Scotland vs Cyprus saturday match thread

2 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Very lucky to get the win last night, taking it to the corner flag against Cyprus at home is the most peak Scotland thing i have ever seen.

We sat off them far too much, brophy done nothing but had no service at all, like others are saying, i would start burke against Belgium just for his pace and more physical presence.

O'Donnell had another shocker imo, looked scared to cross the half way line and he has no pace. 3 times quick kick from Cyprus keeper caught us out, 3rd time led to the corner they scored from because that tosser Forrest let the ball bounce, honestly dont see what this guy does, wont track back, pulls out of tackles and cant beat a man. Fraser and Roberston are streets ahead of anyone else in the team in terms of quality.

We are in a position due to the humping in Kazakhstan, were we now need to take something from the games against Belgium, on last nights showing it is a very long shot.

The Kilmarnock players were slow and not enough ability

Just not equipped for that level

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

I thought O'Donnell looked limited but he is fast as f**k and he almost scored a one on one

Honestly don't understand what people are watching sometimes

He consistently gave the ball away

In first half often when got to halfway cut inside and battered it forward to opposition with his wrong foot

Mcginn reminds me very much of a younger Scott Brown when playing for Scotland. Whilst running about like a headless chicken it may often work in kick and rush clogger leagues you become a bit undone as you go up a level. It took Brown a couple of years to adapt when at us so Im hoping game time in the EPL will help him next season. Morons will say we ‘ruined’ Browns attacking threat but really he couldn’t effect as well as others so he adjusted his game accordingly to compete at that level.

This has nothing to do with Rangers or any other club for that matter, but you can never resist bringing them into any debate can you? Knobend.
For the record, I think Steve Clarke is the best man for the Scotland job, but the quality of player just isn't there and that was painfully evident again last night and if I was a Scotland fan I would be tearing my hair out watching that knowing that's the best team they could realistically hope to put out.
As your not a Scotland fan why don't you just f**k off back to follow follow you bigoted *** p***k?

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

This has nothing to do with Rangers or any other club for that matter, but you can never resist bringing them into any debate can you? Knobend.

For the record, I think Steve Clarke is the best man for the Scotland job, but the quality of player just isn't there and that was painfully evident again last night and if I was a Scotland fan I would be tearing my hair out watching that knowing that's the best team they could realistically hope to put out.

"the quality of player just isn't there" 

I hear this one a lot.

Do you seriously think Norn Irn has better players than us? Or Iceland?

Steve Clark revolutionised my club, with largely the same players. He took a bunch of guys who were whipping boys for the likes of the rangers and celtic  and took them, over time,  from the bottom of the league into Europe.   

As a killie fan, i used to go to watch games against the old infirm hoping to keep the score down.

Under Clarke, we were going to those games full of confidence. We gave celtic a few bloody noses and we skelped sevco over and over. Not because we had spent cash we don't have on world-class players. They did it because the Killie boys were organised, clinical and worked their arses off as a team.

Clark will bring success to Scotland.

In my experience, it's only bitter **** who have a problem with him.

We are in a position due to the humping in Kazakhstan, were we now need to take something from the games against Belgium, on last nights showing it is a very long shot.

IIRC someone on here stated that’s not I true. Pretty sure we need to take something off Russia away and beat them at home, I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think we need Belgium to beat Russia as well and it can work out we can go above them.

11 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

O'Donnell had another shocker imo, looked scared to cross the half way line and he has no pace...... 

that tosser Forrest let the ball bounce, honestly dont see what this guy does, wont track back, pulls out of tackles and cant beat a man. 

O'Donnell looked wary to get forward because Forrest was having a shocker. 

O'Donnell is an attacking RB, he's up and down the wing for us. But only because Chris Burke or whoever covers for him.

As for him not having any pace? That's just utter pish.

Did you see him outpace their defence for his shot on goal?

Totally agree about Forrest. He was the one who curtailed SOD's attacking play. 

6 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

"At least Clarke hasnae got any of they darkies in the team" (I should have really reported him for this)

You really should have letting that go is pretty poor.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Who are folk suggesting we play at RB instead?

I thought O'Donnell did fine last night but if Ryan Fredricks can play for Scotland then I think he would be a better option.

I thought O'Donnell did ok last night as did Brophy with no service whatsoever. However I also thought Forrest had a decent game, the biggest problem we have is that we're playing everything down the left side and are so predictable.

