Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I saw ninety minutes of an eighteen year old Džeko against Turkey in Sarajevo and had no clue he was anything but average.

There have been many other names I've watched and thought they were future stars (e.g. Ante Čorić) who turned out to be duds.

There's a reason why clubs take a venture capital approach to signing players: it's very difficult to assess which will turn out to be stars until they're in their twenties.

10 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

I’ll do it for you. I watched a 21 year old Luca Modric (whom I’d never heard of at the time) piss all over England’s midfield when Croatia beat them 2-0 in 2006 and immediately thought “that guy is fucking class”

Exactly, I dont think having that opinion marks you out as some kind of football nostradamus.

Off hand first time I seen Rooney, first couple of Everton games. Getting the ball every time and charging towards goal like a human wrecking ball 🤣 It was obvious he was amazing.

Same with messi just stood out an absolute mile. Ronaldo took longer to learn, but his talent was absolutely blindingly obvious.

Closer to home I remember going with morton to play celtic away. And being absolutely bowled over by a really young Tierney. Who I think was 18, must have got to the bye line 4 or 5 times in the game. And played some brilliant crosses. Not only that, he was like watching a 27 year old Spanish or Italian top flight player. Literally didn't have a weakness.

I remember going back and telling my rangers supporting mate, who was dubious. And says "aye he's only playing morton tho". My reply was honestly, he will play for an arsenal a man u or a Chelsea.

There loads more I could say, again I dont think its in anyway special to be spotting someone already at a top club.

And sure ill get some wrong too. If im wrong about gilmour fair enough. Come back in 5 years and pick me up on it.

But tbh id still rather be the guy who had an opinion rather than the guy who's still unable to have an opinion unless he's watched a player for 2 seasons. And let's face it, probably still won't be brave enough to have an opinion.

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

ok mate, glad you squeezed that in there somewhere. 😅

Im not sure what you mean, I've made it very clear in a number of posts that its not difficult and shouldn't be viewed as such to spot a young player already playing for a big club. At a very high level. 

If you can't do that, its no big deal. Its just football.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Never mind Gilmour, we have unearthed  numerous scouts on here. Can you guys find us a striker on a par with Lukaku?

Im v.good at scouting fantasists and roasters and I think I have unearthed a topper on here. A World class one.

Just now, gannonball said:

Im v.good at scouting fantasists and roasters and I think I have unearthed a topper on here. A World class one.

So your a celtic fan, are you saying you don't look at the players and make judgements on how good they are? You just sit there, unable to express an opinion on a players potential? Why do you even go 🤣

You never looked at Tierney and thought he was ridiculously comfortable, even when he first came through?

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So your a celtic fan, are you saying you don't look at the players and make judgements on how good they are? You just sit there, unable to express an opinion on a players potential? Why do you even go 🤣

You never looked at Tierney and thought he was ridiculously comfortable, even when he first came through?

After one game? I do but only go as far to predict they will be a regular or a good player for us. It would be moronic to predict a player would be world class after one game. Tierney looked brilliant in his start but had a few bad injuries by that point and cramped up after an hour and had to go off, given his position especially requires a high level of fitness I just feared his body might not match his attitude but he was a talent for sure. Forrest ‘looked’ a world beater when he came on as a sub as a 16 year old. To emphasise my point of using one game , He terrified the life out of every defender and then scored a header. At which point I thought this guy has it all, However what I didn't know was that he was very much a confidence player and wouldn’t score a header for nearly another decade.

Edited by gannonball

30 minutes ago, gannonball said:

After one game? I do but only go as far to predict they will be a regular or a good player for us. It would be moronic to predict a player would be world class after one game. Tierney looked brilliant in his start but had a few bad injuries by that point and cramped up after an hour and had to go off, given his position especially requires a high level of fitness I just feared his body might not match his attitude but he was a talent for sure. Forrest ‘looked’ a world beater when he came on as a sub as a 16 year old. To emphasise my point of using one game , He terrified the life out of every defender and then scored a header. At which point I thought this guy has it all, However what I didn't know was that he was very much a confidence player and wouldn’t score a header for nearly another decade.

So you make the exact same kind of predictions as me.

On 05/07/2021 at 14:07, BingMcCrosby said:

of course its not ridiculous you could tell someone would be world class after a few games. Or even one, sometimes its just blindingly obvious. I've done it and got it right loads of times.

22 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Off hand first time I seen Rooney, first couple of Everton games. Getting the ball every time and charging towards goal like a human wrecking ball 🤣 It was obvious he was amazing.

Same with messi just stood out an absolute mile. Ronaldo took longer to learn, but his talent was absolutely blindingly obvious.

Closer to home I remember going with morton to play celtic away. And being absolutely bowled over by a really young Tierney. Who I think was 18, must have got to the bye line 4 or 5 times in the game. And played some brilliant crosses. Not only that, he was like watching a 27 year old Spanish or Italian top flight player. Literally didn't have a weakness.

I remember going back and telling my rangers supporting mate, who was dubious. And says "aye he's only playing morton tho". My reply was honestly, he will play for an arsenal a man u or a Chelsea.

You're happy enough to promote the times when you got it right, but you aren't telling us the times when you got it wrong. So I'll ask again, which players did you get wrong pal?

Edited by 2426255

23 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You're happy enough to promote the times when you got it right, but you aren't telling us the times when you got it wrong. So I'll ask again, which players did you get wrong pal?

So I've said sometimes I'll judge a player and get it wrong. But you want me to provide an actual list of players I've judged and got it wrong? I cant be bothered with that pointless exercise which proves nothing. Ask as many times as you like.

Also I wasn't promoting the times I've got it right, I could have said an awful lot more. That was just small examples of judging players quickly and correctly, I've done it loads of times correctly.

Again for the 100th time, its not anything special. Most people who watch football can do this. These players are playing for top teams. Often these players are majorly hyped before the game, so your watching them closer.

Your going to have to accept your not a good judge of a player and just move on. Pal

On 10/07/2021 at 01:35, DiegoDiego said:

I saw ninety minutes of an eighteen year old Džeko against Turkey in Sarajevo and had no clue he was anything but average.

There have been many other names I've watched and thought they were future stars (e.g. Ante Čorić) who turned out to be duds.

There's a reason why clubs take a venture capital approach to signing players: it's very difficult to assess which will turn out to be stars until they're in their twenties.

The guy Isco was an absolute standout for Spain in the Olympic football held at Hampden.   He was streets ahead of his teammates and opponents.  Didn’t turn out to be *quite* that good when he got older, but he still oozes class.

Edited by Savage Henry

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I cant be bothered with that pointless exercise which proves nothing.

It would provide additional evidence that you can't accurately predict how good a football player will be in the future based on one game seen in the present.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

The guy Isco was an absolute standout for Spain in the Olympic football held at Hampden.   He was streets ahead of his teammates and opponents.  Didn’t turn out to be *quite* that good when he got older, but he still oozes class.

Just the 336 appearances for Real Madrid, 38 caps for Spain and four Champions Leagues.

Edited by craigkillie

59 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It would provide additional evidence that you can't accurately predict how good a football player will be in the future based on one game seen in the present.

Only if you believe there are only 2 possible positions, being infallible and getting everything wrong.

I've certainly never claimed to be infallible.

Your welcome to think I get everything wrong.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

So what have we learned here then? You get some right, you get some wrong. You can't predict with certainty whether Billy Gilmour will become a world class player or anyone else for that matter? Is that fair?

Edited by 2426255