Wimbledon and the grass court season

lichtie23

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Brilliant match, and Big Roger will be back in the players' lounge in time for the United game.

Got in just as the match started, now I'm hoping Shankers fires in a quick hat trick so I can watch the boxing.

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Spectacular by Federer, he glided about the court like an 18 yr old. Absolutely skooled Nadal. We really are blessed to be watching this!

Yes he was excellent and deserved his win. Brilliant player. 

Suspect the final might be a step too far but who knows.

Federer fully deserved that. Whoever wins the battle between Nadal's forehand and Federer's backhand generally wins these matches. Roger won that battle today.

Looking forward to Sunday. Should be a good one.

6 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Most of them are. The BBC Wimbledon commentator clique is the biggest form of cronyism in the country. Boris, Lloyd, Castle and Henman should have been emptied years ago. Inverdale isn't even a commentator by-trade which makes it all more puzzling.

The ITV and Eurosport commentators are miles better.

I think the reason for those commentators is the that Wimbledon is mainstream TV unlike any other tournament and millions of viewers probably barely watch tennis at any other time if the year, and are relatively interested in royal box chat and which celebrities are attending. Andrew Castle used to present breakfast TV and is pretty good at combining a decent tennis knowledge and celebrity spotting, similar with Inverdale (minus the tennis knowledge bit). As irritating as they are.

The likes of McEnroe, Becker and Henman are there as they are familiar and provide some nostalgia for the casual tennis fan who has only every really watched Wimbledon. People like the tradition of Wimbledon and checking in every year with their favourite players from the past is a bit if that.

As depressing as it is, I think BBC have to play to the crowd slightly. Tonight's match probably had 5-6 million people viewing, would the majority of those watching rather the gaps in play were filled with in-depth stats with heat maps and return hit points, or would they rather look at David Beckham in the royal box and listen to Andrew Castle getting McEnroe to reminisce about when he played? Perhaps I am doing the average Wimbledon watcher a disservice, but I don't think I am.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

He should have been binned after the incident with Bartoli.
Becker is the absolute definition of great player, shite pundit. I know it's not his first language, but at times the pish he spouts makes you wonder if he understood the game when he was playing.
This is nonsense. Becker helped guide djokovic to one of his most successful spells. He clearly understand the game.

And despite not being his first language, his English is excellent.

Folk don't half like a commentator moan.

Federer fully deserved that. Whoever wins the battle between Nadal's forehand and Federer's backhand generally wins these matches. Roger won that battle today.
Looking forward to Sunday. Should be a good one.
Exactly strange though, according to the Stats post match it was really Fed forehand and serve which won that..

This is nonsense. Becker helped guide djokovic to one of his most successful spells. He clearly understand the game.

And despite not being his first language, his English is excellent.

Folk don't half like a commentator moan.
Completely agree. I think Becker is a fantastic commentator