Burke is now being hailed as a good-in-air striker? Every time I've watched him he been the very definition of dug-meat.

Brophy didn't have a great game last night but far too many folk are writing off his entire career based on one game, which is just daft. I also don't know where the hatred for O'Donnell comes (and I'm an ayr fan FFS). He did fine, and that run in the second half almost resulted in a worldy.

We're not blessed with talent, incase anyone hadn't noticed. Clarke will mould his team well, and hopefully get it right.

I thought we were far, far too cautious in the first half last night, but ultimately we got out of jail - and the win was all that mattered. Against Belgium the opposite is true. I think our performance matters much more than the result (it's a free hit, but I want to see us compete more than last time against them).

I wouldn't have booed, but I'd have been audibly exasperated with some of the slow build up of the first half. We let them dominate the early exchanges, and never put them under enough pressure. But in the end, it's a win.

I don’t buy this shit that “we are not blessed with talent”. Yes we dont have talent in all positions but we have some excellent players in the team and available. We just need someone to put it all together. We have

- arguably the best left back in the world
- a left winger being touted for arsenal
- all of our centre midfielders play at a very decent level
- a right winger who, on his day, is a top player

Add to this the number of players who, if were available, also play at a very good level.

We now have a decent manager who should be able to bring it all together. He had about three weeks ti pick his first squad and went with players who are known to him. I have no doubts that his squad will develop over the next few games as he tries to entice some of the players back and gets to know players. Last night was really all about the win. Additionally, our hopes are probably almost gone anyways so might as well use these games in anticipation of the play off games.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I don’t buy this shit that “we are not blessed with talent”. Yes we dont have talent in all positions but we have some excellent players in the team and available. We just need someone to put it all together. We have

Add to this the number of players who, if were available, also play at a very good level.

We now have a decent manager who should be able to bring it all together. He had about three weeks ti pick his first squad and went with players who are known to him. I have no doubts that his squad will develop over the next few games as he tries to entice some of the players back and gets to know players. Last night was really all about the win. Additionally, our hopes are probably almost gone anyways so might as well use these games in anticipation of the play off games.

The slow tempo was the main annoyance for me, however despite what some think, Cyprus are no mugs and ultimately we walked away with the 3 points, so job done.

Also, the anti-O'Donnell squad are talking out of their arses.
He played fine, almost got the 2nd after a typical  lung-bursting run and didn't give away any goals (unlike Robbo).
McGinn seems to have at least one serious howler for Scotland every time he plays and nearly cost us a goal last night, but he avoids criticism.
McKenna and Mulgrew were made to look like a pair of fannies as they allowed a guy to run onto a simple pass straight through the middle of them.

I accept that the squad need time to play together and to get to know the style of play. Unfortunately, the next game is against the best team in the world.
Luckily Sir Steve's Clarke's in charge.
If he thinks McGinn, McKenna, O'Donnell, Mulgrew, Forrest etc are good enough, then that's fine by me.
I was just waiting for people to start blaming brophy, they really couldn't wait, it's absolutely hilarious that he's been written off after one game. Nevermind the fact that Forrest put in dreadful cross after dreadful cross, brophy made a few runs waiting for the ball behind but the players decided to work it out wide for yet another Forrest masterclass. Was he great? No. But it was his first game and the service was absolutely shameful, even if the balls in the box were good, that isn't his game (you literally just need to look at the size of him FFS). Is he good enough? Maybe not, but if you think he can be judged off of last night you're clueless. Get the ball in to his feet, get other players around him, STOP trying to put it on his head, then if it doesn't work out, we can go back to the tried and tested failures. As for the O'Donnell criticism, it's laughable, he's not a world beater but he played fine, the fact he's been one of the main targets when there was some abysmal defending from the rest of the defence that could have lead to goals is just pathetic really.

I was talking about RB and up front though, and defending those two players (the criticism is over the top).

Of course we have some very good players, but there are areas of weakness that the manager has to try and deal with - but it's not like there's a pool of unused talent.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If you think he's slow I'd suggest watching him again. The rest, fair enough - he's definitely limited.

He got outpaced in a footrace by one of their centre halfs

Maybe the centre half was lightning

40 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I thought O'Donnell did ok last night as did Brophy with no service whatsoever. However I also thought Forrest had a decent game, the biggest problem we have is that we're playing everything down the left side and are so predictable.

The reason everything goes down the left is in part due to the limitations of the right wing back