FM 2020

ajwffc

After all the deliberating deciding which German team to go I decided to start a save with...... Aberdeen :lol: Can't be arsed with a full thread dedicated to a story so will just update briefly every few months in here

Transfer business

image.png.7b8345a55d4dda7e2e31bc0a99751fa5.png

Williams can play anywhere on the right hand side, Harvie left back, Edmondson striker.

I was actually happy to go with that until...

image.png.eba93b65c7d68a901421497af3705edf.png

But despite the blow we acted quite fast in the quest for a replacement...

image.png.ea2493e70e905a45c95e2ff30aa9bc04.png

League

Shaping up like so at the half way stage

image.thumb.png.07f905e0394001572bca251045981175.png

image.png.cd6bfd4ae2bc379f5042912249724ae7.png

A couple of cases of "what if" so far. My first 3 games were diabolical and the Celtic game we were 3-1 up and chucked it. Ajer equalised with basically the last kick of the ball. That seemed to affect the players too with the defeats to Livi and Ross County following it. Still can't complain at being the best of the rest to date but we really should be closer to Celtic.

Europa League Qualifying

image.thumb.png.c83a96fd159f9c8f7843661a8630869b.png

Frankfurt finally our undoing at the final qualification stage. Very nearly embarrased by Shakhter Soligorsk in the 2nd leg of that tie, was 1-1 up till about 80 mins and they scored 2 goals out of nowhere to put the pressure firmly on. First half of the first leg in Frankfurt fucked it, was 3 down after 20 mins :lol:

Betfred Cup

image.png.437cebef7e395647c352c21a071760f4.png

Huffed and puffed through the rounds and with Rangers and Celtic shock exits only Hearts stood in the way of me equalling Derek McInnes Aberdeen trophy haul already and ending Celtics trophy dominance.

Spoiler

image.png.2c5b7d110ef21b6c5e7b64d2607c8757.png

An absolute fucking borefest of a final settled by a penalty rebound. But when it's in your favour what do you care :)

Elsewhere so far James Tavernier left Rangers for...... Liverpool. 17 million :lol: And an Old Firm goal glut with Celtic thumping Rangers 7-3

Edited by C. Muir

Started an Aberdeen save after seeing they got relegated(!) 

Won the Champ on the final day of the season, in what was probably the most stressful season I’ve had on FM. Players were absolute shitebags and couldn’t handle any poor results and didn’t have a pot to piss in. Likely to be thumped in top flight but got there eventually. 

1 signing in January, the return of Jonny Hayes. Tomas Cerny and Scott Wright left the club.

Ended up losing in the Scottish Cup quarter final at Celtic Park and league table ended up like so.

image.thumb.png.07de23e981f7445875f06df08027567c.png

An unbelivably tight 2,3,4. Had a dip in form for a few weeks second half of the campaign so as usual a story of what if. Take 3rd though. Pretty gutted this result on matchday 36 wasn't enough to finish above Rangers, as I lost the following week to fucking Killie.

image.png.b490e63aece9e72dc0e195daad1f4929.png

Edited by C. Muir

Season 2

Players out. First 2 on loan deals. Fees for the rest were minimal but glad to get Ojo and Hedges in particular off the wage bill. Cannon fodder.

image.png.6bd8b7110e50a55d9cdc2b092827b6f7.png

Players in.

image.png.bacb12a906acb603736495a6b8dbe4c1.png

Gives my squad plenty of strength and depth along with a good mix of youth and experience. Squad list is too big to fit in to one screenshot so will just type it.

GK - Joe Lewis, Jonathan Mitchell
RB - Shay Logan, George Tanner
LB - Stephen Kingsley, Daniel Harvie
CB - Scott McKenna, Andy Considine, Jason Kerr, Oliver Casey, Mikey Devlin
RM/W - Karamoko Dembele
LM/W - Jonny Hayes
W (strong on both sides) - Matty Kennedy, Niall McGinn, Mason Bennett, Jon Gallagher
ST - Louis Moult, Rudy Gestede, Jordan Rhodes, Eamonn Brophy (particularly pleased with these options. Gestede not great ability but a big lump with excellent target man attributes, Brophy on the shoulder and pacey, Rhodes natural finisher/poacher and Moult who can do a bit of the lot, most natural as a deep lying forward but strong enough to play target man or poacher which are my preferred specific roles for my front 2)

I also have 2 excellent looking products of the youth intake in the first team as my head of youth development has done his best to get rid of them for pish fees when they were in the u19s. It doesn't give me the option to take control of reserve/youth transfer offers in the staff roles tab (presumably because of the head of YD in place, all I can do is confirm/cancel transfer for any incoming accepted offers) so promoted them to the first team so I'm in control of the bids too :lol: One is a goalkeeper Tom Ritchie with 2* current ability and 4* potential, the other a right back Calvin Ramsay also with 2* current but 5* potential. He could very well stake a claim for the starting right back berth next season as Logan isn't getting any younger and Tanner is only on loan. So think I will give him a few opportunities this campaign with that in mind.

