areas of the pitch. To have any opportunity of getting a player of the calibre of Trouten, we should be grabbing with both hands. 

Edited by qpfc

Who cares what age they are, if young players are good enough they’ll play. Our inconsistencies the past 2 seasons have been the complete lack of experience in important areas of the pitch. To have any opportunity of getting a player of the calibre of Trouten, we should be grabbing with both hands. 

It’s nothing about experience, it’s about being good enough for this level. Experience is such an overrated attribute.

1 hour ago, NathanQP said:

You need a balance. Mix experience with youth. We do that and we will be fine.

Surviving isn't the goal!

Edited by The man with no name

Correct. Managers will tell you that youngsters are terrific when things are going well but their heads drop very easily when the team is struggling. The likes of Paul Ronald, Paul Harvey and Ally Graham came to us at the end of their careers and were outstanding; terrific role models and just what we needed at the time.

18 hours ago, NathanQP said:

You can still get physical young players, they don’t suddenly become physical when they hit 33.

I never said they did, I was just pointing out what one of Ronald's useful attributes were

17 hours ago, NathanQP said:

It’s nothing about experience, it’s about being good enough for this level. Experience is such an overrated attribute.

We're talking experience combined with ability obviously. As you say, it's about being good enough for this level, young or not so young. I'm pretty sure we will find that balance 

16 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
17 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Correct. Managers will tell you that youngsters are terrific when things are going well but their heads drop very easily when the team is struggling. The likes of Paul Ronald, Paul Harvey and Ally Graham came to us at the end of their careers and were outstanding; terrific role models and just what we needed at the time.

Not forgetting the amazing Andy Millen who came out of retirement to play for us at 45 years of age. We were 8th when he signed in January, we finished 3rd

11 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

This should be the exception, not the rule

Well yes. Obviously. He was 45!

Certainly isn't the exception though that a team in League 2 will have good experienced players to assist less experienced young players. No matter if that team is amateur or pro. We've had that ever since we started signing ex-pros in the 90s. I really couldn't give a f**k if they are 25, 35, or 45, as long as they benefit the team . 

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Not forgetting the amazing Andy Millen who came out of retirement to play for us at 45 years of age. We were 8th when he signed in January, we finished 3rd

That legendary team had a couple of seasons with Stark before the promotion year as I recall. The memorable long run of wins only started the week after Millen joined. Paul Harvey was the most gifted player I can ever recall playing for us.

Maybe there's no good guys left who just want to play for the sake of plalying?

That legendary team had a couple of seasons with Stark before the promotion year as I recall. The memorable long run of wins only started the week after Millen joined. Paul Harvey was the most gifted player I can ever recall playing for us.
Maybe there's no good guys left who just want to play for the sake of plalying?
Davie Anderson springs to mind more recently. Sublime.

9 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

He was great for the team. It was like having a coach on the park. He was constantly getting the other defenders into the right positions.