Football League 19-20

WALMOT

Huddersfield’s prospective new owner Phil Hodgkinson has admitted a misconduct charge for betting on matches and been fined £1,500 by the Football Association.

The case relates to 99 bets he placed on games between September 2015 and February 2019, during which time he was a football agent and a director of non-league club Southport.

The matter could have derailed his Huddersfield purchase, as “participants” in the game are prevented from betting on football, but Press Association Sport understands the matter has effectively been closed and Hodgkinson’s takeover should be approved at the English Football League’s annual general meeting in Portugal later this week.

Last month, shortly after the club’s relegation from the Premier League was confirmed, the Terriers’ current owner Dean Hoyle announced his plan to sell a 75-per-cent stake to Hodgkinson.

Hoyle explained he was giving up control of the club after a decade because of ill health but he also said he believed Hodgkinson was the best candidate to build on his legacy.

Since that announcement there has been no further news, with most observers assuming it would be a formality for Hodgkinson, the chief executive of legal services company Pure Business Group, to pass the EFL’s owners and directors test.

But the reason for the delay can be found on the FA website, buried in a list of disciplinary charges for April.

The note says Hodgkinson “breached FA Rule E8(1)(a)(i) in placing 99 bets on the result and/or progress and/or conduct and/or any other aspect of a football matches between 29 September 2015 and 19 February 2019…charge admitted – paper hearing requested”.

The result of that hearing, which took place last month, was that the FA panel accepted that Hodgkinson was not aware of the ban until it was brought to his attention, the bets were small and they were not on games or clubs in Southport’s league.

It is also understood that Hodgkinson told Huddersfield about the case at the outset of talks with Hoyle and has kept them informed of the situation throughout.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather have neither, feel they should both have to earn a role at a team in the higher divisions by working lower down. At least Terry is learning the job as an assistant rather than expecting to be handed a big club manager's job on a plate. I'd still rather he was employed elsewhere, though. 

Someone like Hughton would have been a good appointment, I reckon. Or maybe one of the Barnsley or Lincoln managers if you are after someone on the way up. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd rather have neither, feel they should both have to earn a role at a team in the higher divisions by working lower down. At least Terry is learning the job as an assistant rather than expecting to be handed a big club manager's job on a plate. I'd still rather he was employed elsewhere, though. 

Someone like Hughton would have been a good appointment, I reckon. Or maybe one of the Barnsley or Lincoln managers if you are after someone on the way up. 

Exactly like Woodgate has done you mean?

You do realize that Woodgate was a part of the coaching staff at Middlesbrough under Pulis

Yeah but...

What, you expect me to actually do some research before posting now? :(

Although if all the Boro fans hate Pulis, someone who coached under him might not be the best choice? We will see, I suppose. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Yeah but...

What, you expect me to actually do some research before posting now? :(

Although if all the Boro fans hate Pulis, someone who coached under him might not be the best choice? We will see, I suppose. 

Supposedly he was one of the people at the end of season meeting who voiced his dissatisfaction with the playing style. As I say, it’s an underwhelming appointment, but it could be worse - Terry, or even worse Pulis again.

• 4 weeks later...

Laurence bassini saying he has been given 25 million by david sullivan to help buy bolton. Said that sullivan gave him it because of the bad publicity. Something doesn’t sit right with this, if he is needing that sort of cash to buy is he going to just have to continually borrow to fund the club? West ham fans will hit the roof as well, because that was cash could have spent on players.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:39, buchan30 said:

Laurence bassini saying he has been given 25 million by david sullivan to help buy bolton. Said that sullivan gave him it because of the bad publicity. Something doesn’t sit right with this, if he is needing that sort of cash to buy is he going to just have to continually borrow to fund the club? West ham fans will hit the roof as well, because that was cash could have spent on players.

I believe the money was to buy assets at the club such as the hotel and training ground, then would be loaned back. 

Just been listening to an update on TalkSport this morning, and there seems to be a real feeling that they could be done.

Players and staff have gone 5 months without payment. 

8 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I believe the money was to buy assets at the club such as the hotel and training ground, then would be loaned back. 

Just been listening to an update on TalkSport this morning, and there seems to be a real feeling that they could be done.

Players and staff have gone 5 months without payment. 

It’s looking very hard to see any way out of this one for Bolton. 

Guest Moomintroll
It’s looking very hard to see any way out of this one for Bolton. 
It is getting to the desperation stages for them now, fear that they & Bury will not make it to the end of the year. Could cause chaos in League One.

9 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

It is getting to the desperation stages for them now, fear that they & Bury will not make it to the end of the year. Could cause chaos in League One.

Hopefully 2 great old clubs can pull through Moomin.