Edited by C. Muir

Disappointment in Europe as we just couldn't find a way past the Hungarians and they won the lottery of the penalty shootout, exiting a round earlier than last season.

image.png.2d16fd229f909b9f6a8d7d783cea3d1d.png

In other news, there's been a tweak to the European spots for the Scottish Premiership, for the better.

image.png.66215f6029830459e1f18951700afe14.png

Quietly confident of nabbing that 2nd Champions league spot, although if we lose out to Rangers again on GD for 2nd then it'll be even more gutting than last season :lol:

Went decent so far domestically, my only disappointment being conceding a late equaliser at Easter Road, but a point there isn't the worst result on paper.

image.thumb.png.d98c5c87fc2412c86d92572197ca9b02.png

There was more late drama at Ibrox too as Matty Kennedy scored a screamer in injury time to cancel out their 87th minute opener. I've delivered some genuine scenes for travelling Aberdeen fans at Ibrox during my time in charge, 3 of our 4 visits so far we've scored in the last min/injury time (twice to draw, once to win). Of total meetings with them too, 4 out of 5 have been 1-1 with the other being Niall McGinns last min winner for a 1-0 win for me at Ibrox last season.

Neck and neck at the top at the end of August.

image.png.ba91836386c098370ecba658b5852dd3.png

Fell at the league cup semi final stage to, you guessed it, Celtic. Narrow 1-0 victory for them in a game I created plenty in. Frustrating.

Going into the winter break the league tables shaping up like so

image.png.db6d52e8ebbbf333313e29901023cac9.png

Barring a collapse (most likely me :lol:) the top 4 looks pretty set in stone already. Rangers finally got a win against me, 1-0 at Pittodrie. Was involved in plenty of high scoring games in December!

image.png.052240bf4e547440f9beaac4c6c086a6.png

Only January business so far has been the sale of Niall McGinn to Seoul. He was likely to leave at the end of the season when his contract expires anyway so not bad to get a few quid for him.

First game back was a local derby, a short trip to North Lodge Park to play Formartine Utd in the Scottish Cup. The hosts were shown no mercy.

image.png.e2d401bed8b215bf54f99f9b7dd2d155.png

Comfortable winners despite plenty of changes including reserve players Michael Ruth and Ethan Ross getting an opportunity. In typical FM fashion, I was 6-0 up at half time expecting double figures but nothing happened in the second half.

A 4-2 defeat at Celtic Park in the first league game back from winter break but the following match day threw up some drama.

image.png.ad0c1bebc6c278629db96fd15f4f433e.png

My 3-2-2-2 formation gamble after going down to 10 men worked a treat! And the Old Firm both suffer shock defeats.

image.png.80d855b24f00c4e54c451d4ffc4b82a4.png

Still 14 points seperating 4th and 5th.

One thing I'm delighted with this season is the amount of goals we're scoring. For comparison we only managed 55 in the whole of last season and already surpassed that this year with 15 games to go. On the flipside though the goals conceded column is worrying, although my formation doesn't help that with the defence getting next to no protection from the players further up the park. Usually centre mids of Ferguson and Bryson/McGeouch, wingers playing AM each side, and 2 strikers. I play wing backs too so when they get forward I am unbelievably exposed :lol: At least our matches are exciting for the neutral.

Edited by C. Muir

On 18/12/2019 at 01:58, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

How can it be cheating if it's literally a feature of the game? I'll admit that it's not very realistic, but to say it's cheating is nothing but codswallop. 

On 18/12/2019 at 12:20, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

It's not cheating, it's game manipulation. 

You are one sad b*****d.

@C. Muir nice to see Celtic are a monster outfit in your save too.

In my first Scottish save this season they went about 3 seasons unbeaten and have players signing for £40m and over £100k a week.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

@C. Muir nice to see Celtic are a monster outfit in your save too.

In my first Scottish save this season they went about 3 seasons unbeaten and have players signing for £40m and over £100k a week.

They're monster in about every single save I've done in the last 3/4 years 😂

In this particular save they brought in 86 million in transfers (Ntcham, Bitton, Ajer, Griffiths, Edouard plus a few youngsters) and spent 51 million.

Ran into them again in cup compeition, semi final of the Scottish this time. Already lost to them in the semi final of the Betfred this season and quarter final of Scottish last season.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

You are one sad b*****d.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Quite the brass neck calling anyone a sad b*****d given you've just trawled back through 5 months worth of posts on a thread discussing a computer game. 

If we're talking about sad b*****ds I have played an unhealthy amount of hours on FM20 since buying :lol:

5 hours ago, C. Muir said:

A 4-2 defeat at Celtic Park in the first league game back from winter break but the following match day threw up some drama.

image.png.ad0c1bebc6c278629db96fd15f4f433e.png

My 3-2-2-2 formation gamble after going down to 10 men worked a treat! And the Old Firm both suffer shock defeats.

image.png.80d855b24f00c4e54c451d4ffc4b82a4.png

Still 14 points seperating 4th and 5th.

