Should gambling sponsorship be banned from football?

Should gambling sponsorship be banned from football?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can certainly look back through history and see the same arguments... about promoting smoking (which has been banned entirely), drinking (which has been clamped down on), 'pay day' loans, now gambling, next perhaps junkfood.

If so Scottish football has its eggs in one basket. Tunnocks Caramel Wafers can't sponsor everything.

As far as im concerned gambling and football comes hand in hand at any level of the game.

Its all down to the individual person and knowing their limits.

Most of my memories going to watch the football as a kid involved some form of gambling, standing outside the bookies before the game while my auld man put his coupon on, first scorer during the game on the bus or super 6.

I like a punt but i know when to say enough is enough.

Did Cameron not lift loads of legislation on gambling and advertising it when he came into power in 2010?  It's only been in the last 10 years where it's been shoved down our throats.

20 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

As far as im concerned gambling and football comes hand in hand at any level of the game.

Its all down to the individual person and knowing their limits.

Most of my memories going to watch the football as a kid involved some form of gambling, standing outside the bookies before the game while my auld man put his coupon on, first scorer during the game on the bus or super 6.

I like a punt but i know when to say enough is enough.

Exactly, your Dad managed to put his coupon on fine all by himself, he didn't need flashing neon advertising round the pitch or Ray Winstone's floating head to tell him what to do. I'm not saying gambling should be banned, I'm saying that the level of advertising is ridiculous. Fair enough if you know your limits and can stay within them, but there are those who aren't so lucky.

Exactly, your Dad managed to put his coupon on fine all by himself, he didn't need flashing neon advertising round the pitch or Ray Winstone's floating head to tell him what to do. I'm not saying gambling should be banned, I'm saying that the level of advertising is ridiculous. Fair enough if you know your limits and can stay within them, but there are those who aren't so lucky.
Do you think those who are addicted would be less tempted if it was?

They'll do it regardless....

The cash involved for sponsorship will be astronomical

Gambling culture in Germany is totally different compared to the UK. Number of bookies shops is minuscule, and most are occupied by Turks / folk from the Balkans. Online betting on horse-racing is not allowed. As regards sponsorship, just 3 clubs (Paderborn, Osnabrück & Sandhausen) have a betting company (sunmaker) as their shirt sponsor. Next to all BL & BL2 coverage is shown exclusively on Skysports. There the programs have bookies adverts left, right & centre. Doesn‘t seem to have had the effect of growing a customer-base. 

Do you think those who are addicted would be less tempted if it was?

They'll do it regardless....

The cash involved for sponsorship will be astronomical

It makes a difference to those who want to quit. My ex-partner was a gambler and yes, it makes a massive difference.

The temptation is always there but a lot of the will to quit relies on will-power and avoidance, both of which are made seriously difficult by constant advertising I.e if there was an ad at half-time, my ex could use that time to go to the loo or get a beer and avoid it, but during the game, seeing a ad will trigger the idea that he could put £10 on the next corner or something like that.

Having gone with him to Gamblers Anon, they had a group for partners at the same time, I know he wasn’t alone in that.

• 1 year later...

Baseball is one of my favorite sports alongside soccer and MMA. I have been watching baseball since I was in the fifth grade and I still love it just as much as I did back then. I even follow read news articles and follow betting pages such as https://www.americanodds.com/mlb/mlb-computer-picks to make sure the Chicago Cubs are favorites every time. However, when problems like these occur and interrupt the flow of the sport by postponing matches or canceling them I get more and more frustrated with the managing that is going on at some teams in the League.

Edited by Chloehill

I'd also support stronger legislation against football and gambling.

I noticed a senior class in school completely caught up in all sorts of bets, and although my dad put a coupon on for me once a week and i gamble quite a lot - i think it should receive much less coverage for the good of society.

There was an interesting documentary on Channel 4 earlier this week about the influence gambling has within football. It was presented by Ruth Davidson so if you can get past that fact then it's well worth watching.