Ayr United vs Queen of the South

Have seen the El Bak chance again he has to pass to Dobbie but if not he must score did not realise his chance was as easy either side of Doohan it is a goal but not straight at him very poor from El Bak no wonder he has such a poor recent scoring record 
Of course he should score or pass. No one is disputing that. To say he isn't a team player because he never passed is utterly ludicrous though.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we did. QOTS were shite, you can’t only go on chances you determine who deserves to win a game of football. They had 2 golden opportunities in the first half which were well saved by Doohan. The Murray shot isn’t a good chance, if it goes in it’s a fantastic goal but 9/10 they don’t go in. Even the volley from El Bakhtaoui isn’t an easy chance.

We defended really well in the second half and for a lot of the first and us winning was a pretty fair reflection on the game. We just didn’t play that well though.
I base it on who created the best chances, and who generally dominated the game.

I thought Queens dominated the first half, and overall created better chances. Harvie was being molested early on and we were all at sea. We put together a few nice patches of football but the goal came from nothing, and was against the run of play.

Yeah we defended well in the second half but we didn't create much going forward. I thought it was a pretty even half of football with us getting into some good areas but generally not creating much. They huffed and puffed but didn't really trouble us, other than the header (which I thought was a tremendous save).

Thought we were the better side especially in the first half but when you miss decent chances there is an inevitability about the “sucker punch” that invariably follows.

Thought Kelly was excellent - just the type of midfielder that we are crying out for.

Hindsight is easy but Dobbie would have been better on bench coming on for last 20 mins. El Bak did well but seems to be really lacking confidence in front of goal. With the exception of Pybus our midfield was pretty weak and Lyons was really ineffective.

Thought Brownlie was excellent and in reality Ayr created virtually nothing in open play. Hugely disappointing result but we appear for the time being, to have tightened up at the back. Goalie is a huge upgrade on Martin.

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

Folk getting g wound up because a team had more chances than them , here is me thinking that it’s the scoring of goals that win games , we scored 1 they scored 0 , think that declares us the winners , I would rather the Away team had 12 chances and we had 1 and won the game rather than the other way round 

As Jimmy Sirrell once said - the best team always wins, the rest is just gossip. 

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of course we did. QOTS were shite, you can’t only go on chances you determine who deserves to win a game of football. They had 2 golden opportunities in the first half which were well saved by Doohan. The Murray shot isn’t a good chance, if it goes in it’s a fantastic goal but 9/10 they don’t go in. Even the volley from El Bakhtaoui isn’t an easy chance.

We defended really well in the second half and for a lot of the first and us winning was a pretty fair reflection on the game. We just didn’t play that well though.

I’m glad someone gets it.  This chances = goals argument is nonsense.  The Alan Forrest shot is a perfect example.  It was a decent effort but it was too close to the keeper and a good height - you’d expect the keeper to save it.  But I could come on here and argue that if he’d hit it harder, maybe set it outside the far post with more dip and curl then it would have been a goal, so really we could have won the game 2-0.  Not how it works.  The shot he hit is the one you see in the highlights.

Just now, Margaret Thatcher said:

Does it matter that some of you think one way and others think the other? You can all do a post and those of us who weren't there will aggregate the lot. Arguing with someone because they saw it differently just makes the thread shit. K, thx.

Fans forums would be f***** if we agreed not to argue about stuff.

Just now, Mgc1910 said:

Fans forums would be f***** if we agreed not to argue about stuff.

Lolol not really. Most threads start off with good discussion and then degenerate into arguing about inane points. And if you don't agree I'll see you outside the Arena next game and we can "discuss" it.

I’m glad someone gets it.  This chances = goals argument is nonsense.  The Alan Forrest shot is a perfect example.  It was a decent effort but it was too close to the keeper and a good height - you’d expect the keeper to save it.  But I could come on here and argue that if he’d hit it harder, maybe set it outside the far post with more dip and curl then it would have been a goal, so really we could have won the game 2-0.  Not how it works.  The shot he hit is the one you see in the highlights.

Forrest's chance was Ayr's best chance of the game. But going by your logic it wasn't noteworthy? What constitutes a good chance for you?

The whole game is about creating chances.

After that it's down to finishing, keepers, and luck...

The worst football in the world is possession based with no penetration.

Forrest's chance was definitely our second best chance to score (and very similar to the one he scored against Morton). Fortunately we didn't need it yesterday.

Sometimes goals are scored (and games are won) without creating chances but it's incredibly rare (see James McFadden in Paris).

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

D'jaffo not in a million years did Ayr deserve to win that game.

I understand we scored a goal and Queen of the South did not.  

3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Seem to remember him reaming your lot several times, including a superb overheard kick.

Absolutely did.  

That player is long gone now though. 

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 hours ago, pandarilla said:
D'jaffo not in a million years did Ayr deserve to win that game.

You're fighting a losing battle m8.

I agree with him 100%, and I know the guys that were with me also thought we "got away with murder" as one of them put it.

Irrespective of whether Queens created their chances through excellent play or we created them for them through poor play and lapses in concentration is neither here nor there, the fact remains that they had at least 4 gilt edged chances which on another day would have found the back of the net.

Ultimately we took the 3 points and nothing any of us say on here will change that, however I can only be honest and say that from my perspective we were outplayed for the majority of the match and if I was a Queens fan I'd have thought we deserved a win, never mind not even getting a draw out of it.

Likewise, I thought we deserved at least a draw against Dundee at Dens last week and I also thought that we deserved to beat Morton by 6 or 7 a couple of weeks back, however on this occasion we were most definitely second best in almost every outfield department but won the most important one which was the scoreline.

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it would be a rather boring forum if we all agreed with each other 100% of the time.................

There's no doubt Queens were the better side over the 90 minutes, they had far more good opportunities as well.

Queens chose to close down quickly and harry while we chose to sit in when on the back foot, probably why Queens looked a wee bit leggier in the closing stages.

Doohan made 2 or 3 quality saves while Kelly's technique for his goal was excellent.

I thought Dobbie had a very quiet game and looked tired after 35 minutes, can understand why El Bak was selfish with his gift from Bell, that apart, I thought he showed loads of class with his control at times, there won't be many front 2's better than El Bak and Dobbie once the auld yin is fit and they learn how to play for each other, thankfully we've dodged that bullet for now.

Our passing was very poor but I'll put that down to the heat, a wee shower or 2 would have suited us better.

I'll take that 3 points all day long as I've watched us playing miles better and getting nowt a hundred times.

I was expecting a more spectacular goal from what I'd read.  Kelly catches it nicely, but it looks saveable to me.

Otherwise, El Bak should definitely have used more intelligence to give Dobbie as big a gift as he'd just received, himself.

I actually thought the Ayr penalty shout was a decent one in the second half, but it's not been mentioned that much.

We really need a win on Saturday.

I was expecting a more spectacular goal from what I'd read.  Kelly catches it nicely, but it looks saveable to me.
Otherwise, El Bak should definitely have used more intelligence to give Dobbie as big a gift as he'd just received, himself.
I actually thought the Ayr penalty shout was a decent one in the second half, but it's not been mentioned that much.
We really need a win on Saturday.

Tbf to the goalie it looks like it bounces right in front of him so he probably misreads it.

Archived