One thing I'm delighted with this season is the amount of goals we're scoring. For comparison we only managed 55 in the whole of last season and already surpassed that this year with 15 games to go. On the flipside though the goals conceded column is worrying, although my formation doesn't help that with the defence getting next to no protection from the players further up the park. Usually centre mids of Ferguson and Bryson/McGeouch, wingers playing AM each side, and 2 strikers. I play wing backs too so when they get forward I am unbelievably exposed :lol: At least our matches are exciting for the neutral.

Really kicked on after the come back win against Hearts.

image.png.fc7d7164e2eb67b99cb90f17b0cc90a7.png

Even a couple of clean sheets in there! But since then it's been a little inconsistent.

image.png.4574f0ad5bbe8aa3f7a77ce5d5ce3d6b.png

Celtic's victory at Pittodrie mathematically ended my title chances (not that I ever thought I had a chance) and they ended up clinching 10 in a row the following week. My home games against Dundee Utd and Ross County were atrocious and really could cost me 2nd spot. Table looks like so going into the split.

image.png.285c079304b0550d7e277e15e292b386.png

Got it all to do to steal a Champions league spot but I do have Rangers at Pittodrie in the split and of course there's still an Old Firm game so still hope of clawing that points deficit back.

Split fixtures have generated pretty weird, I play my first 3 away and my last 2 at home. Hampden first though for hopefully 3rd time lucky in my meetings with Celtic in cup ties since taking charge.

image.thumb.png.0bee17c1a631e236759b77b39ffd19ea.png

Unfortunately only a 3rd placed finish again, with Rangers taking 2nd comfortably. My only victory in the split was against them :lol: Form was fucking awful. Celtic also eased past me for another cup exit at their hands.

image.thumb.png.3970f12cb2a4cd076c374da10fabe711.png

Here is the top 3 from last season compared to this season

image.thumb.png.c634074e2f751daf54fc7a8413787d0d.png

image.thumb.png.05a51451eaada510bf8fe81cbe6181a6.png

Celtics points gap to 2nd reduced from 38 points to 22. Much better seasons points wise for us and Rangers, so despite the 9 point from me to Rangers compared to last season, we actually had a better campaign. Just unfortunately so did they (and Celtic).

How does this Europa Conference League work btw anyone know? Noticed I've qualified for that and not the Europa League. Seemed strange there's no Europa League spots in the league now, only Champions League and Conference League. Seems to be a tournament below the level of Europa League which slightly irks me that I'm going into that instead.

Edit - scratch that. Table has been amended now. Not sure why it was showing me as in conference league at first.

image.png.0d7a06ab12f96dcb353b49a060aa1cd9.png

Edited by C. Muir

This just happened in the Europa League final....

image.png.67b177cb18a08cf1f7d36104c40cdd35.png

Having just won the Scottish Cup a few days earlier. 10 in a row and a quadruple trophy haul in the same season. Can just picture Chris Sutton in that scenario now.

Edited by C. Muir

3 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Quite the brass neck calling anyone a sad b*****d given you've just trawled back through 5 months worth of posts on a thread discussing a computer game. 

I’ve hardly “trawled” back. I enjoy reading about FM seasons and was taken aback by how much of a complete laughing stock you’d made of yourself. If that makes me a sad b*****d then so be it.

Since you didn’t refute my claim though, I’ll assume you agree with me that cheating to win at FM makes you a Hall of Fame level loser. Do you also save the game and restart it if you lose?

image.png.529b3c532d67af2fec81686ab31138e7.png

Eventually he moves on and plenty of dough in the bank.

Looking ahead to next season I had a little look at the younger players with the view to loaning some of them out for the season for experience. Got some right potential gems here including Calvin Ramsay who was mentioned a few posts back. Connor Barron had been in my u19s since I started the save and has excelled very well by the looks of it! Lewis Neilson a signing my head of youth development made for my reserve squad last season. Longer list is the players in the reserves under 20 years old, of the top 3 Sam McAllister from the latest youth intake, Dennis Robertson and Stirling Buchan from the first youth intake. Rest of them are a mixture of players who were already at the club, players the head of youth has signed and a couple of others of the first season youth intake.

image.thumb.png.ec75a7cdf93e65131d38a8eeddf1529e.png

image.thumb.png.d7f35813c5b913bb7d7d35ad2e042625.png

Only at the start of July but here's current transfer business anyway.

Out

image.png.b3c4fef641f4a9fb0e26a1ad2619ef83.png

image.png.cf6b4730cc7f1ef53c539325879ef940.png

In

image.png.633c616eede3aad724cc8a4181f4955d.png

Hughes a centre half. Other 2 I assume most people will know.

Edited by C. Muir